kid friendly beach towns in southeast?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Husband and I are taking 4 yr old and 2 yr old to beach in July. We need a place with lots of kid activities as they tire of the beach after a couple of hours a day. We usually rent a house on the beach and stay for a week. We did outer banks ly and not a lot of kid actiivites going on. Any suggestions would be welcomed-we were thinking St George Island but not sure of the kid factor thing, or Amelia island but open to anywhere that is around a 5 hour car ride from Atlanta. (for those of you with kids, you understand that last comment...) thanks!
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 06:53 AM

Panama City Beach area
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 12:04 PM

We recommend North Myrtle Beach, SC. There are lots of condos for rent and family fun nearby.
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 12:23 PM

My absolute FAVORITE beach vacation, with kids, close to Atlanta - Wild Dunes Resort on the Isle of Palms, South Carolina. We went every year for a week since kids were very small. What I love about this place is that it is MUCH quieter than a Destin-type beach but still, so close to Charleston that you really feel like you've got two different vacations going on. Things we like:

Private beach - very toddler friendly, not crowded, lots of seashells, great for sand castles, often calm waters, but some waves for the adults at different times of the time.

Activities at the Resort - pools (including small pools outside each condo/townhouse section where we would rent - so you don't have to trek to the big pool), tennis, golf, bike riding - MANY kids seem to learn to ride here - your 4 year old would love it, children's activities - must admit, the only thing we used was their babysitting service for the 1 night in Charleston for an Adult Dinner.

Nearby - several Forts (including Fort Sumter), an air craft carrier at Patriots Point (We did this every single year we went - it was like a giant playground for the kids to run around in and NOT be in the sun!), plantations and other historical outdoor gardens, etc. - again great because the kids can run around. There may be water slides, amusement parks but we never did that - and didn't like the area at Destin that had all that.

Charleston - Hopefully you know how great Charleston would be for adults but things my kids liked: the horse drawn carriage ride (even the 2 year old), the aquarium, the downtown market that sells trinkets, etc., the park out on the battery. We ALWAYS spent a day in Charleston.

Restaurants - We would eat breakfast & lunch in (there is a supermarket on the way there so we'd stop and stock up before pulling up to the gate). But we would go out, every night - EARLY - so the kids didn't have to wait and so we could get them back to bed. The One Eyed Parrot is on the beach and they have small fish tanks for the kids to look at. If they get bored they can run around pretty easily. The restaurant at the Yacht Club - a 3 minute drive from the Resort so we usually did this our first night. Wild Dunes would also usually put on a dinner like a shrimp boil and we would do that one night as well. Finally - my favorite - The Wreck - fried shrimp & fish served on paper plates with hushpuppies, cole slaw & red rice. Add a bottle of beer and the BEST banana pudding I've ever had and you have heaven. We often did this one 2 nights in the week! (Be aware - hard to find, no sign, cash only - ask a local).

We did Amelia Island and found it not to our liking. Also did Hilton Head, Destin, and Seaside/Watercolor - Isle of Palms, specifically Wild Dunes was really perfect for our family.
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 04:36 PM

I agree with North Myrtle Beach. Lots of miniature golf, water slides, etc.
But yanno, we took our kids to the beach through all those years, and we managed to stay on the beach or in the house playing stuff with little need for outside time. And not a lot of TV. They need naps, books, etc. Our grands seem to do the same. Depends on how you set it up.
BUT there is all you need in the Surfside, Garden City and then on up to NMB.
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 12:00 PM

Panama City Beach or Destin. The water is crystal clear and the sand is snow white. Also the gulf is calmer than the Atlantic with smaller waves which might be good for small children. Lots of activities, especially in PCB. Gulfarium, Gulf World, Shipwreck Island water park, etc.
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 02:56 PM

North Myrtle Beach, Amelia Island, Hilton Head, Isle of Palms/Wild Dunes, and Panama City would be your best bets. St. George's Island is too quiet, not much to do except the beach.