Where to eat in Boston?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 05:09 AM
KEC
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to eat in Boston?

Hello,
My husband and I will be going to Boston for our anniversary at the end of November. We have orchestra tix for Saturday night, and I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good place to have dinner before the performance.

Nothing too expensive (don't want to spend more than $100 for 2 people - without drinks b/c I'm pregnant). We like all types of cuisine, but don't prefer something like a steakhouse. We really enjoy any kind of ethnic food and also seafood.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 05:22 AM

For exact help go to www.chowhound.com and go to the Boston link.. these people will tell you exactly which restaurant and for what type of food...
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 05:25 AM

Are you seeing the Pops or the BSO at Symphony Hall? If so, most of the restaurants on Newbury St or Boylston would be close by. I like Brasserie Jo at the Colonade on Huntington. It is walking distance to Symphony Hall.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 05:36 AM
KEC
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas. I will look into them. We are seeing the BSO, so something close by would be great!

Thanks!
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 07:28 AM

We had a wonderful dinner after a BSO performance, sitting at the bar at Caffe Umbria, across from Holy Cross Cathedral on Washington Street in South Boston. You will have to drive, but we had no trouble parking.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 07:31 AM

I think you mean Mission Hill or the South End. South Boston is a completely different neighborhood.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 07:31 AM

We went to Skipjack's after a performance last year. It's seafood and was very, very good. It's at 199 Clarendon St in Back Bay.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 11:33 AM

Brasserie Jo is an excellent choice; the food is very good and it's only 2 or 3 blocks from Symphony Hall.

For something more informal, the Marché in the Prudential Center would be a good choice. If you haven't been to one (they're a chain run by the Swiss Mõvenpick group), Marché is a very upscale cafeteria, where you pick out the items you want from any of several different stations, then take it all back to your table. My experience is that the food is pretty good (but not more than that), but a big plus is that each person in the group can have the type of cuisine they want, and each person can have a little or a lot to eat. Also, you can usually get in and out of the Marché fairly quickly.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 12:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Buzzy, that's the south end.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 12:17 PM

Buzzy:

Not to pile on, but I think it's Cafe Umbra. A great choice from what I hear.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 07:28 AM
KEC
Original Poster

Any other thoughts?
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 08:27 AM

I'll 2nd Skipjack's (www.skipjacks.com).

They are the only seafood restaurant I like to go to in Boston. I love their gingered sea bass.

If you go, might just make a reservation first. And let the server know that you need to be out quick.

PS. asks for Chris and tell him his ski pass buddy sent you. He will take care of you.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 08:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Clio's on Mass Ave at the Hotel Eliot you might be able to do at that price without drinks. I always call when treating smeone how much would it be for two. There's the Italian restaurant at Armani's on Newbury st.
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 01:52 PM

I doubt you can eat at Clio (Eliot Hotel) for less than $100, even without drinks. It's a tad pricey. But excellent if you did want to splurge. Perhaps Ambrosia on Huntington (www.ambrosiaonhuntington.com) might work and it's close to Symphony Hall. Also take a look at Azure at the Lenox Hotel (www.lenoxhotel.com) on Boylston Street. There are also lots of restaurants on Newbury Street. Try Sonsie for a good, not too expensive meal. It's also on the Mass. Ave. end of the street so you're not too far from the concert venue. And one more suggestion is Great Bay in the brand new Hotel Commonwealth in Kenmore Square (close to Fenway Park). It has really good food but it's also the new "in" spot right now so make your reservations as soon as possible.

Out of all the suggestions you've received so far my guess is you'd be pushing $100 at Ambrosia, Azure and Great Bay and exceeding it a bit at Clio. You should be able to make your budget at Brasserie Jo, Sonsie, Skipjack's, Marche and possibly Caffe Umbra and Armani Cafe.