Where to go in California?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 01:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to San Francisco at the end of April for 7/8 days. I want to spend 3 days in San Francisco itself but the other 4 days I'd like to hire a car and explore the surrounding area. I'm quite keen on spending a night in Yosemite but if you have any other suggestions, that would be great. Cheers, Hayley
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 02:17 AM

First place you should go - before leaving your computer - is to the "Search This Forum" box and you will find all your answers here on tens of threads from travelers before you. This way, you won't have to wait for replies...
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 07:10 AM

The most popular side trips from SF are:

* Down the coast to Santa Cruz, Monterey, Carmel, and Big Sur.

* North to the wine country - Napa and Sonoma Valleys.

* East to Yosemite and/or Lake Tahoe

At the end of April, you might see snow in the mountains, but you are unlikely to get new snow. The winter storms should have passed. You could get some rain though.

Yosemite would be spectacular because the waterfalls should be in full force. Around Lake Tahoe, the snow should be melting, which is really pretty. Along the coast and in the wine country, rain is unlikely, but you could see a little bit.
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I've had a look at the other posts and (I think) have deciced on visiting Santa Cruz, Monterey and Yosemite. Which is the best route, bearing in mind I will be setting off and returning to San Francisco?
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 08:26 AM

Unless you are a really early riser and can get off to Yosemite early in the day -- I'd really suggest you spend two nights there. It's such a long drive to arrive for a few hours which isn't enough time to see much of anything.
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 10:59 AM

I would really focus on North CA and skip Yosemite. It may be snowing and the drive will be tough.

If you are going to stay in SF for 3 days and only have 4 to see other sites I would:

1) Spend one day to go to wine country. You can keep your hotel in SF and go on a day trip to Napa.

2) Stay one night in Monterey and then visit the Redwoods and Big Sur. Possibly stay two nights.

4) If you must go to Yosemite, consider staying there for a few nights. It is a huge place and a destination ion and of itself. But, it will be a long drive!

Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 11:26 AM

For Santa Cruz, Monterey, and Yosemite, this is what I would do:

Day 1:
Leave SF via Hwy 280 and either cut over to the coast at Pacifica and take Hwy 1 down to Santa Cruz or take Hwy 280 to San Jose and take Hwy 17 over to Santa Cruz. Hwy 1 will take longer, but you will be a long the coast the whole way and can stop for some beach combing if you choose. Hwy 280/17 will be quicker and you will go through some redwoods on Hwy 17. This drive will take 1 1/2-2 1/2 hours depending on route.

Spend a couple hours in Santa Cruz and have breakfast or lunch there, depending on when you leave SF and how long you spend enroute.

Continue down Hwy 1 to Monterey (approx 45 minutes to 1 hour). Spend the afternoon exploring Monterey, spend the night.

Day 2:
Spend the morning in Monterey and leave for Yosemite mid-morning to mid-day.

I would go Hwy 1 north to Hwy 156 east, to Hwy 101 north. Then take Hwy 152 east at Gilroy, go through Merced (unsure of the highway name) and take Hwy 140 into Yosemite Valley. This drive should take you about 4 hours, without stops.

Day 3:
In Yosemite Valley

Day 4:
Drive from Yosemite Valley to SF. I would take Hwy 120 out of Yosemite and then pick up Hwy 580. I don't remember all the highways, but it is a fairly straight shot back to SF. I think this will take you about 4 hours.
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 11:48 AM
lovingheart

Go down Highway 1 as far as you can and back again. This is one of the great drives of the world.

Old Dec 28th, 2004, 07:04 AM

Dear furry,
It would be a shame not to visit Carmel when you are down in the Monterey area. Pt. Lobos Reserve south of Carmel is a one-of-a-kind place that should be on everyone's list to see.
-Bill
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 07:43 AM

Yosemite is a place that words cannot describe. It would be worth a trip, even if for the day. Yes, its a good 4+ hour drive from Santa Cruz or SF. Stay overnight in Merced or smaller Mariposa or El Portal and take HWY 140 or stay overnight in Sonora (and take Hwy 120). Then drive in to Yosemite Valley for the day. Its mountain driving. But what you see is so beautiful and amazing!
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 09:54 AM

I'll second the idea of spending two nights in Yosemite. It's so beautiful and the spring is the best time for viewing the waterfalls.

Utahtea