Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where should I take the kids (ages 5 & 12) on vacation for 5 days?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Todd

I'm trying to plan a 5 day vacation with my kids (ages 5 & 12) during Dec 26th to Dec 31st. We live in Birmingham AL and have done the Orlando 'thing' several times. Where else would you suggest going? It's difficult to entertain a 5 yr old AND a 12 yr old due to the age differential. Any suggestions?

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 07:44 AM
xxx

Take them on a cruise so they can play in the kids clubs with friends their own age.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 07:47 AM
yyy

Cindy would be more than happy to take them to the lake

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 07:55 AM
Ryan

How about San Antonio, Phoenix or San Diego?

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 08:37 AM
Ted

Try Myrtle Beach, Charleston, or Hilton Head SC.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 11:10 AM
Mom

I would try to find a last minute deal to the caribbean (Punta Cana or Riviera Maya). My kids LOVED vacations at the all inclusives there, even more than Disney, so many activities, or a resort in Florida (like some of those in Sanibel with kids programs). The programs would be great for the 5 year old, and there will be lots of other 12 year olds for your older child.

PS. Just don't tell Cindy, she'll accuse you of neglecting your children!

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 07:34 PM
RUWORRIED

I have a 4yr old & have wondered about the kid's clubs at resorts & cruises. Do you worry about your kids?? Are these areas well enough staffed so that you feel secure?? I'm not trying to pass any judgements, just wondering because I have not traveled to some places because of my daughter's age

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 10:10 AM
Mom

Well I checked out the clubs first! No, I was not worried, especially on the cruises (Disney and Royal Caribbean). They are run very professionally and the kids love them, they even give parents beepers in case they need to contact you. Most of the kids had to be dragged out of those clubs kicking and screaming they were having so much fun. Cruises traditionally have phenomonal kids programs.

With resorts, some programs are better than others. It would be a good idea to ask here about a specific resort you're considering. Some are nothing more than playrooms with one bored staffer. Those are the ones you want to avoid. Look for a trained staff, full activity schedule and nice facilities.

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 01:00 PM
jimbo

San Diego! Rent a car and do Legoland up in Carlsbad (maybe make your homebase the Tamarack Beach Resort nearby), Sea World, The Wild Animal Park and Knotts Berry Farm.

All the parks are festive over the holidays, the 12 year old will enjoy Legoland- though one time will be enough for him. The five year old will have a ball. At Knotts, there is a special play area that 5 year olds just love (go early while the animals are feisty) - and Knotts also features thrill rides for a 12 year old.

You might even want to fly IN to San Diego and OUT of Los Angeles, making your way north and finishing up at Universal Studios Tour - again fun stuff for both ages.