where to eat near Bryce?

Old Apr 30th, 2005, 10:59 AM
JIW
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where to eat near Bryce?

Staying in the park for 2 nights...what are choices for places to eat around Bryce NP if not in the park itself? Nothing fancy just basic fare.
Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 11:20 AM

We had a very good meal at The Lodge itself. The value wasn't great but the food was excellent. No bar so if you want a drink you have to eat.
I belive Ruby's is the most popular choice close by. It's about 3 miles from the Park Entrance.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 11:27 AM

I have not tried the lodge in the park but, otherwise, there is really no special places to Dine in the BC area. Ruby's Inn, just outside the park gates, is OK if a little over priced.

I can't remember the name of it but there is a restaurant next to the motel right at the junction of U-12 and the Bryce Canyon entry road that was about a good a quality as I've found in that area.

The restaurant at the Canyon Pines motel a mile or so west of the junction is also pretty good as are the Pizza (hot sandwiches too) place and the cafes in Tropic.

Avoid, at all costs, Fosters Restaurant on U-12 west of the junction but before you get to the Canyon Pines Inn. It is, IMO, the worst restaurant I've ever eaten in.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 01:53 PM

In Tropic, UT (about 20 minutes from Ruby's) there is a small place called Hoodoo Restaurant. It is in a building that serves as gift shop, general store, gas station, candy shop and restaurant. Basic American food of excellent quality. We had local trout. They seemed genuinely insulted that we did not order dessert. I had a fascinating conversation with the woman who runs the candy shop about what life is like for locals in the winter.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 06:39 PM

Having eaten at Ruby's a couple times and at the dining room in the park's lodge, I'd vote for it over Ruby's anytime. Nothing great, but much nicer than Ruby's and about the same price actually.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 06:49 PM

If you want to eat in the park itself, I strongly recommend reservations made a full day ahead. I went there once and would have had to wait until after 9 pm for a seat.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 07:06 PM

I thought the food at the Lodge was auwful- especially for the poor service and the outrageous prices. We ended up going to Tropic for all our meals. We had friendly service good, but plain food and the prices were good. A foodie
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 07:08 PM

Eat in the park lodge if at all possible.

Ruby's fast food place (not sure of name)not the main restaturant but the diner in a separate building on the property, was fine for a burger or chicken sandwich.

Ruby's is ok for breakfast but dinner is terrible and very overpriced.
Old May 1st, 2005, 05:56 AM

Ruby's has basic food but I thought it was pretty awful. The lodge had decent but overpriced food.
Old May 5th, 2005, 10:21 AM

I was just in BC last week for 2 nights and I second dwoddon's opinion on Foster's - stay away from that place! We only ate breakfast at the Lodge, which was good and very reasonable. Chose not to eat dinner there because it seemed pricey, but little did we realize that there is not that much around Bryce for good food! Also ate at Ruby's Canyon Diner, which is the "fast food" part of Ruby's and it was just okay. Beware of the pizza though - it was really greasy!
Old May 5th, 2005, 12:31 PM

We stayed at BC Pines & ate most meals there. The food is pretty good & prices are reasonable. Save room for pie!