Where to stay in Hawaii?

Search

Where to stay in Hawaii?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in Hawaii?

Hi, folks. I am new to this forum. In December, I will be graduating from nursing school. I am planning on taking my 3-yr old daughter to Hawaii.

I was in Hawaii as a small child (years ago!) and stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki and the Hilton Hawaiian Village. I was back in Honolulu 10 years ago and was discouraged to see how commercialized it had become since my childhood years. Does anyone have an opinion on a relatively low-cost (just graduated, remember) hotel on a beach on any of the islands? We plan on staying at least two weeks. Thanks much....
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 04:29 PM

The first two hotels that popped into my brain when I read your post were the Kaanapali Beach Hotel and Maui Prince both on Maui. These are more moderate in price than most beachfront hotels on Maui.

There are lots of condo options on all the islands as well. I've stayed at these three and liked them all. T

Kiahuna on Kauai (rent through vrbo for best deals).

Mana Kai Maui in Kihei in Maui.

The Kahana Reef north of Kaanapali on Maui.

Old Aug 11th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help. I realize my request was somewhat open-ended, but I really didn't know where to begin.

I read the reviews on some hotels in Hawaii - actually have on a couple you have mentioned - and one will say Great! another Awful! and you just don't know what to do.

I've been to Lahaina once - on a cruise stop. I'd prefer not to rent a car but do things via public transportation or walking - can you tell me is that possible? Thanks again. I suppose an increase in hotel rate would offset the rental/parking fees anyways.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 05:25 PM

It would be highly impractical to be on Maui with a 3 year-old without having a rental car. Two weeks is also a very long time to be without a rental car.

You need to give us your accomodation budget. "Low-cost" is not as helpful as a dollar amount.

On a beach means $250 a night and up, depending on the time of year.
For two weeks, you will spend an enormous amount for food in a hotel. You are probably better off with a condo.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 05:31 PM

I'm not sure what your budget is, but we loved the Hapuna Beach Prince on Hawaii; we got a discount by using our Entertainment card.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 05:40 PM

My daughter and her fiance rented a 2 BR house in Hanalei, Kauai last year. It was a block or two from the beach and I remember the website was cushnie cottages, but it was listed on vrbo as something else. Whatever - they loved it.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

I had hoped to spend around $200 a night. That might not be possible. I am not very familiar with Maui, and didn't know if a rental car would be optional or not. I know that food is expensive; I had heard a gallon of milk was about $9.00; don't know if it's true.

Thanks for the helpful responses. I am getting a better picture of what is possible what needs to be altered.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

And by the way, although I mentioned graduating in December, I realize the holiday would be very expensive and would wait till January - but that might not be that much less expensive. Possibly I should just stick with overcrowded Oahu and the Ala Moana which I stayed at years ago. What I am trying to do (hotel on beach, reasonable rate, no car) may not be possible at this venue.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 06:28 PM

January is high season. Oahu is not likely to be an less expensive in January, but if you are unable to rent a car for 2 weeks, that is one of the few options available to you.

And a $200 hotel room in Oahu in January will not be on the beach. Remember, there is a substantial tax on hotel room accomodations, 11.14%.

Once again, you would be better off in a condo than in a hotel.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 06:36 PM

You should also check for packages:

Pleasant Hawaiian Holidays
Expedia.com
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I'll look for condos and the Pleasant Hawaiian Holidays site.

I believe Expedia (have never used them) has Ala Moana Hotel at $147 a night in January. I don't know if these kinds of sites include taxes or not. I also stayed there as a teen but if I recall correctly, you need to take the bus to the beach.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 07:20 PM

If you are going for two weeks, it's really worth it to go to another island. You could take the Superferry to Maui. There is a bus, of sorts that runs to Lahaina from Kahului, where the airport and the harbor are: http://www.co.maui.hi.us/bus/

There is a grocery store at one end of Lahaina, and you could spend some time at the beaches there, or take the bus to Ka'napali which isn't that far.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 07:25 PM

I think the only place you can avoid having a rental car is O`ahu--Honolulu specifically. Are you open to staying in Waikiki? You can get around Waikiki very easily on foot. Your daughter would probably enjoy the aquarium and zoo, as well as the beach of course. It is not hard to get around Honolulu by bus. You could rent a car for days you want to get out and see the rest of the island. It is also possible to get all around the island by bus, but that would be very time-consuming.

It is possible to find a room in Waikiki at that time for $200. Last summer we stayed at the Resortquest Waikiki Circle and loved it. I just checked the web site and they oceanview rooms for 160 and oceanfront for 180 in Jan. I used dates of 1-17 to 2-3. the hotel is across the street from the beach and you have unobstructed views of the beach. (I can post a link to my photos if you want to see them.) You'd have a small refrigerator but no microwave.

You might want to check VRBO for one-bedroom or studio apartments in Waikiki, in order to have a kitchen.

Old Aug 11th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

This is all really good info, thanks. I did not know there was 'boat' service like this between the islands. I've not heard of vrbo before, will check that out. Would certainly like to see the photos.

My first trip to Hawaii was in 1971!!! I was 10! Then in 72, 73, and lastly 98. Honolulu had become this massive concrete jungle by '98 when I stopped there on a cruise; it was so sad. But Maui and the Big Island still retained their charm. I'm amazed at the Maui room rates and how anyone can afford it. Thanks again for all the very helpful information.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 07:58 PM

Lots of info including sites with free brochures for all islands:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34812564
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 10:32 PM

Here is my trip report, describing the hotel http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35068222

Here are the photos http://worldisround.com/articles/334335/index.html

I think the water will be quite calm in Waikiki in January, but you might like to know that there is a walled area in the water right near the hotel, so it is always calm to swim there and for little ones to play in the ocean.
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 04:19 PM

The Ocean Resort Hotel is a couple of blocks off the beach at Waikiki. You can get ocean view by booking a room on a higher floor; I believe they said above the 12th, but you could ask. Their rates are less than many other hotels, they are close to the walled area of the ocean, and they have rooms with a small kitchenette--a real plus for having breakfast in with a little one.
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 04:41 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Don't be scared off by people exaggerating about groceries in Hawaii. Yes some things are more expensive, and dairy is one of them. But plenty of things are reasonably priced. I spend less in Waikiki on food than I do when I vacation in Mexico!

I think you should try to get a place with a kitchen. I also think Honolulu/Waikiki on Oahu is the only island that can be easily done without a rental car. Too bad how you feel about it (I love it there).