Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where to go after 2 days in Niagara Falls?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2005, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 teens ages 15, 18) and are planning on a very short road trip this summer. We would like to drive to the Falls and spend two nights (I am thinking of booking the Sheraton on the Falls), then we want to find somewhere to spend 2 nights on the way back home to suburban NYC. We are looking for a place to sit back, relax, enjoy some scenery and maybe indulge the kids needs for some hiking and water sports. I have spent a lot of time looking at maps and guidebooks and have come up with nothing! Any ideas? We have done a lot of traveling this year and this trip is just a short family road trip but we would like a nice place to sit back for a couple of days. Thanks! Susan
Old May 1st, 2005, 10:17 AM

Catherine Lake in Canada? It isn't far from the falls. I'm not sure about accomodations b/c I have only been through the area once. It is lovely though.

Old May 1st, 2005, 10:24 AM

Based on where you will be and the time you have available, I'm going to suggest that you take a look at the Thousand Islands area east of Lake Ontario. Just type "Thousand Islands, Ontario" into a Google search and you'll find plenty of sites to research. Some of them are rather homespun-looking, but it's an interesting area and it would certainly cover the hiking, relaxing, enjoying scenery bases for you nicely.
Old May 1st, 2005, 10:32 AM

Thousands Island takes you so much out of your way when you go back to NYC from the Falls. It is actually way up in Upstate NY right about the border near where Ontario and Quebec provinces meet.

Also, regarding the other suggestion pertaining to Catherine Lake in Canada - there's no such lake or area near where the Falls are. There is the city of St. Catherine's in Ontario, but there's nothing there anymore than a regular working-man's town in Ontario.

I'll suggest Ontario-on-the-Lake in the Falls area in Canada. Quant shops and restaurants, good hotels, lots of beautiful views of the river, picnic grounds, lots of wineries.
Old May 1st, 2005, 10:36 AM

Now I got myself confused with the names - the town is called Niagara-on-the-lake and it is only about 20 minutes easy driving from the Falls.
Old May 1st, 2005, 10:44 AM

Yes, makemyday, that's it!! Niagra on the Lake! I knew it wasn't Ontario but I have NO clue where I got Catherine Lake from. Sorry, Susan66, I'm glad someone caught my mistake before I sent you on a wild goose chase!
Old May 1st, 2005, 03:21 PM

Would look at the finger Lakes - lots of oppportunities - along with Cooperstown if anyone is a baseball fan.
Old May 1st, 2005, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

We are now thinking of Lake Geneva and staying at Geneva on the Lake. It sounds good, any comments on that choice? It looks as though it will fit the bill and it will cut down on our ride home as well.
Old May 1st, 2005, 05:02 PM

Geneva on the Lake is on Seneca Lake, not "Lake Geneva", which as far as I know, is in Switzerland. It is a beautiful place, but very expensive. I think your teenagers might be a little bored there. To me, it's a an older crowd. I'd take a look at Ithaca which has some great restaurants for the grown-ups, great parks and waterfalls for the teenagers, and some funky shops for everyone. It's also more "along the way" back to NYC.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 02:42 AM
Original Poster

Sorry about that rbrazil, I meant Seneca Lake. I just typed too quick and did not proof. We are looking for a laid back place for these two days and I don't think Ithaca will have the charm we are looking for. We loved the look of Geneva on the Lake (from the website). But I will check out Ithaca.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:31 AM

We did this trip last summer from Northern Va. We stayed in both Corning and then at Geneva on the Lake on the way to Niagara Falls.

Corning was more fun. The glass works are AWESOME and an unexpected highlight of our trip. My daughter (11 y/o) still talks about it as her favorite place. Also, you can reach Watkins Glen and Ithaca from there, both places well worth the visit.

Geneva on the Lake is a fancy resort and our kids were both intimidated and bored out of their skulls there. We had some fun playing croquet and got the kids in the pool for a few minutes but it was cloudy and we could not get out on the lake. Mostly we visited wineries on the Seneca Wine Trail while they stayed in the room and watched TV.

Based on our experience, we would pick Corning over Geneva on the Lake by a very wide margin.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:53 AM
cd

Susan
You might also want to check out Sheraton Fallsview. I think it is the one closer to the Falls.
Geneva State Park has a new lodge just recently opened right on Lake Erie. There are woods for hiking and just a short walk away, a marina. Here is the web site: http://www.thelodgeatgeneva.com/accommodations.asp
Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:03 AM
cd

OK, I guess I have the wrong Geneva on the Lake. The one I was referring to is in Ohio on Lake Erie. Sorry....
Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

MSR3017 - I thought that we could still visit Corning glass works with Geneva on the Lake as a place to stay. Is that possible? The place looks so beautiful and the kids loved the look of it. They are older and will both have been traveling a lot during the summer without us (Peru and England) so this was just going to be a leisurely road trip and my kids, being older teens, enjoy sitting in nice surroundings and reading. I guess I am also hoping for nice weather so we can go out on the lake.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:51 AM

You could go to Corning Glass Works from Geneva on the Lake - it is not far at all and there are lots of wineries to stop at along the way. We also did Watkins Glen on the way from Corning to Geneva.

I think Ithaca would be a more fun place for older teens to poke around and explore.

We were a bit disappointed by Geneva on the Lake when all was said and done -- it is a beautiful facility and setting but it was too formal for us to kick back and really enjoy.

One last note: Make sure it is NOT a "race weekend" at Watkins Glen or you won't get a hotel room because they will all be full already.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:47 AM

have you thought about lake placid? tons of places to stay, things to do, and it is only 3 hours from nyc. (that's worst case traffic)
Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Justme22 - yes, we have visited Lake Placid before. And yes, we did like it!
Old May 3rd, 2005, 08:04 PM

I would suggest Letchworth State PArk. About an hour and a half east of the Falls on the way back to NYC. Beuatiful scenery; lots of hiking opportunities. There's a couple of cabins in the park (Carolines Cabin is a two bedroom one, however, I doubt if it would be available). There's a Country Inn and Suites just outside of the parks grounds.
Old May 4th, 2005, 12:34 PM

Susan -- I am from the area, and have to agree with others on Ithaca vs. Geneva. Although Geneva looks great, it is not nearly as diverse as Ithaca. While Ithaca has all the fun stuff, they also have a ton more hiking & water sports. There is Taughannock State Park and Buttermilk Falls which offer both swimming and hiking. Geneva has neither and is pretty flat. Also a much larger variety of restaurants and a lot of relaxing B&B's to stay at. Do a search on Ithaca and you should find a lot.

Watkins Glen has a phenominal gorge and Corning is great for the glass. Keep in mind that Geneva to Corning is at about 1.5 hours door to door.

Good luck!!
Old May 4th, 2005, 12:47 PM

I think the teenagers would love Ithaca. The atmosphere from the restaurants/stores etc. generated by Cornell creates a nice college age feeling that I think your teens would enjoy, plus there are so many wonderful natural attractions in the area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -