Advice for a tour of Arizona in May?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to do a 8- or 9-day driving tour of Arizona in mid-May, startig and ending at PHX. Tucson and Grand Canyon are musts, and we'd like go to the northeastern corner too. I though of heading south upon arrival for 2 nights in Tuscon, then meandering up to Canyon de Chelly area, 2 or 3 nights in a GCNP hotel, with our final night an hour or so north of PHX.

Can some of you Arizona experts help me refine this plan? Or suggest alternatives if you see pitfalls?

thanks
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 01:11 PM

I am only counting 4-5 nights so far. I don't know much about Tucson. Is there something special you are heading to Tuscon for? Why not fly into Tuscon and then out of Phoenix? I am very familiar with the East and Northeast section. After your two nights in Tucson do you want to drive straight to CdC? Figure about 7 hours with out many stops. The most direct and unbelievably scenic way is up through Globe and along the Salt River Canyon (spectacular but can definitely be unnerving). You could stop half way in Greer, a very small mountain community that is sometimes referred to as the Switrzerland of Arizona, where the Little Colorado River runs right through the village. It's absolutely breathtaking. From there continue on through Eager and St John's on to CdC. If you leave early enough in the AM you should be able to do a lot of the scenic drive along the rim. Schedule a tour in the bottom of the Canyon for the morning, we did one in our own car and it was a blast, we even got stuck in the sand. Leave from there and head to GCNP. That will be a long drive as the road will be slow going and most of it is through the reservation (no speeding!)
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Odie1: Thanks for the info about the Salt River Canyon drive -- exactly the great detail I was hoping for.
We will see friends in Tucson, and the drive from PHX is easy so I was figuring we'd fly in and out of PHX for nonstop air travel and to avoid a drop-off charge for the rental car. However, I should also look at flying into Tucson and out of Flagstaff.

So 2 nights Tucson, one night on the way to CdC, 2 at CdC, 3 at GC. We might also like to stay one night at the Posada in Winslow -- could we reasonably fit that in?
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 02:32 PM

You could route yourself through Winslow on the way to Grand Canyon, unless you want to go to Monument Valley and Navajo National Monument, from CDC instead (which would be my choice). Terrific lodge at Monument Valley overlooking the wonderful scenery. Final night an hour or so north of Phoenix does not make sense. If you have an early flight, stay at an airport hotel. If late in the day, stay in Flagstaff, a town with a lot of charm in itself.
Plenty to do in Tucson--but if you have friends there, they'll probably take care of that.
Note: if you want to go into the canyon in your own car, it needs to be a four-wheel drive and you need to hire a Navajo driver at the Park HQ.
Vera
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 06:53 PM

kayd-I am not sure how you can fit in the the Winslow night. There really isn't a whole lot to see in Winslow unless you are a Route 66 buff. La Posada is supposed to be beautiful but I don;t think I would make the huge diversion to get to it. You are better off staying at the El Tovar at the Canyon.

Vera- <<You could route yourself through Winslow on the way to the Grand Canyon>>

That is a loooong way out of the way. Yes the the roads through the reservations are not highways but the entire drive from CdC to the GC (hwy #s 191-264-160-89-64)is marked as a scenic drive, Interstate 40 is awful!

And what Vera pointed out regarding the car and driver in CdC is correct. I should have mentioned that.

If you plan on stying two nights at CdC then you could either drive straight through from Tucson and not stop getting in later in the evening and doing the bottom of the canyon in the AM and the South rim road in the PM spending the night and heading out in the AM, in which case I might be inclined to head up to Monument Valley, do the drive through it and then go over to GCNP. That would be a lot of time in the car but all that country is so scenic it's worth it.

I also should have mentioned that along the way from Tucson to CdC you also have the option of veering off the most direct route a bit and driving straight through the Petrified Forest and Painted Desert National Parks.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 06:21 AM

i would forget about flying into/out of Tucson. I don't think you will save much in time. Both are only a couple of freeway hours from the Phoenix airport and the fares from PHX are generally much better
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 12:14 PM

We just got back from an incredible week's stay in AZ. My daughter is in Tucson, so we started there, but then drove, as described earlier, through Globe, up the Apache Trail, through the Petrified Forest/Painted Desert (can't miss this!) straight to Canyon de Chelly, which was fantastic. Admittedly that was a long day, but breathtakingly beautiful. Next day we toured CdC, and then on to Monument Valley (wow!) and then to Grand Canyon/Sedona/Flagstaff. Wonderful trip.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. We've made our plans and extended the trip to 11 days and will follow Maria G's route almost exactly. The only diference is a night in Winslow between Tucson and Canyon de Chelly. That stop will take us only about 50 miles off the more direct route and we are excited to have scored a reservation at La Posada (as well as 2 nights at a lodge in GCNP. Really looking forward to those as we'll be in Hampton/BW quality for the rest of the trip.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 09:30 PM

Sounds like a great trip and the extra days will be well worth the views in the canyons and national parks! While the weather in Tucson now is wonderfully in the 70-80s, be prepared for much cooler temperatures at the Grand Canyon and Flagstaff since they are much higher. Have been at GC in early May when a snow storm made it impossible to see into the canyon and other times it could be in the 70s. Just be prepared so you can enjoy being outside regardless of the temperatures. With two nights at GC, you will surely get at least one day for great viewing---hopefully two if our weather continues as spring. Enjoy!