Where to go over New Year's?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2007, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I am trying to come up with a good place to visit over New Year's week. We are a family af four (two kids 8,11. Live in Florida and want to go somewhere outside of Florida. We do ski, but I don't want a "ski vacation". Rather I want something with a variety of activities. Snow is fine, no beaches, nature a definite plus. Any suggestions.
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 09:16 AM

How about Boston? There is a fun First Night here - perfect for your kids ages, parade, music, crafts, street performers, ice skating, fireworks - it's not as crowded as Times Sq in NYC, certainly not as famous or big, but still a great time in a very walkable city -
you need a jacket, hat and mittens but that's all I've needed the past few years - and if you haven't been to boston - you can do the Freedom Trail and some museums - and if you want nature, you can also visit some great spots too -
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Is there enough to do to keep us busy for a week? What kinds of activities can we do? I did think about Boston, boy my husband would be mad it wasn't baseball season!
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 10:24 AM

Washington, D.C. for lots of city activities in a surprisingly pleasant city.

For nature you could try the great national parks of Utah or New Mexico.

Both of these areas will force you to deal with some awfully cold weather. If you Floridians aren't up to it, why not explore the Yucatan peninsula? I'm not talking about Cancun, but instead the pretty mountain hilltowns. January would be a wonderful time for a visit.
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 11:44 AM

You could absolutely keep busy in Boston for a week. PLUS - you can maybe appease your husband by taking the Fenway Park Tour - which is loads of fun - look on their web site for the particulars -
boston.redsox.mlb.com and then go to Jillians for burgers/billiards/etc

The hotels are usually all decorated with trees, lights, etc - Faneuil Hall is active with the stores, restaurants, etc.

Other things you can do that time of year:
The Skywalk Observatory at the Pru
The Museum of Science/ Omni Theater / Planetarium
The Museum of Fine Arts
(mfa.com/ see what special exhibits they might have but kids loves the egyptian and sculpture usually)
The North End - (Paul Revere's House, Old NOrth Church from the One if By Land and Two if By sea poem, etc - all included in the Freedom Trail )
www.thefreedomtrail.org

The lights on Boston Common and Boston Public garden: maybe ice skating on the common? you can rent skates at the Frog Pond !

The State House Tour - the Boston Public Library (free and an amazing building with Sargent Murals and tons to see and a great cafe)

How about a show? Blue Man Group, Shear Madness or look online and find a show visiting town-
maybe the Radio City Rockettes if you haven't seen that - the whole family usually enjoys that Christmas spectacle -

The Boston Ballet: Nutcracker

Boston Pops
(or one of the children activities they do during the year also if the schedule coincides)

Some theaters do morning special Christmas movies on the big screen (Miracle on 34th St, It's a Wonderful Life, Grinch, etc)

and who knows what other holiday special events, new ones are added each year -

Bowling and dinner at jasper Whites Summer Shack

Take a day trip to: Plimoth Plantation, Salem, Ma (Witch Museum, house of Seven Gables)
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

bobludlow,

We were just in Washington for Spring Break this year. My husband won't go to the Carribean or Mexico in the winter as he claims that the water is too cold (Floridians). I was thinking of maybe going to Gatlinburg. Last year we were in Boone, NC and loved that. I just wanted to get some other
ideas. I'll talk to my husband about
Boston, but keep the ideas coming.
Thanks.
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 03:14 AM
Original Poster

Please more suggestions!!
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Still looking for somewhere for New Year's with kids. I would prefer something with direct flights from Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area. No beaches.