Where to stay in Monterey?

Mar 22nd, 2004, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Where to stay in Monterey?

We are a young couple who are used to budget accomodations and decided to splurge a little on accomodations this time.

I was enchanted by the Green Gables Inn in Pacific Grove. I actually do have a reservation here, but am considering going somewhere else. They could only accomodate us if we would change rooms each night. Check out is at noon, check in at 4, so we will be paying for a room that we don't have for a few hours, and at 6 months pregnant, I'd like to be able to take a nap if I chose, not to mention I'd rather not have to pack up my stuff and change rooms. $150+ tax per night seems like a lot for this inconvenience and also sharing a bathroom. Are these expensive B&Bs really worth it??

I'd love to stay in a B&B, but maybe we'd get a better value bidding on Priceline. Any suggestions?
Mar 22nd, 2004, 06:54 AM

We called the Green Gables Inn too and were told we would have to switch rooms. We opted to go with the MOnterey PLaza Resort. OUr problem is that we would have 3 people in a room and that is hard to do at a B and B. I have done quite a bit of looking and there are many hotels that include breakfast in MOnterey, but aren't a b and b. Have you tried the Victorian Inn?
Mar 22nd, 2004, 08:24 AM

Check out the Inn at ??(address) 17 Mile Drive. This is actually in Pacifc Grove which is also where Green Gables Inn is. Just do a google search with "Inn on 17 Mile Drive). We haven't stayed here but where intrigued by its look. They do have a website. I've stayed at the Plaza a few times. It's ok. I will tell you if you are heading there in May or later, it's wedding central. There are weddings going on all the time. We were entertained by a particularly festive wedding party who liked the song "Age of Aquarius" over and over again. You might also check out Hotel Pacific,The Doubletree or the Marriott. These are all right in downtown Monterey within close walking distance to the wharf.I think all of them might be available on PL. Friends stayed on the Club floor at the Doubletree for $130/noc midweek.
Mar 22nd, 2004, 08:26 AM

You might also check out The Grandview which is on the water (in close proximity to Green Gables). It's also in Pacific Grove.
Mar 22nd, 2004, 09:58 AM

We atyed at the Monterey Hotel in 2002 and reallt liked it. It is on Alvarado street near Fishermans Wharf - you can walk to everything and right when you walk out the front door there are shops and restaurants (it is right next door to the Marriott) It is and older hotel that was completely restored - probably about 50 rooms but NO elevator so tell them you need the 2nd floor if you don't want to be up and down the stairs while 6 mos pregnant. They have free continental b-fast and afternoon tea and milk and cookies at night! We thought it was great for the money- we laid $89/night in 9/02/ I think they have a website, try montereyhotel.com
Have fun wherever you stay.
Mar 22nd, 2004, 10:03 AM

Inn at Spanish Bay (just inside the Pacific Grove gate to 17 Mile Drive) -- right on the water, with golf course adjacent.

Elegantly casual, exquisite service, fabulous ocean views.
Mar 22nd, 2004, 10:21 AM
E

I just have a general comment: if I were you and spending the most I could afford on a room, I would not want to change rooms every night. IMO, the fanciest B&B in the world wouldn't be worth that inconvenience. I strongly suggest you check out other options, and plan to return to the Green Gables when they can better accomodate you. Have a great trip!
Mar 22nd, 2004, 04:35 PM

I have stayed at the Green Gables and Loved it. When I first booked, we also had two different rooms, but as the trip got closer I kept calling back and got the same room for 3 nights. We stayed in the Chapel Room and I highly recommend it. I have stayed at other B&B's and had to have two different rooms. It was no big deal really, the rooms are right next to each other and the staff ussually move your luggage for you.
The bathrooms are no problem at the Green
Gables. The floor where your room is actually has two bathrooms, both have toilets and one has a bathtub and the other a shower. To be honest I never even saw anyone around when I went to the bathrooms. The Gables also gives you big terrycloth robes to use, so if you do see someone in the hallway ( which is unlikely) it is no big deal. I think you will be pleased with the Gables. Just keep calling back. I only had to call 3 times to get the same room. Also the rooms are so pretty, it is kinda of neat to stay in more than one.
Good Luck
Mar 22nd, 2004, 06:21 PM

San Francisco is your best bet.

Search this Thread