Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where to do a gentle secluded river rafting trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2011, 04:31 PM
TC
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We would like to do a river rafting "adventure" this summer/fall in the U.S. We want to do the kind where we float/paddle during the day -- beautiful scenery, some fishing, Class 2 rapids for fun, crew to set up camps and cook gourmet meals, sleep out 2 nights, and MOST IMPORTANT quiet, secluded area without hordes of boats or other campers around?

Is there such a place? Idaho, Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, the Virginias? I would love to near your suggestions.

Thanks.
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 05:22 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
There are several rivers in Oregon where you can do this.
I'll give you the link to the Rogue River downstream from Merlin. http://www.rogueriverraft.com/
There is also rafting on the Deschutes, John Day and Snake Rivers. The Snake forms the border of Oregon and Idaho.
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 05:28 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Here's one -
http://www.far-away.com/accolades.html
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 05:40 PM

Two outstanding guide companies next to Glacier Park in northwest Montana and easily reached by flights into Kalispell, Montana:
WWW.glacierraftco.com
www.Glacierguides.com

Both have either daily trips or longer including weekly trips.
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 05:48 PM

This might not be what you are looking for, but it's very secluded, woodsy and quite...the Saco River. It's in Maine/New Hampshire, and you float down the river 2 days at an even pace. You can camp right on the sandy shores all along the river, every other bend had a little sandy spot and you pick your own...meaning no one else will camp out with you! I did this with a group of people and it was so much fun.

A few things to think about...you need 2 vehicles...or a cab..one to bring you back to where you parked. This place is mostly only known to locals. The river is pretty mild and curvy so no rapids, but a great outback wilderness trip. You can also have camp fires, but bring bug spray!
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 06:18 AM
TC
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I will investigate them all. My biggest concern is the number of people during rafting season. All the web site photos show raft after raft and we don't want a trip where it's literally a train of rafts. Many also talk about sending a lead boat with the camping gear to set up and snag the best spot for the night. This leads me to believe that the camp sites are shared with a lot of others. We want something that is quiet -- to hear the sounds of nature, rather than the sounds of people. There are so many outfitters doing trips on some of the more well known rivers, The Snake, The Salmon, etc; that I don't know how it could possible be anything other than an amusement park ride atmosphere. Many of the rivers also offer 1/2 day or even jet boat trips. I would be so disappointed if we got into the middle of something like that.

Do I just have an unrealistically romantic view of what can be done? Thanks, again.
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 06:31 AM

"Do I just have an unrealistically romantic view of what can be done?"

Rafting companies/ guides are a business. They run the rivers that people want to raft on. The link I gave was to a company that customizes trips. So, you call them and tell them what you are looking for. You want Class 2 rapids, not 3 or 4. You want 2 nights and some of them run trips of several nights. So, call them, tell them what you want and they may know of a stretch of the river that is what you are looking for. Yes, if you are luxury camping the set-up boat will go ahead and set up your camp for you. You want that. No, it won't be at a campground with everyone else. Guides who know their rivers can put something together for you. You don't know until you ask.

Do you want to raft a river that won't have anyone else on the river? Highly unlikely. Can they create a trip that is what you are looking for? Maybe. There's a famous rafting river near me. Most people want to raft the Class IV rapids. You don't. Most people doing Class II rapids are families with kids. A guide could put in your raft after the group tours have gone downstream.

The New River in WV is a great rafting experience too. Check into guides for that river.
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 06:45 AM

>

This isn't true on the Salmon, Middle Fork or Snake. You send the lead boat ahead because not all camp sites are reservable (especially on the Lower Salmon, for example). So depending on the size of your party, you may need a bigger sand bar or a smaller sand bar, and some sand bars are nicer than others. The first boat to get to an unreservable site gets it for the night. It would be very unusual to share a campsite with another group.

The Main Salmon has a lot of Class III rapids and a couple Class IV's. Whether they're big or small Class III's or IV's really depends on the water flow and time of year. Some of the Class III's that are big in high water are tiny in low water, but the reverse is also true. A Class III that's washed out in high water may be big in low water.

