Where to go for Thanksgiving?

Old Sep 27th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to go for Thanksgiving?

Does anyone have a good suggestion for a destination for the four day Thanksgiving weekend? My husband and I live in NYC and that is one weekend when we can take a couple of extra days Unfortunately,most cities are closed down on Thanksgiving day as everyone is with their families. Last year we travelled to London so I guess we would take suggestions for any place in the world. We like to do sightseeing, shop and go to good restaurants and we would like the climate to be mild. We would appreciate any ideas that you may have.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 12:30 PM

go to gate1travel.com and look for their Thanksgiving Deals. They have really great deals all over the world for that weekend. A couple years back my wife and I spent the weekend in Prague for $399/person. This was airfare and hotel inclusive. I don't know if it will work for your schedule or not, but it is worth a look.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 12:45 PM

Well, Las Vegas would seem to fit the bill - shopping, restaurants, mild climate, and sightseeing. That week is fairly quiet, and the room rates are pretty good. A number of the shows on the strip will probably be dark during this time period, but there should still be some good choices available. Los Angelenos tend to head for Vegas on the Friday after Thanksgiving, so things get a bit more crowded on the weekend, but it's not too bad.

Major European cities are a pretty good bet for this time period, but you might also want to consider South America. Buenos Aires is a great city for sightseeing, shopping, and really great steak. Airfares should be pretty good out of NYC, and the US dollar still goes pretty far in Argentina. Since it's in the Southern Hemisphere, the climate should be excellent in late November.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 01:10 PM
GoTravel

Is this an urban trip or for R&R?

My suggestions:

Charleston
Hong Kong
Vancouver

Old Sep 27th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Is it possible to travel to South America or Hong Kong from New York for a four day weekend? We are just looking for some place interesting to explore. Las Vegas is a great idea as we have been there many times and holidays don't mean anything in that City...there's alawys action...but we were looking for some place different.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 01:39 PM

Hi nyjudie, I can't guarantee mild weather but normally SF is pretty good weatherwise in San Francisco. Various places serve traditional Thanksgiving dinners if that interests you. Or you could eat at ChinaTown or one of the many SF ethnic restaurants. I have more than once spent the Thanksgiving weekend in SF have always enjoyed doing that. I do think all the stores and shops will be closed on Thanksgiving (if memory serves me right) but SF is such a beautiful place to walk around in I don't think you would be bored. And since there are lots of single people and couples without children I think you would enjoy yourself. From what you say you enjoy doing (my list is the same) that is my suggestion. Best wishes.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 01:48 PM

I have spent many Thanksgivings in Florida and San Antonio with beautiful weather.
My family likes to rent a cabin with hot tub, etc in the Smoky Mountains.
This year, we are spending it in Rome. I am counting the days.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 01:49 PM

I had a great weekend over thanksgiving one year in Montreal. It snowed, and we got cozy in front of the fireplace in a little boutique hotel in the old quarter of town. Great shopping / value for the dollar.

Also, Washington DC is great at this time of year. On thanksgiving day we basically had the entire Natural History museum to our selves. Also, admission fees to any museums in DC. Food is fabulous, plenty of choices for theater as well. Try the Kennedy Center.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 01:53 PM

Head to San Diego.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 02:15 PM

I looked at the possibility of going to Vegas out of San Francisco... can go there, but the return flights are sold out except all most expensive and weird hours. Or with a connection somewhere.

OK, off to keep looking
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 02:28 PM
GoTravel

nyjudie, I was under the impression you were going to add a few days to the already four day weekend.

For just four days, I would not try Hong Kong or Vancouver.

Charleston yes.

Old Sep 27th, 2006, 04:59 PM

Yup - I had the same impression - that you had a couple of extra days to add on. It's a 10 hour flight to Buenos Aires, so you'd only have 2.5-3 days to enjoy the city if you limited yourself to the 4-day weekend.

Faina - have you tried alternate airports? Southwest flies in/out of Oakland and has availability to Vegas. At around $300 R/T (Fri-Sun), the fare isn't great, but it ain't too bad.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 05:02 PM

I see a lot of good deals to Bermuda at the moment. It is only 2.5 hours from NYC. You might also have luck with any number of Caribbean destinations.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 09:51 AM

Lifelist, yes, I use SW out of OAK. There is more - the senior fares are sold out, and it would be with my parents. Oh, well... I'll be checking last minute packages in November.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 10:07 AM

Paris. Like London that time of year, it can be a little cool and gray, but not too awful. Plus, the Christmas lights go up in Paris around that weekend.