Search

Where to go in FL

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2004, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to go in FL

My husband and I are looking for a shot of sun - a weekend trip to Florida in February- and, not having travelled to Florida much -are not sure where to go.
We really just want a place we can put our toes in the sand, relax, perhaps a quiet inn on a beach? Don't need much in the way of activities - a few restaurants would be nice -but relaxation is the goal. We'd greatly appreciate your suggestions as to where to go in Florida.
Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 04:32 PM

My favorite place in FLA is NAPLES--very laid back but tons of things to do....

I love the Ritz Carlton- right on the great white sand beach...

The ultimate relaxation resort, IMHO...
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 04:35 PM
cd

Stacy
I would recommend Sanibel, Captiva Islands or Fr Myers Beach. You want someplace far enough south to be warm. Siesta Key I understand has beautiful beaches but I don't think you could get anything this late for just a weekend. Feb/Mar is peak season for Florida. Snowbirds and spring breakers. I would try Sanibel Island Tween Waters Inn. It has a good reputation and the area is beautiful. Check it out at: http://www.tween-waters.com/
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 04:58 PM

The Keys are lovely and most of the time warm enough to relax a bit. We've stayed at a quaint little place on Grassy Key called Rainbow Bend. They ave their own wee spot of beach. Rooms include a hearty breakfast in their cafe. A few good places for a meal in the evening very close by. Very quiet!

You can fly into Miami and drive down in 2 hours or so.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 04:58 PM
GoTravel

Inexpensive for the time period (peak season), beautiful beaches, laid back, Hollywood Beach and The Greenbriar Resort.

Not really a resort but more a mom and pop motel. Full kitchens, includes breakfast, bicycles, oceanfront, heated pool, etc.

Old Jan 21st, 2004, 08:00 PM

Are you talking about this February? You mean one month from now? If so, forget about most places which are long sold out. But I suppose you could find someplace to stay in a pinch.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 05:15 AM

Having just returned from Sanibel, this would be my so-called perfect beach vacation. Howver, unless there has been a recent cancellation, I'm not sure you can get in there or on Captiva.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 05:27 AM

Is the weather warm enough for a beach vacation in Feb.? I've been reading about it being peak season and then on weather underground I see that avg. temps. are only in the 70's in Feb. so I'm wondering...
I just booked a trip to Clearwater Beach for mid-Feb. and am now panicking that it's going to be chilly.
I guess anything will be better than the freezing weather up here in the northeast but I was really picturing laying on the beach, etc. Will I be able to do that or will it be more like sweatshirt-wearing weather?
Any guesses? Thanks!
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 05:43 AM

Weather here is a crapshoot IMO. We are having a "cool" spell, meaning high temps in the low 70s. cool at night. Next week is supposed to be even cooler....you just can't be 100% certain about the weather, yes? ;-)
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 07:35 AM

I'd recommend Lauderdale-by-the-Sea (5 miles north of Ft. Lauderdale). I've stayed at the Coral Key Inn twice (across the street from El Mar Drive) with direct beach access. Small beachtown and when I went it was very quiet and uncrowded. There are several restaurants within walking distance and also walking distance is a small mall with a grocery and drug store and specialty shops.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 08:02 AM

Siesta Key

www.siestakeychamber.com

Great beaches, great restaurants, great nightlife, yet has the feel of a quiet old Florida.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 08:06 AM

The Keys are a good bet. Rooms will be available and probably less $$$ than Naples or Captiva. Very laid back and great food ! If you feel like the drive I would say Key West. By far the best place to just relax.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 05:59 AM

Leslie-
I suggest you plan on wearing a sweatshirt in the morning and evening. But by all means, bring your reading for the laying out during the afternoon.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 09:56 AM

Thanks - even wearing a sweatshirt seems fine today -- in the teens here with an ice storm on the way. Clearwater Beach here I come!
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 10:14 AM
gyppielou

where can you get a direct flight to, since it's a weekend thing? Palm Beach?

Old Jan 27th, 2004, 11:17 AM

I'd recommend Sundial in Sanibel or anywhere you can get on the beach on Sanibel. As a world traveler, Sanibel is absolutely one of my favorites anywhere. Quiet, friendly, clean with a tropical feel. Good restaurants, biking, natural highlights, shopping and beaches-everything you could want if you are not looking for wild nightlife. Much better in my mind then Siesta or Marco both of which I've been to. Stay on Sanibel but spend a day exploring the island and Captiva-don't miss the Mucky Duck restaurant on Captiva for sunset dinner-great fun.