Where to go for snow in Los Angeles

Old Dec 23rd, 2003, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to go for snow in Los Angeles

We would like to go find some snow in the northern Los Angeles area. I haven't paid attention to where to find snow, where to stay, where to sled once we are there, etc. Any help would be great! We are in Santa Clarita (near Magic Mountain) and have little ones.
Thanks!
Old Dec 24th, 2003, 06:07 AM
Jun20

For a day trip, the snow levels will be dropping at Frazier Park-Mt.Pinos area in a couple of days. If it's just playing in the snow with little ones, many families go there with snow disks (Big 5 or Sport Chalet), or sleds, and thermos of hot chocolate. It's probably 30-45 minute drive north on the I-5, Frazier Park turn-off and several miles inland until you find a place along the road.
May need chains - depending on this storm that's forcasted.

Old Dec 24th, 2003, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much- that is very close to us. I just wasn't sure how hard it would be to find a sledding hill. Any ideas on Big Bear? I heard there is a snow hill just for sledding there.
Old Dec 24th, 2003, 08:35 AM
Jun20

You can go to www.bigbearinfo.com and call the 800 number for some snow and sledding information. Have fun!

Old Dec 24th, 2003, 10:10 AM

Hi, you should call the ranger station on Frazier Park or Mt Pinos first to find out the snow loevels. We had a blast last year just sledding on the hills next to the Ranger's station. We had chains and needed them to proceed to the top. It's safer then parking along the access road and letting the kids slide next to the highway (which many people do.) You might have to pay $5 to park though we were there on Christmas day and there wasn't anyone to collect the fee last year.

http://www.fs.fed.us/outernet/lpnf/mp/xctry.htm