Whitewater rafting Rogue River Oregon

Old Jan 17th, 2004, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whitewater rafting Rogue River Oregon

We're interested in a rafting trip on the Rogue River or similar river, either with camping or a combination of camping and lodge. Can anyone recommend the best outfitters, or steer us away from the worst outfitters? This would be for a family of four, including two athletic older teens.
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 09:33 AM

We booked, but had to cancel a couple years ago with www.wildrogue.com
We had planned (after lots of advice) to do a four day combination of lodge and camp stays. It just seemed to be the most varied trip.

Sorry, not really able to give first hand information on best outfitter, but have fun. I still want to do this.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Patrick. I think you are right about the combination trips. Has anyone taken a Rogue River rafting trip?
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 05:30 PM

While we were on the Jet Boats on the Rogue, I noticed a lot of orange rafts and assumed it was a rafting trip. www.orangetorpedo.com is the website.

The office is located right by the Riverside Inn. Maybe someone who has done a trip with this outfitter could comment. ***kim***
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 04:56 PM

For rafting adventures I would look for outfitters in Grants Pass and Medford. I have not done the rafting (yet) but it does look like fun, with an element of danger. (Our jet boat pulled an upside down raft out of the rocks - the people were fine but not sure what would have happened if we hadn't helped. Do not ever grumble about tying your stuff down carefully - you won't regreat it when you capsize!)

I'm sorry I don't have any outfitters to recommend, I do know the permits can be difficult to get for some parts of the river so get your reservations in as soon as you decide. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 06:25 AM

Orange torpedoe is a a good company.
Whitewater cowboys is another they are both in or near Grants Pass.
If you will be looking for lodging(which I would do seperate) Riverside Inn is a nice place. They also own a fantastic place called the Weasku Inn.
The name doesnt do this place justice. It is however a little farther out of town.
BTW if you stay at the Riverside Inn their is a great place called Thai BBQ that has great Thai for good prices.
Other info available if needed I actually live about six blocks from Riverside Inn! Have fun!
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 07:56 AM

I'll second Orange Torpedos provided mom and dad are reasonably fit as well. Most trips are in one-man, inflatable kayaks, with each person following a guide through the rapids. I'd think your kids would love this.
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 08:00 AM

p.s. I can't comment on the Rogue trip, but have done the lower Salmon if you're interested in that.
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 09:30 AM

Panhandle, have you tried the New Sammy's Cowboy Bistro in Talent? I've been hearing so many good things about that place. Do you ever go to Rafter's and eat?

We love sitting on their deck on the summer and taking in the beauty of the Rogue and all the great wildlife there.

I have heard wonderful things about the Weasku Inn. It has been featured in Travel and Leisure a few times. Walt Disney, Marilyn Monroe, and few other famous movie stars have stayed there. Are they open to the public for meals at all there? ***kim***
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 06:31 AM

Kim,
Yes we do enjoy Rafters;although, the food isnt as good as it used to be. I dont believe that Weasku does food for non guests but I have never tried. The dining room doesnt have a view of the river but is cozy. I would say Rafters is a better choice for food. You could actually be eating a plastic pastry on their deck and still enjoy it with that view!
R Haus is a nice view too for food (Rogue River Hwy.) Similar to Rafters in price and view but without the 7th Street Bridge to muck it up.
To be honest a lot of the guided trips are a rip off. You can rent a raft and have them drop it in the water for you and they will leave a Cell phone for you to call when you reach your destination. They come pick it up and load it. You really dont need a guide unless you go through the very difficult portions of the river.
Kim it sounds like you know more about this area than I do!! LOL
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 07:49 AM

I doubt that! Tourists just have the time to explore fun things. Have you dined at that New Sammy Cowboy's Bistro? It's in Talent, only about five minutes away but is becoming quite a "hot-spot" for theatre-goers.

I would love to hear some reviews. We dined at Chateaulin, so missed it last trip. ***kim***
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 08:20 AM

Check out http://www.morrisonslodge.com/ as it has a beautiful setting near Galice right on the Rogue near the area where the "wild" part of the river begins. They also have terrific outfitters with whom we did a trip down the wild and scenic part of the river. It lasts 3 or 4 days, and at night you stay in lodges along the river, some of which are only accessible by boat! It was wonderful! The food was incredible, the guides very knowledgeable--some of them had lived all their lives there on the river. The lodges, though very nice, are rustic and in keeping with the setting. At one of them, the generator went off at 10 pm so it was "lights out"! We went with two other couples, and we all had an incredible time. You go on the part of the river where jetboats can't go so it's very quiet and pristine. Morrison's takes care of all the necessary permits, and they are very respected as guides having been in the business a long time. Morrison's Lodge is also a very nice place to stay in a lovely setting--we even saw a bear across the river one evening at dinner. Grant's Pass itself is a bit of a drive from Galice and much busier than being out in the country. We've stayed a few times at the Weasku Inn and it's a nice setting outside of town, but I've never seen them serve anything but continental breakfast there (though we were there in off season). New Sammy's Cowboy Bistro in Talent is fabulous--years ago they used to own the Boonville Hotel in the Anderson Valley of N. CA., but it, too, is a bit of a drive from Grant's Pass and Galice.....handy to Ashland, though, if you're also going there. Check out Morrison's Lodge, though, as I can't imagine anybody being disappointed with it! In addition to their lodges along the Rogue trips, I think they also do camping ones if you prefer that.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 09:07 AM

Morrison's Lodge looks lovely! It sounds like the perfect place for the OP. They have been featured in Bon Appetit magazine, so the food must be very good there. I have another place to add to my list of places to eat in that area.

I also e-mailed the yummy recipes to my hubby who is a novice chef. Check those out! ***kim***