Where to stay in Maui

Old Jan 4th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where to stay in Maui

My new year's resolution - take my wife and kids (age 5 and 2) to our first trip to Hawaii this year! Trying to decide between staying at Kaanapali or Wailea for 1 week. Although would love to stay at a resort, my budget may preclude that. Budget is $200 a day. Priorities: nice calm beach, good pools, snorkelling (beginner), clean rooms and affordable food nearby. Morning breakfast included would be a big plus. Thanks in advance for your help !
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 11:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does your $200/day include hotel and food? It's doubtful you can do that in Kaanapali or Wailea. Check out condos in the Kihei area, not as nice as staying at a resort, but with 2 small kids, a condo is convenient and there is a huge choice of restaurants in Kihei.

Wailea beaches are a few minutes' drive from Kihei, Kaanapali is about 1/2 hour drive. The better condos tend to be at the south end near Wailea. The best beginner snorkelling is at Black Rock next to the Sheraton on Kaanapali Beach, lovely sand entry, great beach for the kids.

If you can go non-summer and get a package, Maui can be fairly economical.

The Kaanapali Beach Hotel currently shows a room/breakfast rate of $220, it's got a great location right on Kaa. beach.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks gigib. Forgot to mention that I am planning this for October 2007, and the $200 is just for hotel. If Black Rock and the kids beach is in Kaanapali, I should stay there, no?
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 11:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some of the best snorkeling on Maui is in the south-Kihei/Wailea. Ulua, Wailea is exceptional. Mornings normally are best-calmest. In Kihei for condos, I suggest you inquire about Surfside, next door to a great swim/snorkel beach, Keawakapu, or those along the 3 Kams.

You might look at condos off the water in Wailea also, such as Grand Champions or Palms. We prefer condos and houses for space, laundry facilities (which allow us to pack less), kitchens.

Have a great trip.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it possible to stay in a condo, but visit some nice resorts during the day? Do any resorts allow this? Even though I want to spend most of the time at the beaches, a day or two at a reosrt with nice pools and slides would be great. Thanks again for the responses...
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 01:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree, for families on a budget, the Kihei area toward Wailea is excellent. The condos across from the Kamaole beach parks have one or two pools each, plus tennis, nice grounds, barbecue grills, etc. (two of these are Kamaole SAnds and Hale kamaole; both are often available, 2bd/2bt, for ~$150; use VRBO to compare and contrast, and go to Safeway; you dont' want to pay a hotel $5 for a bowl of cereal that doesn't even get finished!). The big resorts don't let non-guests use their beach chairs, let alone the pools! Kids that age will have plenty of fun in a smaller (quieter, safer?) pool anyway, right? When you go to Ulua, go early in the day for good parking and gentle water.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Ag3046

The Grand Wailea, which has the best pools system on Maui does not allow non-guests to use the facilities. I don't believe the Hyatt does either. If I was paying big bucks to stay in one of those places, I wouldn't be very happy to have non-guests using the facilities.

Old Jan 4th, 2007, 03:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have stayed twice at this condo twice and it great!
Here are a bunch of websites that should be helpful.
Wizard Publications, Inc. / Believable Guides for Unbelievable Vacations This website will let you see aerial views of condos and hotels. If you email me at [email protected] I will give you the password. This is from the guidebook Maui Revealed.
Here is the link to the condo that we stayed at in Maui. Click here: Maui Condo . This condo is beautiful. It is a two bedroom(king-size, queen-size and loft with 2 twin beds). There are 2 full baths, kitchen, livingroom and lanai. Also, washer and dryer. 2 airconditioners...one in each bedroom. Very clean and had all the amenities that you will need. This is located in Kihei. the ocean is just across the street. The beaches are three of the best in Maui....KamI, KamII, and KamIII.
... VRBO® is Vacation Rentals by Owner ...
VRBO is the link for condos to rent from owners. This tends to be cheaper than going through a rental company or realtor.
Hawaii Vacation Travel Guide
Jon's Maui Web Page has just about everything that you would ever need for Maui.
Jon's Maui Info

Maui Accommodations Guide - Maui Hotels, Condominiums, and Vacation Homes

Hawaii State Vacation Planner - Best Places Hawaii

Aloha From Maui

Welcome To Virtually Hawaii!!

Here are some WEBCAMS that let you see live video.

Cheeseburger in Paradise, Lahaina, Live Camera

Maui Hawaii Webcams

http://www.islandvr.com/aroundmaui/index.html

Live Camera on Waikiki Beach, City and County of Honolulu

The tour company that we booked with was Activity World and the guy that we booked with was Dan Falardeau. He was really good. Some of the activities that we did were....Haleakala at sunrise and bike ride down the crater road w/Maui Mt.Cruisers, horseback riding at Mendes Ranch, parasailing w/ West Maui Parasail, Manutea sunset cocktail cruise w/Pacific Whale Foundation, ATV ride w/Haleakala ATV Tours, helicopter ride w/Alex Air, Luau at Royal Lahaina Resort and trip to the Big Island w/Polynesian Adventure Tours to see Volcano National Park. Hawaiian Activities and Hawaii Tour Packages from Hawaii Activity World.

If these links don't work..email me and I will send to your email.

Aloha,
Nancy
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 04:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having just returned from staying at both areas, I'll put in my 2 cents. Ka'anpali has a few nice condo places right on the water next to the fancy resorts. We had a friend staying at the Whaler, which was great, and roomy. The snorkeling and swimming at Black Rock was fantastic, and fine for beginners. Its a busy area, but we loved it. Since you mentioned a budget, Whalers Village has a food court with a few options. We stayed at the Westin, which was nice and has nice pools. Although I don't think you can use the facilities without staying there, you can certainly eat at the restaurants and walk around the grounds at all the resorts.

