Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where to Stay at NJ, when Visiting NYC. Suggestions?

Sep 23rd, 2011, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Hi guys.
We want to visit NYC for 3 days, a family with 3 kids (the youngest is 4). Since hotels in NYC are not the ceapest option, we thougt of sleeping in a motel somewhere in NJ, and leaving our car their during the day, using the PATH or other methods of transportation. We are coming from MD.
Any suggestions as to where should we spend the nights?
Sep 23rd, 2011, 11:46 AM

www.eurocheapo.com/newyork/

Many of the listings in the above will surely be within your budget.
At least look othrough them before you consider NJ...
Sep 25th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the link. I have looked at the places on the list, but for a family of 5 (we'll be 4 for the first two nights, and 5 the last night), it comes up to be at least a 1000$ for three nights. that's a bit too much for us.. So I believe spending the night at NJ might come to be more resonable.
does anybody has suggestions?
Sep 25th, 2011, 12:00 PM

You all could ride the BOLT bus from Baltimore to NYC for less than $20 each. https://www.boltbus.com/wherewetravel.aspx
Maybe ride on Amtrak back to Newark each night for a hotel near the EWR airport. Taking your car may be more expensive.
Sep 25th, 2011, 12:04 PM

Whatever you do, don't stay in Newark - it's not a nice city, and if you don't have a car, you won't be able to eat if you stay near the airport.

I don't recommend staying in NJ, but if it's cheaper look at hotels (near the PATH) in Hoboken and Jersey City. Be sure to take into account the cost of daily transportation.
Sep 25th, 2011, 12:16 PM

Iris_H:

I know this is not what you requested but please come back and tell us your budget for your 3 night stay and when you plan to visit NYC as cost is according to time of year and we can come back and give you some options in NYC within your budget.

Getting one of the suite hotels where you could fix your own breakfast, keep snacks etc. is so helpful with children and keeps the expenses down. It is nice to be able to come back to your hotel for a rest during the day if needed.

The Eastgate Tower Hotel, 222 E. 39th Street is a good option. You can see reviews on http://www.tripadvisor.com

Check on http://www.travelzoo.com or http://www.quikbook.com

Good luck. I love NYC.

Sandy
Sep 25th, 2011, 12:26 PM

I think people are reluctant to answer your query because this question is asked frequently, the question-asker is told by locals that it is a bad idea, and then arguments begin. You can probably to a search here and find at least a dozen recent threads on the subject.

Many New Yorkers would claim it is a false economy to consider staying in New Jersey when visiting Manhattan just because the hotel rates are less expensive. Why? Because to move a family of your size from New Jersey to Manhattan and back again each day will cost money and precious vacation time. Most would say it is better to add that transportation money to your hotel budget and stay in Manhattan. You don't say when you plan to make this trip (hotel rates vary by season) or how much you can afford to pay, but we would love to advise you if we knew your specific needs.

Yes, one might book a hotel close to a PATH station in Jersey City, but the few hotels that are nearby enough to make this convenient feature rates close to those in Manhattan. You can google these easily and decide for yourself.

Those hotels (major chains) that offer less expensive options in New Jersey are close to bus and train routes, but bus and train tickets cost more than the PATH train, and buses are subject to the whims of traffic, especially since they travel some of the most congested roads in the area before merging into a tunnel to Manhattan.

For a group of adults, I can see that taking the bus might seem a reasonable option. For a family with three children, one 4 years of age, this might be an interminable trip at the beginning and end of each day. I suspect that with a 4-year-old it might be preferable to stay someplace that was more accessible, so that you could return to the hotel to drop packages, or relieve crankiness.

The NJ hotels accessible by bus are typically in Secaucus, without much entertainment nearby, and difficult enough to get to that you would not want to return to the hotel to relax or freshen up and then head back into Manhattan. On the other hand, after the family returns to Secaucus, you could take your own car and find dinner somewhere in New Jersey. It all depends on what you hope this trip will be.

One option you might consider is one of the new hotels in Long Island City. While less convenient for your drive from Maryland, a few of these hotels offer more reasonable prices than Manhattan and Jersey City and are located a short walk from a subway station, just a stop or two from Manhattan.
Sep 25th, 2011, 12:42 PM

Here is a good summary of hotels in New Jersey and transportation options:

http://www.broadwayfocus.com/nj_nyc/
Sep 27th, 2011, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all guys, you were very helpfull!
thank you Sandy. I tried the hotel you offered but it was fool on the days we are coming. Obviously an apartment would have been much nicer [I traveled this way in Croatia and Slovania. a great option for families!), but I looked up and all I could see was both expensive and booked already for our dates.
On the end we decided upon coming by bus, as offered by tomfuller, and we don't need parking. so I gambled my chances on pricline (name your price). it's complicated, since I can ask for a room and they only garanty room for 2, so we need at least two rooms is this way, but we did manage to get something relativly resonable.
Yet, I believe that next time (we are planning a second visit on the spring) we will use the NJ option.
Thank you ALL!!!
Sep 27th, 2011, 04:38 AM

Iris_H,

Glad you were able to find a solution that works for you. What hotel did you get?
Sep 27th, 2011, 04:43 AM

Congrats on securing rooms thru Priceline. I'm guessing you're staying in NYC? You will have a great time!

