Carmel or Monterey Overnight

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will leave San Francisco at about 10:00 am to begin a drive down the coast and would like to ovenight in this area. Is Carmel or Monterey a better choice? Is it possible to have lunch in Monterey, see the aquarium and then overnight in Carmel, or is there so much to see in Monterey that it is worth an overnight stop? We will be coming from San Francisco so probably won't be interested in any shopping. We can only spend one night in this area. Also I have concluded the Post Ranch will not fit into the budget for an overnight and was wondering if the Tickle Pink Inn might give somewhat of the experience of staying overnight along this coast. I guess what I am trying to decide is whether to spend the overnight there or at the waterfront Intercontinental in Monterey Bay. Thanks for any information about these locations.
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 09:48 AM

Is it possible to have lunch in Monterey, see the aquarium and then overnight in Carmel, or is there so much to see in Monterey that it is worth an overnight stop?

Monterey and Carmel are about 5 miles from each other (although very different in ambiance), so you can easily stay in one and visit the other, too.
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 01:49 PM

Consider Pacific Grove as well - it is in between Monterey and Carmel - nice town right on the ocean, lots of great old houses and a nice main street.

Carmel is definitely upscale - type of place with nice restaurants, expensive shops, and art galeries. The beach there is very pretty.

Monterey is larger and more mixed - it is busier and has the range of lodging from upscale hotels to budget motels, touristy parts, historic parts, etc.

Where you stay is really a matter of choice. You can easily stay in one town and visit the others. Lots of people love Carmel, but it isn't my scene.
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 02:05 PM
JES

Carmel is much more quaint & charming. It's my choice without a doubt. Pacific Grove is a good suggestion. I stayed at a place called the Green Gables Inn which was a very nice Victorian B&B with a water view, not too expensive. www.greengablesinnpg.com
Still, Carmel is my choice hands down.
For a quieter, serene and and unbelievably beautiful experience, think about Big Sur. There are some less expensive options than Post Ranch - where you should at least visit for drinks at sunset.
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 05:31 PM

We did something similar on a recent trip to SF & stayed 1 night at the Tickle Pink Inn; we didn't make time to visit the acquarium - we were enjoying the views too much from our room! Also really like Pacific Grove - we'd love to stay at the Seven Gables Inn some time.
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 06:05 PM

You should try to get as early a start as possible. There's a lot to see on your way down the coast and there's a lot to see in Monterey and Carmel. One night is not really enough.

If you like the smaller inns and hotels, then Carmel or Pacific Grove is the place for you. If you prefer a bay front hotel with fantastic views and first class amenities, I would recommend the Monterey Plaza Hotel. I'm not familiar with the Clement because it's so new but I'm sure it's wonderful too.

However, what I like about the Monterey Plaza are the rooms that extend over the water. There is nothing else like it.
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 06:55 AM

Yes, stay at the Tickle Pink! We have enjoyed two very nice stays there. You could go next door to Pacific's Edge for dinner at the Highland's Inn. I would also not miss Citronelle at Carmel Valley Ranch for a fine dining meal, it is in Carmel Valley. ***kim***
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for this information. It sounds like a great area and I'm going to work on stretching out stay to 2 nights if possible.