My big suggestion to you if you can possibly swing it, is this; spring for one night at the Grand Wailea and check in early and leave the next day very late. That way, you get 2 full pool days. You can check out, but still use the pools that day. I mention the Grand Wailea because there is simply no pool complex anywhere I've ever been that compares. Many, many features, a water elevator, rapids, tarzan swing, lazy river, 2 big water slides, hot tubs, etc, etc. Amazing, you're kids will be in heaven. Plus, the beach there is lovely. You can also do this at the Westin, which will probably be cheaper, but also has a very nice pool complex.

Be prepared though, prices are very high in Hawaii, resorts charge a mandatory "resort fee" per day of about 20 bucks. An extra rollaway in the room is around 35 a night, heck, a cup of coffee is 4 bucks!
But I don't think you'd ever regret taking your family to Hawaii, it is Paradise. I also think the areas you've chosen are perfect for a first visit. Hope you can book something great.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow....the quality of info you all have given is amazing. I will check out the links tomorrow at work
Also, staying at the Grand Wailea or the Westin for a day or 2 sounds tempting...will check out the prices. Snorkellin will be at Black Rock. Thanks all for the tips.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 07:08 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We are visitng hawaii for the first time in May '07. After much research, we decied on the Noelani Condominium Resort in Kahana (west side of island, norht of Lahaina),resonably priced (kitchen so you can cook some of your meals and save $$). It is right on the water, although no sandy beach right there. beach is close by (so that might not be appealing with kids). But for the amenities and location I was unable to find anythign comparable. I could not find any negative reviews on any travel websites. Floorplans/rates available on thier website (jusy do a google search and you can easily find it). We booked in 2006 and got last years rates, and are paying under $120 night for studio condo. Good Luck!!
Linda
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 08:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would stay in Ka'anapali with kids. Great beach and snorkeling at Black Rock. Whaler's Village has MacDonalds for cheap bfasts and the General Store to stock up on sodas, water, etc. You can get the Hyatt with stay certificates for $249 which includes the 11.42% tax so it puts you at just over $200/night. The Sheraton also has great rates. You can book and then wait as you get closer to the Fall, they often run lots of specials as October is a quiet time of year. Condo in Kihei is just not my idea of a Hawaiian vacation and Wailea is very crowded.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 01:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We just returned from Maui on the 1st. We stayed at Luana Kai condos in Kihei for $239/night for a 2 bdrm, 2 bath, oceanfront view condo. The complex is very well maintained. There's nothing special about Kihei, but, there are plenty of stores and relatively inexpensive restaurants to choose from. And, Kihei is centrally-located for the entire island.

Wailea is very upscale, very pristeen, has many great resorts, and has several great beaches. The beaches there were only 10-15 minutes away from where we were stayed. Ulua Beach had the best snorkeling, easiest access of those we hit. And, yes, morning is best...earlier the better. If you're renting your equipment, Maui Dive Shop is a good source of information and advice.

The best snorkeling on Maui is at Molokini crater. We took a morning trip on Four Winds and loved it...ran about $70/each, including food and beverages.

I concur with using www.vrbo.com. That's where we found our condo. And, if you choose to stay in a condo, there's a Costco right by the airport to stock up on groceries and supplies.

For thorough, unbiased, great advice about Maui, pick up a copy of Maui Revealed at a local bookstore....it's worth every penny.

Hope you love Maui as much as we did! Enjoy!
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 01:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wailea, with low rise hotels and condos, is certainly less crowded than Ka`anapali, which is dominated by high rise hotels. Black Rock could not be more crowded if they had a free seafood buffet on the beach. And, four people, no matter how they get along, is cramped in a standard room.

Kihei and Wailea have very nice mid-ranged condos and some very high priced houses on the beach. Just my opinion, but I believe the southern part of the island has better swimming/snorkeling beaches and it certainly has drier weather.
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
turtlegirl, what is "Hyatt with stay certificate" rate? At $250 a night including taxes, I could do that. But how do I get that rate? Does Hyatt have good pools / slides for kids?

I do hear the others when they recommend Condos...certainly more practical with 2 kids and an extended stay. But I dont want to give up the resort feel...hmmmm...
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 08:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Side note to LindaSus, Noelani is great value, have stayed there twice, but the "beach" next door isn't worthy of the name IMHO. Your nearest good one will be Kahekili Beach Park about two miles south or maybe in front of the Embassy a little to the north.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 06:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Maui Eldorado is on a golf course in North Kaanapali but has a wonderful beach center right on the beach. It's even walkable from the condos. Go to vrbo and check them out and you'll see many decent rentals for $200 and under. Remember several add on the 11% plus Hawaii tax.

I have also stayed at Kaanapali Shores condos which is a mile or two north of the above, and although the resort was very nice, the beach wasn't. But it's a consideration - just remember how hard it is to park in Kaanapali Beach if you want to drive there.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 06:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, I'll admit it, I was one of those non-guests using the pool at the Grand Wailea. I just stayed away from the area where the staff/lifeguards were sitting, so I wouldn't have to explain why I wasn't wearing one of those bracelets.

"Author: Ag3046
Date: 01/04/2007, 05:23 pm
The Grand Wailea, which has the best pools system on Maui does not allow non-guests to use the facilities. I don't believe the Hyatt does either. If I was paying big bucks to stay in one of those places, I wouldn't be very happy to have non-guests using the facilities. "