One piece of advice: You say you got 2 rooms, but keep in mind that Priceline doesn't guarantee they are adjoining, or even anywhere near each other. Since you have small children, I would contact the hotel immediately and request that you get connecting rooms if at all possible, followed by a second choice of adjoining rooms, followed by a third choice of at least on the same floor. Although most hotels won't make any guarantees, you have a better chance of having your request honored if you make it right away and follow up again prior to your arrival.
Sep 27th, 2011, 05:22 AM

For my money, the better option is to stay in Queens rather than NJ. Hotels near the PATH system in NJ are pretty expensive (not really that much cheaper than in Manhattan to be honest). And then you have to pay a transit fare for each individual round-trip every day (and that really adds up for a family that has to ride NJ Transit or a ferry instead of the PATH ... this can easily add an additional $40 per day to your costs). There are even a couple of hotels with a limited amount of free parking (unsecured out front, but free).

However, there are many hotels in Queens, many in Long Island City, which are both on the NYC subway system and only one or two subway stops from Manhattan. So no extra charges for transit as well as a convenient location.

My cousin and her daughter stayed at the Country Inn and Suites in Long Island City for $99 per night (about $115 with taxes) in May. In the high season, though, a rate of closer to $160 is not unusual as you approach Thanksgiving and Christmas). That particular hotel is about 3 minutes from the subway and one stop from Manhattan, making it for my money the best bargain in NYC. There are others as well that are almost as convenient.

Priceline can find some good prices for you, but if you use Hotwire, you can get a hotel-guarantee of a room with 2 beds, unlike with Priceline. But many hotel rooms in NYC don't have room for a rollaway or charge a ridiculous rate for one (like $30 per night).
Sep 27th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Ye, I phoned the hotel and asked for adjoining rooms.[I don't want my boy wandering around the hallway just 'cause he had a bad dream..]. We got the got the Affinia and they don't have conncecting door for standard rooms.
The long island solution sounds good! I'll keep it in mind for the spring
Sep 27th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

wow, I have just checked the long island country inn and suites and it's 200$ a night for a room of 4! at least for our dates, it's not that cheap. but good to know.
It seems that big burgains are hard to find. So I must say that for 5, were it's really difficult to get good places, they have a not much higher price, and a suit that seems really suitable.. next time, if we don't run our of money..
btw, what are the 2-3 must do things with kids?
Do you think a boat to the libarty statue is a must?
Sep 27th, 2011, 09:19 AM

Iris_H: Glad to hear you already contacted the hotel. Sounds like you're really on top of things! Which Affinia did you end up with? (there are several, I think)

One last suggestion on the adjoining rooms if you don't mind my nagging you on the subject. I'm not sure how having adjoining rooms prevents your son from wandering the hallway unless you have an adult in the room with him. Which may even be a requirement. Otherwise, despite the fact that the room is next door (which is certainly convenient for everyone) it's still a completely separate room and you can't get to your son without going out into the hallway and then into his room. Many parents will split up in those situations to avoid any potential problems.
Sep 27th, 2011, 09:30 AM

Well you can;t see the Statue of Liberty without going on a boat. but I suspect that the ferries there are fully booked since the Statue is closing end of October for renovations.

You can get a reasonably close view - and a fantastic view of the Manhattan skyline on the way back - by taking a trip on the free Staten Island ferry. The RT takes not much more than an hour - and all kids love it.
Sep 27th, 2011, 09:33 AM

For a really short trip like this, I do not think a trip to the Statue of Liberty is a must-do since it really takes a long time (almost a full day) and has to be arranged at least a month in advance to limit the amount of time you spend in lines. It will certainly detract from the other things you can see and do.

And if you are coming after October 28, it's not even possible to enter the statue itself, so that really detracts from the interest for me. Instead, I'd take a short harbor cruise or a trip on the Staten Island Ferry to get a sail-by view (the latter is free and takes about an hour from start to finish).
Sep 27th, 2011, 05:00 PM

Assuming you are talking about dates in the fall $200 is a bargain for a room for 4 people - nver mind 5 - even in LIC. You would never find that in Manhattan unless you go for a place you wouldn;t want to stay.
Sep 28th, 2011, 03:14 AM

Iris_H:

Well done on getting one of the Affinia hotels, please share which one. There are often specials so start your search early for your planned Spring visit. Book something that you can cancel and go from there.

Do start a new thread with any other questions you have regarding your upcoming visit which sounds like it is quite soon. You can get lots of help on this forum.

Best wishes.

Sandy
Sep 28th, 2011, 07:42 AM

I know you wrote, NEW JERSEY, but allow me to suggest the Holiday Inn on Route 303 in Orangeburg, (Rockland County)New York which is approximately 20 miles from New York City. It's about a 5 minute walk to get express bus service into the city. You can also walk to the American Dream Diner also on Route 303 and a couple of shopping centers with delis and a decent market that sells sandwiches, hot food, prepackaged fresh fruit for one, snack bars, beverages, etc. The same shopping center has a CVS and a Dunkin' Donuts. I don't think you will pay more than $500 for 3 nights. Check it out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO