Where to stay in Maui?

Search

Where to stay in Maui?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in Maui?

My husband and I are just starting to plan our trip to Maui. Can anyone give me recommendations for areas to stay, Kihei or Lahiana. We want to find a condo on the beach and snorkel, etc. Any advice on locations, best places to snorkel, not-to-miss activities would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 02:57 PM

Are you looking for budget places, a condo where you can do some cooking, luxery, hotel? Have you anything in mind? Personally, I like the Hyatt in Kanaapali, but have also rented condos a few times. Depends on who I'm traveling with and my budget at the time. I like the activity in Lahaina but others are looking for quiet seclusion. So, give a little more information and you will get tons of suggestions. Also, have you tried the search function yet? You might give it a go while waiting for other responses.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 03:33 PM

Condos in the Kaanapali beach area are good. Just last week stayed at the Mahana and really liked it. Many people on this forum recommend this building. It's a little north of the activity around Whaler's Village but we loved the quiet. There are a lot of condos for rent in Maui. Try www.vrbo.com (for rent by owner). You will get better rates renting directly from the owners in most cases.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 03:45 PM

Piggybacking on this post - we're planning a family trip (Mr. Pickle, two kids ages 20 and 12, and me) to Maui and the Big Island in May.

My bil lives in Makawao, and we'll want to spend some time with him, but we will mostly be exploring on our own. We'd like to try snorkeling, drive the road to Hana, etc.

We're looking at renting a condo or maybe something through VRBO. What area do y'all think would be good for a base?

Lee Ann
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

We are looking for something affordable, but nice and clean. We want to cook a few nights. I saw a couple 1 bedroom condos for about $770 - $1000 a week, is that a good rate. We are looking far a quiet area with activities and nice beaches.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 03:46 PM

Piggybacking on this post - we're planning a family trip (Mr. Pickle, two kids ages 20 and 12, and me) to Maui and the Big Island in May.

My bil lives in Makawao, and we'll want to spend some time with him, but we will mostly be exploring on our own. We'd like to try snorkeling, drive the road to Hana, etc.

We're looking at renting a condo or maybe something through VRBO. What area do y'all think would be good for a base? We'd like to pay no more than $150 a night.

Lee Ann
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 04:49 PM

There aren't too many condos in the Kaanapali area for $150. You could get something close to that price in Napili Bay but lots of them don't have AC. When are you taking your trip? You would definitely want AC in the summer. Kihei is cheaper but didn't seem that nice and the beaches supposedly aren't as good.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 04:50 PM

Laura-Where were the condos that were from $770 to $1000 a week?
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 06:15 PM

We've had good luck staying in the Napili Bay area. The places are not as fancy as the ones in Kanaapali, Kapalua, or Wailea but they are much more reasonable in price and many units are right on the beach or on cliffs overlooking the sea. We go in the fall or spring and have never needed air-conditioning. A studio is fine for a couple since you don't spend that much time in your room but you can cook if you want to eat on your lanai and look at the ocean.

There are good snorkeling coves within walking distance.

We usually book through VRBO but there are many other sites:

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals...west-maui#3043
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 06:55 PM

My wife and I have a trip planned to Maui in late October for 7 days. This will be our 6th trip to Maui. We have rented a condo in Kahana which is about a 5 minute drive to Lahaina. We are staying at the Valley Isle Resort and have an ocean view condo. We have stayed in this area on prior trips and enjoyed the area very much. The condo at Valley Isle that we are staying in is $155. per day and is the nicest in the resort. Here is the link for our condo. You might want to check it out.
http://www.valleyisle705.com/muriel.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 07:13 PM

Laura29

Try this link to view the Valley Isle resort. I don't think the other link will work.

www.valleyisle705.com
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 07:46 PM

The $750 to $1000 for the week is a good deal. But from experience it tells me you are not in the nice area. Stick to Kaanapali, Waliea, or Kapula. Lahiana and definately Kihei is for budget trips.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info...I really appreciate it. What about the Napili Bay/Honokeana Cove area...is that a nice area?
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 03:31 PM

The Kamaole Beach Parks I, II, and II are in Kihei; lots of condos in a good price range. Lahaina is great for those who want the city (and lots of traffic, and a trek to good beaches). There are so many posts on this topic, you should be able to find specific recommendations and pros and cons for all your questions.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 08:06 PM

We went snorkeling in Napali Bay and drove from our condo at the Mahana in Kaanapali along Lower Honoapiilani Rd through the Napali area. It looked nice to me and Napali Bay was a good place for beginners to snorkel.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 12:14 PM

Laura29,

if you look at http://www.homeaway.com/maui/s/1725/fa/find.squery you can personalized your search with the options listed in the left column, and find whatever you need.

Enjoy