Maui, Hawaii condos

Old May 22nd, 2006, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Maui, Hawaii condos

Looking for information regarding The Mahana condo or Maui Kai condo or any other condo in Maui. Also interested in recommended hotels. Don't know whether to go hotel or condo route for 7 day visit. All info for lodging, eating, recreation, etc. would be appreciated.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 05:37 PM

Check www.vrbo.com for condos. Check www.biddingfortravel.com to see what folks have been paying for hotels on Priceline. Check www.costco.com if you are a costco member.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 08:15 PM

What size condo are you needing ? Studio, 1/1 or ?

Mahana was fine tho' we found it a bit "remote" in terms of seeing other guests etc. Maybe it was just a bit empty that week.

Its neighbor, Maui Kai, is much smaller and we found it very pleasant and have stayed there twice. Most of the people we met were long time returnees or owners, however I believe a 1/1 is the largest they have to offer whereas the Maha has 2/2s.
You might go to www.gohawaii.com and order the free Maui planner, also see www.mauihawaii.org

In general we like condos, they tend to be cheaper than hotels and you can save a bundle on food by doing a few meals yourself "at home".
Old May 22nd, 2006, 08:22 PM
bonniebroad

My sister has stayed for a couple of months at a time at units at the Maui Sunset in Kihei, and really liked it a lot. The beach nearby is not a good swimming beach, but other than that, she really liked the area and her condos. They're all individually owned, so probably vary considerably in decor and upkeep.

When I'm in Hawaii, I enjoy the resort hotel experience, but other people much prefer the condo route ... I tend to pamper myself there more than any other destination. Just comes down to what you really want ... Good luck with your planning!

Old May 22nd, 2006, 11:12 PM

Try Kihei or Wailea for a large array of condo choices. The beach near the Maui Surfside in Kihei, Keawakapu, the start of the famed Wailea strand, is a very good beach for swimming and snorkeling, and the [rocky] shoreline adjacent to the Surfside has top tier snorkeling. The Surfside is waterfront, and the units spacious. You might investigate the Palms, Ekahi, Eulua in Wailea.

I suggest you decide on the area in which you wish to stay before selecting accommodations.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:26 AM

We stayed at the Maui Kai this past Dec and liked it very much. All units are oceanfront with a nice-sized lanai.
The Maui Kai is in a great location, with many restaurants and beaches within a few minutes. It's not luxurious, but was very clean and nicely maintained. Also, the Maui Kai's units have A/C, which many of the smaller complexes do not. Our unit was fairly large, with a good-sized living room and dining area. There are a few 2 BDR units, but the majority are 1 BDR (with a sofa bed in the living room, or junior suites, with no separate bedroom. There is a nice pool and Jacuzzi and some picnic tables and a couple of grills in the pool area. There is also a computer with free internet access. Check out their website: www.mauikai.com
I prefer condos to hotels. I like being able to go into the living room to read or watch TV if my husband is still sleeping. I like having the option to eat in or keep the refrigerator stocked with sodas and picnic makings.