Where to leave the car since we do not need it in NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2014, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be driving form Reston, VA to New York City. We do not need the car in the city. What is the best place to drive to get easy access to NYC. I understand the Newark airtrain will be shut down until the end of July. We are doing this at the end of June.

We know driving in and out of Manhattan on a summer week end can be a bear so we thought we would drive somewhere and leave the car. We were planning on EWR and training it in. Since the train is out of the question that cost benefit is now gone. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

teach905
Old Jun 4th, 2014, 08:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Metro Park, just off the Garden State Parkway. Under an hour by train to Penn Station, NY.

http://www.njtransit.com/rg/rg_servl...&selStation=83
Old Jun 4th, 2014, 08:07 AM

This is a topic that comes up alot (you may see it discussed in the travel section of the Washington Post). I think a lot of people leave their cars at MetroPark since there's a garage. I don't think EWR is your best choice anyway. Parking there is more expensive (as is the train). Hamilton would be the next best place, but it's farther (about an hour from the city as opposed to Metro Park, which is about 30 minutes).
Old Jun 4th, 2014, 08:24 AM

Agree on Metro Park. Most of the stations have smaller lots and for many you need to be a resident with a town sticker. Metro Park has a large facility and lots of trains to Penn Station (NYC - not Newark Penn Station).
Old Jun 4th, 2014, 10:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I assume you are driving and paying for gas, and bridge/Turnpike tolls, because it is significantly cheaper is that correct?
Old Jun 4th, 2014, 02:23 PM

You could park it free near my parents' house 10 min walk from LIRR station, 1/2 hour to city, very safe neighborhood.
Old Jun 4th, 2014, 02:52 PM

I would park the car at the Weehawken Ferry Terminal and take the ferry to Manhattan.
Old Jun 4th, 2014, 04:56 PM

Coming from VA doubt that they want to drive all the way through the city to Long Island - would add at least 1.5 hours to their trip.
Old Jun 4th, 2014, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

We are driving from VA on this leg. Our starting point is Atlanta. We will be visiting friends in Reston, VA and then on to NYC to visit family. We looked into the train from DC. It was going to be $350 for 2 people. We figured a 4 hour car trip would be cheaper even if we have to do the return. I know it may be longer than 4 hours depending on the traffic.

We will head back to ATL from NYC so we can deviate our route on the way back.

Where is the Metro Station?

Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 4th, 2014, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Just saw it was just off the Garden State Parkway. We should be able to find it.

Thanks
Old Jun 4th, 2014, 09:00 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
My thought was Wilmington Delaware if you didn't want to drive into New Jersey.
Aberdeen MD also has 100 free parking spots at the MARC/Amtrak station.
This is a useful site to snag the cheapest Amtrak fares if you have a bit of flexability. The Acela gets you to NYP about 15 to 20 minutes faster but for about $100 more whioch is not worth it to me. http://amsnag.net/
Old Jun 4th, 2014, 09:42 PM

Coming from VA doubt that they want to drive all the way through the city to Long Island - would add at least 1.5 hours to their trip.

Huh? Verrazano Bridge.
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 03:47 AM

Would still take much longer - and then they have to add the trip on the LIRR to the city. From Metro Park it's a distance they would have to travel anyway - and probably quicker that driving.

(I grew up on LI and anyplae there is going to take longer than just taking the last bit of the trip in NJ and do it by train. (Getting across SI TO the Verazzano can take forever in traffic - that the bridge itself, then getting to the LIRR.
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 04:09 AM
sum

I'm pretty sure that parking is free at the Culpepper,VA station, and round trip tix under $120 the end of June.
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 05:10 AM

Culpeper is 1 hour in the wrong direction.
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 05:17 AM

Would still take much longer - and then they have to add the trip on the LIRR to the city. From Metro Park it's a distance they would have to travel anyway - and probably quicker that driving.

(I grew up on LI and anyplae there is going to take longer than just taking the last bit of the trip in NJ and do it by train. (Getting across SI TO the Verazzano can take forever in traffic - that the bridge itself, then getting to the LIRR.

I've taken both commutes, parked at Metropark and commuted in myself. Metropark>Penn is about 1 hour. NJT is usually slower than the LIRR. My parents' stop to Penn is 25-30 min.

Traffic - depends on when they're coming in.

And my solution, parking is free.

I admit my solution is not ideal - but illustrating that there are other alternatives and again, parking is free though Metropark has reasonable overnight rates.
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 08:10 AM

Yes- the LIRR trip is shorter than the trip from Metropark.

But Metropark is on the way - and the time on the train would have been in the car anyway.

To get from NJ across Staten Island to LI will take at least an hour. Then a wait for a train, then another 30 minutes into the city. So perhaps 1 3/4 hours versus one huor leaving the car at Metropark.

Why go in circles? (And frankly I would not be comfortable leaving a car on the street in an area I don;t know for several days.)
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 09:15 AM

The exchange is free parking for 30-45 min more travel time. Trade off is TBD by individual.

The area is very suburban, low crime and a police station 5 blocks away, looks like any neighborhood depicted in a movie scene indicating family bliss. I would even say it's safer than Metropark as there's a decent amount of foot traffic for a suburb as two schools are nearby.

And you can stop by Flushing on the way for some excellent Chinese eats.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 02:36 AM

Well if I were driving all the way fro VA there is no way I would add 45 minutes more to the trip - hauling luggage with me - in order to save a couple of $. And then take an extra 45 minutes on the way back as well.

But naturally, it's up to the OP to decide.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 04:10 AM

I'm with nytraveler. We drive into NYC a few times a year often on weekends. I'd rather do that than have the inconvenience/added time of parking somewhere else. We usually pay about $33/night for parking

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -