where to go for girls weekend?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2005, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My best friend and I are in our late 30's married with kids and so on...we need a break! We live in the Chicago area and would like to drive no more than 3 hours away. The Dells are out, Lake Geneva out and Mall of America is too far. Any ideas out there for the Desparate Moms?
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 10:45 AM

What time of year?

Are you looking for a city trip, spa, partying, beach, hiking, etc.?
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

We are thinking sometime in April or 2nd weekedn in May. If we could find a spa-like place that won't cost us our first born, great. I think we just want to go somewhere different than home now. Cost is an issue. Hoping to find a place for about $80 a night, unless something else is out there that is all inclusive...nothing like an apple vacation though. Hiking is great, relaxing and shopping is great too.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 12:24 PM

You aren't going to do the Thelma and Louise thing are you?!!! LOL
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 12:35 PM

Well, if you go later in April or in May you could do a town on the Lake Michigan shore in Michigan (Saugatuck area). Swimming wouldn't be an option, but the weather should be nice enough to enjoy the town and maybe walk on the dunes.

You could go more urban and go to Indianapolis.

Or, head to Madison. College towns are often fun, and this one's beautiful too!

Weather would be warmer in St. Louis, but it's a bit further than 3 hours of driving.

I'm not familiar with any spas/resorts in the area so can't help there. You could also just head into Chicago and play the tourist bit, staying in a decent hotel and eating in fun places that aren't so kid friendly. Maybe see a show or two. Don't know how much time you actually spend in the city now, so that may or may not be fun for you.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

No, I am not going through a Thelma and Louise thing; at least not yet...seriously, we just wanted to have a fun weekend just hanging out since we don't get to do that other than going to Target or something for diapers, bandaides and more. Not exactly exciting ya know.

We do spend some time in the city and actually we are both spending time with our respective families there in a few weeks. Madison could be an option, Indianapolis always seemed a bit on the boring side but I could be wrong. As for spa things, well, I think we may pass on that unless it came at a hotel or something we were at.

I love South Haven and Saugatuck but I always thought of those places as more "romantic" rather than two girlfriends spending time together...perhaps because my husband and I have been there a few times together.

Are there other ideas there in Michigan or Wisconsin areas or even in Illinois? All are welcomed! And thanks for your suggestions.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 07:08 PM

Have you considered Milwaukee? There are tons of breweries with tours and you could see a Bucs or Brewers game, too.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

We have considered Milwaukee...we don't live too far from there. I think we are leaning more toward the Michigan end. Does anyone know about Union or anything in Michigan, other than Ann Arbor? Thanks again for all of your suggestions...they are great but I think we are concentrating more on the Michigan frontier at this point, unless there is another person out there who knows of some great place.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 02:21 PM

I'm looking for the same thing! In my search, I did come up with -
http://www.heartlandspa.com/index.htm

Heartland Spa. I don't know if that's suits what you're looking for, but I will keep an eye on this thread. Good luck!
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 06:51 PM

One of my girlfriends and I have been heading up to Milwaukee periodically on the weekends, there's actually more to do than you think. We've been to the Pabst Mansion, the Milwaukee Art Museum and the conservatory, there's also the zoo, some interesting architecture and some nice places to eat, esp. if you like German food. On the way up/back, you can stop at any one of the three outlet malls you hit in Kenosha or Gurnee.

Have you looked into Galena? I've only been there for the day but there are some nice shops and restaurants and b&b's.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

We may take a weekend up to Milwaukee some time soon. We've been there several times but haven't done some of the things mentioned. The Heartland may be a possibility in the fall if we can financially swing it. Thanks for all the suggestions...keep 'em coming!