Resortquest Kaanapali Shores, Maui

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking of booking the Resortquest Kaanapali Shores in Maui for a family trip but wondering which room type to book. Ocean view 2-bedroom is $543 but can upgrade to the Aloha Suite for another $150. Aloha Suite looks great on the website. It has a wraparound balcony and extra space (2005 sq.ft. vs. 1231 sq.ft. for the standard 2-bedroom). Any comments from people who have stayed in the Aloha Suite. Is it worth the extra money?
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 07:35 AM

Is that $543 per night and $150 upgrade per night?

Granted, it has been a couple years since I've been to Maui, but that seems pretty high for a two-bedroom unit, considering the Shores isn't really in the main drag of Kaanapali.

I really try not to suggest other places to people once they've decided on a particular property, and yes, the Shores is a very nice place; however, the beach is quite small and there is lots of coral in the water directly in front of the condos.

I'm presuming you've checked rates at the Kaanapali Alii, another condo complex with large 2-bedroom ocean front units, but right smack dab in the middle of what most consider the prime area of Kaanapali.

So to answer your question, if you can afford the extra $150, you'd probably enjoy the upgrade. It's got good views to the ocean and outlying islands.

Aloha and
Happy travels y'all!
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Kopp. Yes, that's per night! I think the cost is outrageous but wanted something nice as I'm traveling with my elderly parents. We're going right after Christmas and I understand this is high season. My travel agent had us booked in two 1-bedroom units at the Castle Kamaole Sands but I was a little concerned after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor plus we wanted to keep the family all together if possible. The Kaanapali Shores looked like a better property and we could get a 2-bedroom unit to accommodate everyone. I'll check out the Kaanapali Alii you mentioned. If we can get something as nice but for less money, we'll have more to spend on activities (maybe even the helicopter ride!).
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 01:04 PM

You should be able to find a nice hotel or condo for a lot less, and like you say, you'll have more $$$ for other activities.

Try these sites to compare hotels:

www.hawaii-hotels.com Scroll to the bottom and where it says VISIT click on Maui hotels or Maui condos.

www.bookit.com

www.hawaii.com

also www.vrbo.com for other alternatives.
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Dusty, I did check out vrbo but there wasn't much left for a large group (7 people). There's a lot for 2 people or even up to 6, but 7 is a little awkward. I'll check out the other websites you mentioned. It's really hard to choose because even on tripadvisor there are so many mixed reviews. A lot of it depends on the owner of the actual condo unit you end up with.
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 02:59 PM

antlori,

I just checked my usual sites for availability at the Alii over the holidays, and they're all booked. Too bad.

Good luck. Wherever you stay, you'll have a great time. Maui is certainly a special place. I recently took my parents on a trip to Switzerland, and it was very special indeed to all of us to spend such quality time with them. And they're still talking about it.

If you parents are like mine, they'll enjoy just being with you, no matter where you stay!

Aloha!
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Yes, Kopp, that's what they said. So maybe I'll just stick with the Ocean View 2-bedroom. I called the Kaanapali Shores and they have a 5th night free deal which brings the cost down a little.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 09:06 AM

You might try VRBO.com for Kaanapali Shores. I booked at 1 bedroom ocean view for 200.00 per night (tax included) for last week of March 2006. I have stayed at the Whaler and Alii and they will be over 400.00 per night for basic 1 bedroom. 500.00 to 600.00 for basic 2 bedroom. More for ocean front. I booked studio at Whaler thru VRBO.com for 185.00 in 2003 and 2004 it was a Garden View. Partial Ocean at the Alii cost 450.00 two bedroom in 2000. Hope this helps.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, riggsie, but I already checked vrbo and there isn't much available for my dates. We'll be there the first week of January and most of the larger, cheaper places are already booked.
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 06:44 AM

Antlori - Well good luck and let us know what you decide. I would say the Whaler or Alii would be great if you want to be right in the middle of the action on Kaanapali Beach. You will pay more there. We are staying 5 nights at the Shores and 3 nights at the Westin to finish of the vacation with a awesome pool for our boys...12 and 14. Good luck.
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 07:19 AM

Is the Ka'anapali Shores walking distanced to the Whaler Shops?
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 11:55 AM

No - it is about a 5-10 minute drive - park in the Whaler Village area and take parking ticket into any restaurant/shop and when you purchase dinner or items, they will stamp it - I think good for 3 hours. Just got back and stayed at Embassy Suites next door to Kaanapali Shores - you might want to ck there - we paid $165 a night from an owner on www.vacationtimesharerentals.com. Even though the owner's show a specific date - they can call and sometimes rearrange the date if available...
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 11:57 AM

Just as an FYI - also booked our car rental on priceline.com - we got a full size car for $20 a day - when we were matched - it was with Alamo. Ck latest bids on biddingfortravel.com
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

I was able to book a 2-bedroom unit at the Kaanapali Shores for $315/night with the Entertainment Book. This is for the first week of January which is high season. If I were to book now it would only be $228. I decided not to upgrade to the Aloha Suite as this would be $270 more for a total of $585/night.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 03:54 PM

i work at this property ...both are great room but i am not sure if you want or need to spend the extra $$$. most of the suites are ocean front...literally....
k shores is a great property...as is the kaanapali alii but the alii has major renovations on the ocean front units and you can hear jackhammering all day...skip this for now...
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, divediva. We decided that the Aloha Suite was just too expensive. It looks great but we can put the extra money to good use doing other things. With 7 people, it's going to cost a lot just to feed us, not to mention the kids want to do the helicopter tour, horseback riding, whale watching, etc, etc. The K. Shores looks great. I'm really looking forward to the trip!
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 05:27 PM

was just at the shores wasoffered an upgrade upon arrival to alhoa suites looked at both NO decion what so every upgrade dining room huge living room and the balcong for your parents they might stay out on balcony all day its a great view the standard 2 bedroom ocen vie was to small for us 4 , restrauant is good any other questions i would be pleased to answer thanks rob forgot huge closet space and kitchen if you plan to eat in. washer and dryer too
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

rbrad3: Thanks for your current information. What did you have to pay for the upgrade? The Aloha Suite looked great on their website. I just booked the 2-bedroom oceanview but the reservation clerk said we could upgrade when we arrive if we change our minds. Not going until January so prices are higher.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 05:57 PM

We are going back to the Kaanapali Shores soon, our 5th trip. The restsaurant on the premises is excellent - and very reasonable, and more important, very good. There is a market directly across the street, along with a pizza "parlor" which is also very good. We love it there. A trip to Whaler's Village is about a 7-10 minute drive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -