Where to stay in Grand Lake, Colorado?

Old May 9th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in Grand Lake, Colorado?

Thanks to all who helped with ideas on where to stay in Estes Park. We (2 adults, 2 children 3 and under) decided on a rustic cabin by the river. Now we are hoping to add 2-3 more days to our trip and stay on the other side of RMNP in Grand Lake. I visited the website for the Grand Lake Lodge, and it said that they were closed for rennovations. Now I'm hoping to find a condo with a view, but I'm open to any lodging suggestions.
Old May 13th, 2007, 10:13 AM
MaureenB

http://www.rapidslodge.com/
http://www.lemmonlodge.com

These are two of the classic places to stay right in Grand Lake. We love Grand Lake Lodge, especially. They have a spectacular front porch with a full view of Grand Lake, and a good menu. Also a big round fireplace in the front area, and nice gift shop, too. Rec room for the kids downstairs. They usually close for the winter. Are you sure they aren't opening this spring?

Have fun. Grand Lake is beautiful. It's a blast to rent motorboats at Lake Granby and tool around on both lakes for a half day or so. (Just watch for afternoon thunderstorms.)
>-

Old May 13th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful response. I think that I'll call Grand Lake Lodge to be certain of their closure, but the website said no reservations for 2007.
Old May 13th, 2007, 04:18 PM

Hello Marthamom,

Can't help on Grand Lake itself, BUT---I stayed last year at a spot near Granby off Hiway 40 called Silver Creek, with motel-type rooms and condos. At least that is the name I remember--it could be a bit different. It is just outside Granby and on the way to Berthoud Pass.

Has two large hot tubs, a large pool and a decent restaurant. Had a patio/balcony off each room. We really liked it--low-key, but plenty close enough to visit Grand Lake. The nearby creek and pond bring in quite a few water fowl and birds. Fun for the kiddos.

Linda
Old May 13th, 2007, 06:16 PM
MaureenB

Silver Creek is now called Sol Vista. It's a little ski area/condo complex that was built in a rather awkward place and never really took off. I think you'd be better off staying in Grand Lake. Sol Vista is between places, really not much there, especially without ski season. The condos are probably pretty cheap there during the off-season, though. It's a bit on the tacky side, I'm thinking, though.
>-

Old May 14th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

I learned to ski at "Silver Creek" in 1987 or so - Thanks for the fun reminder! However, we do want to stay as close to RMNP as possible this time. I'm still thinking that Grand Lake is best. I called Grand Lake Lodge and their message confirmed that they are closed all summer. It also mentioned that they aren't taking future reservations due to the pending sale of the property.
Old May 14th, 2007, 03:53 PM
MaureenB

Martha, I think you're right about Grand Lake. We've had a place for many years in Winter Park, and we love to go to Grand Lake in summer and winter. It's an incredibly beautiful lake. Largest natural mountain lake in the country, I think.

I suppose you're driving over Trail Ridge Road from Estes to Grand Lake. You know it's under construction this summer, so you might not want to drive back over it when you're ready to head home. (Assuming you're flying out of Denver.)

From Grand Lake, you can drive to Granby, past Sol Vista, to Winter Park and then over Berthoud Pass to I-70 and down to Denver. Berthoud is a pretty pass, too.

So, you could stay in the Winter Park area if you want. Many more condos to choose from, maybe less expensive, but no beautiful mountain lake.

You can try Destinations West for a good higher-end condo/home rental company. They handled our place as a rental for many years, and I can vouch for their integrity. Especially if Diane still owns the company. They may have some properties in Grand Lake, but I'm not sure. They cover Winter Park mostly.

You will love Grand Lake! Have Mexican food at Pancho and Lefty's in town. If Grand Lake Lodge is open for dinner, be sure to go there for a meal. Or at least visit and sit on their front porch with a cold drink. There's a nice art glass, curio type shop in Grand Lake, on the main drag, sort of catacorner across Pancho and Lefty's. Good prices for Colorado artsy items. The golf course there is nice, too. And there are free tennis courts just up the road from the golf course.

If you drive through Winter Park, the best pizza in Colorado is at Hernando's, on the left as you begin to enter Winter Park. Decent pasta, too. Very good prices.
>-

Old May 14th, 2007, 08:06 PM
TheWeasel

The Rapids Lodge really doesn't have a view (except of the river). If you decide to stay there, take a look at the property map and make sure you're getting something on the river. The cabins and suites are right on the parking lot and have buildings between them and the river. I believe some of the condos also don't face the river. It really is nice to open the window and have the sound of the rapids at night.

Old May 15th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Great advice - Thanks! We decided to book a river view condo at the Rapids in Grand Lake. Also, someone mentioned driving back to Denver on "route 40." I haven't looked it up on the map yet. Is this where you were suggesting, Maureen? Thanks especially for the restaurant tips.
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:11 PM
MaureenB

I'm sorry I don't know what route 40 is, unless it's the back way from Granby to Hot Sulphur Springs along the Blue River to Silverthorne, and catching interstate 70 there. Not sure I'd recommend that, though, because it takes you out of your way and Berthoud Pass is prettier, unless you need to go to Summit County. I might be totally wrong about route 40, though.
>-

Old May 25th, 2007, 02:25 PM

Maureen, We are trying to decide where to stay in Colorado this summer. We will probably spend a few days in Breckenridge, then we are trying to decide another location. Winter Park is an option. What is there to do there? Is it pretty? Fun? Or do you recommend staying at Grand Lake. We do want to be in the vacinity of RMNP, but would like something quieter than Estes Park. My friend says it is a zoo there in the summer. Is it worth a try for a couple of days? Thanks.
Old May 25th, 2007, 08:28 PM
MaureenB

Winter Park is beautiful country, more 'authentic' Colorado, and less developed than some places. Although it's growing a lot now. If you like outdoor activities, Winter Park and Grand Lake have it all. Not so much shopping and nightlife, though. It depends on what you like. We've had a place in Winter Park for many years, and really love it there because we like to get away from the crowds. For that reason, I agree with your friend about Estes being too touristy and busy.

But, for a Colorado vacation, I always recommend Aspen. In fact, I'd skip Breckenridge and go to Aspen for the entire time. It's got all the outdoor beauty, plus all the nightlife and shopping you'd want. Also great music concerts all summer. We like to stay in Aspen proper, so we can walk all over town in mornings and nights. I could recommend a couple of places to stay if you're interested. Aspen is amazing.
>-

Old May 25th, 2007, 08:56 PM

Having stayed in Grand Lake many, many times over the past 12 years, there are several nice places to stay. One is The Rapids lodge and condominiums. The riverside condos have a nice view of a rocky stream. The Lemmon Lodge is close to the lake and marina as well. Wildwood Cabins (office is at Daven Haven lodge) doesn't have much for a view, but is extremely convenient to town, as it is located at the end of the main street. Columbine Cabins is a nice little cabin lodge with a hot tub. It's a little bit of a walk to town, but a nice little area. There is an indoor pool across the street at the Sunrise Motel as well. The Grand Lake Chamber of Commmerce website has a listing of other accommodations.