The Main Salmon is usually about 5 to 7 day float. The sand bars are big and it's a fun river trip. You'll float through deep canyons (deeper than the Grand Canyon). It's wilderness area, but there are a few working ranches along the river. They send their hay out by jet boat. Jet boats are allowed on the Salmon. You'll have the opportunity to stop at hot springs along the way, and you'll check out the ranches, too. You'll see big horn sheep, deer, birds, maybe a rattlesnake or two, and one year we saw a bear. You will see other rafts, but generally, you'll see the same group or two once or twice a day depending on when you take off in the mornings or stop in the afternoons. It's not crowded. You'll sleep on sand bars at night, and the stars are incredible.

The Middle Fork is more secluded than the Main. The rapids are bigger (a lot of Class III and IV and IV+), and you're floating through more of a forested area than the Main Salmon. It's colder (both air temps and water temps) so there's less opportunity for swimming. I believe there are fewer launches per day on the Middle Fork than on the Main. The river is narrower on the Middle Fork than the Main Salmon. There are a lot of natural hot springs along the trip.

The Lower Salmon is a little different than both the Main and Middle Fork because you're not required to have a permit to float it. You'll run into more day traffic from jet boaters. But jet boaters can't float as far down the river as the rafts and kayaks can so after you hit the big rapids (Snowhole, China, etc.) you won't see any more jet boats on the river. There are great sand beaches on the Lower Salmon, too. Most of the sites are not reservable so it's first come, first served for campsites. There's a part of the trip where you'll float through black canyons and it's stunning!

You can also do day floats from the take-out for most Main Salmon trips through the town of Riggins and below. This is a fun float, and you hit a lot of Class III rapids. It's not as secluded as what you're looking for, though.

Still, none of these rivers are anything remotely close to an amusement park ride atmosphere. There just aren't that many people. Plus, the Middle Fork and Main are permitted so the Forest Service controls the number of people launching every day. It's pretty darn quiet. And it's certainly remote.

I can't recommend any companies. We have a big group that all puts in for permits every year, and then we go on our own. Our group has a permit for the Main again this summer and also the Snake. I don't think I'll be able to make either trip this year, but the trips are fun!
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 09:14 AM

About 35 years ago when I was in college, back when dinosaurs still roamed the earth (as my kids would believe), I took a several day white water rafting, horseback riding trip out of Vail, CO. I don't remember the name of the river, but it was very calm, peaceful, couldn't have been more than Class II rapids. We spent 1 day rafting, overnight in tents and sleeping bags, then on horseback the next day. There were a group of about 15-20 people, I actually did this on my own and was matched up with the others. It was a lot of fun. Sorry, I don't remember the name of the company, but I am sure if you did some homework, they or something like that still exists. Vail was a great place to base yourself and very scenic.
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 10:16 AM
TC
Original Poster

Once again, you guys are wonderful to share all this great information.

Starrs: I've been corresponding with Annie at Far/Away. It is an awesome company. They don't do custom trips unless you have a group of your own, but they do offer many custom features on the trips they do. Having said that....its pricey - $1600 to $2300 PP depending on the length of trip. About what I would expect for this level of luxury, however. Equal to an African safari. Have you been rafting with Far/Away, Starrs?

Kureiff; Thanks for all the details. That is a big help as I plan. Far/Away does the middle fork, so your information helps me understand their path better.

Aliska, I'll do a little Googling. I love horseback riding too, so that could be a nice mix.
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 10:30 AM

http://www.rowadventures.com/rafting-vacations

This is another option for guides. I'd guess that they're less expensive. We see them all the time on the rivers.
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 12:58 PM

NC on the Nantahala. Or the French Broad. And nice weather.
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 01:11 PM

Here's a much cheaper option on the New River in WV. The camping is not luxury though - although they may be able to amp it up for you. Note that the Class II overnight trip can be modified by putting in higher up in the river - which means it would be much more private - and a lot calmer.

http://www.narr.com/new-river-overni...ing-trips.html

I did the Lower New as a day trip and it's beautiful scenery.
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 02:14 PM
TC
Original Poster

These just seem to be day trips, Gretchen, but thank you.

We do like the idea of a more lux trip, Starrs.