Where to Stay in Carmel/Monterey area

Jan 18th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Cheryl

Where to Stay in Carmel/Monterey area

We will be going to San Francisco in April and we are wanting to drive down to Carmel and Monterey for 3 days. Any suggestions on where to stay and/or eat??? Probably not looking for bed and breakfasts. Thanks!!!

Jan 18th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Ted

Great hotel in Carmel called Los Lobos. Convenient to everything and nice apartment-like rooms. Nice restaurant just up the main drag called Merlot. Enjoy Carmel!

Jan 18th, 2002, 09:50 AM
Ted

Actually, it's called the Lobos Lodge Hotel.
Monte Verde St. And Ocean Ave.,
Box L – 1
Carmel, California 93921
United States

Tel: 831-624-3874
Fax: 831-624-0135

Jan 18th, 2002, 10:32 AM
xxx

if you want quiet & mellow stay in carmel. i prefer montery cause there was more choices of what to do at night. sorry, can't remember the name of the hotel. plus i think it is a little less expensive.

Jan 18th, 2002, 10:37 AM
kam

So many choices in Carmel. Know that most will want a 2 day minimum reservations. Pine Inn on Ocean is historic, La Playa is very nice, Tickle Pink is romantic,Mission Ranch is secluded and very comfortable, Normandy Inn in in the middle of the village with feather beds and fireplaces. It's hard to go wrong in Carmel. Expect high prices and lovely accomodations. You could also look at Pacific Grove for places to stay. Our favorite restaurants in Carmel are Grasings, Portabella, and Cassanova. Make dinner reservations ahead for weekends. Good Italian lunches at Il Fornaio in the Pine Inn. Enjoy.

Jan 18th, 2002, 11:05 AM
Bob

The Hotel Pacific in Monterey is excellent. They have a website.

Jan 18th, 2002, 06:19 PM
gay

We love Highlands Inn ( a Park Hyatt hotel) high upon a hill in Highway 1 in Carmel Highlands...all rooms are suites I think...small kitchen, living area w/pinon-wood burning fireplace, outdoor balcony, king beds, cd players, huge jacuzzi tub..we stay there every time...there's a pool, workout room, 2 restaurants, one with outdoor dining for casual..the elegant Pacific's Edge has 5 star menu/wine list and the most beautiful view in the tree tops of the Big Sur coastline and sunset...we cant wait to do this evening each time...have cocktails in their large bar w/live pianist...just incredible.

Jan 18th, 2002, 06:43 PM
yeh???

But how much a night for all this beauty?

Jan 18th, 2002, 06:45 PM
kat

We stayed in the Carmel Valley Ranch in Carmel during July and absolutely loved it. Our room had a fireplace, small kitchen, jacuzzi, etc. Beautiful grounds....golfing, tennis, swimming. They offer full spa services (massages, facials, etc) Rate was $129 per night reserved through the website. www.wyndham.com

Jan 21st, 2002, 11:53 AM
Duke

Cheryl: You need to give these posters some idea of price as you can run the gamut on the Monterey Peninsula.

I enjoy Pacific Grove as a place to stay. This town has more beach than Carmel and Montery combined. You did not want a B and B but two good ones are overlooking the Bay in PG: Seven Gables Inn (featured in AmExpress TV ad) and Green Gables. Both have great locations. The Inn at 17 mile is also nice. Look on the PG website at PacificGrove.org for more ideas.

Clint Eastwood owns Mission Ranch in Carmel. It is very scenic and also a nice place for dinner

Great restaurants are all over: Fandango's in Pacific Grove is excellent. Roy's at Spanish Bay resort is very popular also as is The Forge in Carmel. The Pine Inn on Ocean in Carmel also hosts the Il Fornaio restaurant that we enjoy.

Jan 21st, 2002, 05:13 PM
gay

regarding Highlands Inn that I was describing above...I think rates are $400-$650 per nite. Expensive, but for a special experience, it's really different. They are remodeling the rooms too....rate vary depending on time of week, time of year, etc.

Jan 21st, 2002, 06:00 PM
Ted

If I recall correctly, Lobos Lodge was very reasonably priced, less than $150.

Jan 23rd, 2002, 01:50 PM
Nikki

Cheryl,

I second Ted's suggestion of the Lobos Lodge. Was there in Sept. and it was great, big room, clean and right on Ocean Ave. They also provided a breakfast served in your room each morning (actually its just muffins and coffee). But the best part is our room was only $135 and I think the most expensive rooms are $150. Check out their website (search on google Lobos Lodge Carmel).

Mar 8th, 2007, 06:16 PM

DO NOT stay at the Motne Verde Inn or Casa de Carmel. I was part of a wedding party that booked the hotel, until the owner cavalierly decided he didn't want a wedding party (for whatever reason. Thought we'd be noisy, even though most of us are over 50? Wanted a better room rate than what his manager (now fired) booked for us in high season? The point is that a reservation, including a billed one-night deposit, means nothing to this owner. He also owns the Casa de Carmel.
Mar 8th, 2007, 07:47 PM

OK - Madame X - you have dredged up two really, REALLY old moldy threads to post your gripe. We understand already.
Mar 9th, 2007, 09:54 PM

Pacific Grove:
www.martineinn.com (get a rom in carriage house in back, more private)
www.rosedaleinn.com
www.visitasilomar.com

Monterey
Hotel Pacific

Big Sur
Julia Pfieffer State Park - cottages