Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where should my mother go for a short winter vacation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 08:01 AM
jon

I need some suggestions on where my recently widowed mother could go to escape the Wisconsin winters for 1-2 months. She is a healthy 80 years old and would be traveling with a healthy 70 year old female friend. A large senior group bus tour would probably be a good consideration but I'm also wondering about the merits of a single base location in a condo or apartment which would offer less bag packing and more flexability yet still offer a range of planned social activities for seniors. Obviously, safety is a main concern!
If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears! Thanks in advance.

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 08:21 AM
diann

You could perhaps check into this group dedicated for senior travel. It is called Grand Circle. They seem to travel alot to Spain, Costa Del Sol and stay through the winter months. I do not know anything about how good or bad they are, I only know they exist. It may be something you could check into. Also this other site, Frommers.com speaks about them frequently.

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 08:57 AM
sandy

How about a cruise? No packing and unpacking, no driving, all the meals included. For example, Orient Lines' Crown odyssey leaves from Los angeles on Dec. 2nd for a 50-day cruise to Singapore (www.orientlines.com). If she didn't want to do the whole thing, she could get off in Sydney, Australia (33 days). Radisson Seven Seas Navigator will leave Los Angeles on Dec. 27th for a 61-Day Grand Circle South America cruise, ending up in Ft. Lauderdale. This would be my choice, as the ship is smaller and more is included in the fare, (www.rssc.com). Your mother and her friend would be in good hands with either of these cruise lines, and you wouldn't have to worry about their security! Feel free to email me for more information.

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 10:57 AM
Cindy

Put them on a plane to Sanibel (actually Fort Meyers). It's wonderful.

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 07:05 PM
Matt

If your mother has never seen the open ocean then I would definitely suggest a cruise. Not for the entire two months, but I would try to plan some type of vacation where the cruise would be a part of it. Cruise ships are so large that I doubt motion sickness would be an issue. Being out on the ocean is an awesome experience, especially during sunrise, sunset, and a full moon. However, during a new moon, you would not believe that there could be that many stars in the sky. Dolphins, whales and flying fish are abundant, especially dolphins. Photography tip: if she wants to take pictures of anything like the dolphins, a large zoom lens will be necessary. Compact cameras are just too small.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 07:29 AM
travellyn

A lot of people from the midwestern USA and Canada go to the Rio Grande Valley of Texas every winter. Growing up in Brownsville, my brother and I were used to the influx of snowbirds, or Winter Texans, as the Chamber of Commerce called them.

There are a lot of activities geared for seniors, and various churches see their numbers swell each winter. My parents have a condo at South Padre Island that's rented for a few months straight from November till March each year. There are plenty of available condos, as well as RV parks for snowbirds.

I'll probably end up doing the same thing every winter starting about 20 years from now.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 07:33 AM
MC

Jon: What's her budget?

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 04:54 PM
jon

She really is not on a budget but she is on the conservative side. I can tell you that she doesn't want to leave the country. Just wants to get away for 1-2 months. Does anyone know of a reputable travel agency or tour company that specializes in senior travel or winter housing for seniors?

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 05:01 PM
Karen

What about Palm Springs area? There are oodles of condos. Then maybe they could take a couple different bus tours, for a week at a time to see some other scenerey - San Diego, LA, or Gr Canyon, Sedona etc. Sorry I don't know of any specifics

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 05:31 PM
xxx

How about Las Vegas? Plenty to keep them occupied and busy. If she doesn't want to go outside of the states lets face it you are limiting the destinations. There are only so many places within the U.S. Most have been mentioned. Arizona, Calif. Florida, and Texas.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 07:23 PM
jo

Have your mother try VRBO.com -vacation rentals by owners, Fl. and elsewhere. Also Vanderbilt country club near Naples, Fl rents monthly.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 11:00 PM
kkj

Why don't you have her join the other Wisconsin seniors who escape to Arizona. She can do a short term rental in a senior complex and have tons of social activities including sightseeing trips around the state.

Book soon, as the better places fill up quickly.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 01:27 AM
Stephanie P.

Jon:

I'd say anywhere in South Florida. I don't know if a travel agency could help you. Call some local well-known real estate names in your area like Prudential and ask if they have properties for rent in Florida during the time you want. You can also search the Internet for Chamber of Commerce in each Florida city she may want to visit and you may want to contact these sites and ask about transportation around the area. I can only speak for the Ft. Lauderdale area, they do have some public bus service that at least is available on A1A.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 05:06 AM
Arizona

Jon, try reading the post under Sun City. Seems many Seniors rent Apt. for the winter months in that location of Arizona. Others on that site are speaking about it also.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 05:10 AM
xyz

I can think of NOTHING more depressing than 1-2 months in Las Vegas, xxx! They shoot horses don't they? Or, give me life or give me death but don't give me Las Vegas.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 05:18 AM
xxx

My Mother who resides in San Diego use to rent an apt. there for 3 months at a time. In her 70's at the time. She stopped cause she fell and couldn't be by herself any more. She thought it was great. She is not muc of a gambler. Cheap eats, never bored,would go downtown play bingo, meet other people, and always plenty to do. I guess you either like it or hate it there.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 09:52 AM
Faina

Elderhostel caters to seniours only. They have special learning programs in different parts of the country and abroad.