Where to stay in Breckenridge, CO

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family of 6 adults is planning a vacation to Breckenridge next July. I have looked for lodging on VRBO.com but am not sure what is the desired area to stay in. Would appreciate any suggestions.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 07:01 PM

It is hard to say. Since sking access isn't important I don't think it would make a lot of difference. The town has an excellent bus system so you may want to stay near a bus route just for additional options. There is a golf course north of Breck with condos. If playing golf that might be handy.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 08:51 PM

For summer in Summit County, we usually stay in Dillon, overlooking the lake. It's about 15 minutes to Breckenridge by car. Less crowds but still close enough to buzz into Breck for dinner or some shopping. Frisco offers the same thing with a bigger downtown than Dillon and it's only 5-10 minutes from Breck.

Breckenridge is quite small, so it's not as if there are really neighborhoods or anything like that. Traffic through town will be very heavy 4th of July weekend in particular, so you'll want to walk across town as opposed to driving.

One thing to consider if you are going to be biking at all is the wonderful bike trail that goes north from Breckenridge all the way to Frisco and around the lake to Dillon. If you rented a house outside Breck on the north side this path would be very accessible, whereas south of town you'd have to ride on the highway into town.
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 07:54 AM

The bike path comes into town without being on the highway. The traffic pattern in Breck has been rearranged so that Main street is no longer the main traffic flow. The bike paths are extensive from Vail, pass Copper, through Frisco to Keystone and Breck. If staying outside of Breck I would recommend Frisco. It is the hub of the county bus system and more central to everything.
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 10:22 AM

We went to Breck last July (LOVED it) and stayed at the Ski & Racquet Club at the south end of town. We liked being closed enough to walk into town but didn't want to be right "down town". We also used our car and free shuttle to get around to some locations in town. This map might help:
http://www.vrbo.com/global/siteFrame...turnurl=/28785

Old Oct 25th, 2007, 02:02 PM

"The traffic pattern in Breck has been rearranged so that Main street is no longer the main traffic flow."

Theoretically that's what they've tried to do but Main Street is packed every single major weekend. We were there this past July 4 and it was bumper-to-bumper and it was nearly as bad on a trip in August. Their traffic engineering problems are severe because Main Street cannot be widened, yet is the direct continuation of Highway 9 which is the only route in or out of town.
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 02:26 PM

fmpden - are you familier with any of the condo complexes in Frisco? I was looking at staying there for a ski weekend as an alternative to Breck.
Thanks.
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 02:36 PM

Am to a degree. We have used a couple of VRBO half a mile south of main street. Don't really remember the name but maybe I can find somewhere. Contact me off lien.
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 02:51 PM

Betsy, try Americana Properties in Dillon. We've stayed twice in the same condo in Frisco using them. We learned of them through my brothers who've used them several times. They say the company doesn't handle as many places as they used to in Frisco. But it's still worth a try.