Where should I go on the west coast

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 10:34 AM
a trip to somewhere

Where should I go on the west coast

Hi, I won airline tickets from a raffle and want to go somewhere on the west coast, but I don't know where. I'm from the east coast, so I want to get as much distance as possible on the tickets. No Alaska or Hawaii, and have one year to take trip.

I would prefer to stay someplace where I will not need to rent a car (at least not for the whole trip) and where the hotel rates don't go over $150 per night. Chain hotels are fine (Hampton, La Quinta, etc.). And what time of year should I go. I can take vacations at any time because I don't have kids.

The only places I can think of that meet my requirements are Las Vegas (I been there already) and San Francisco (I haven't been there).

Any suggestions for other places or should I investigate Las Vegas or San Fransico.

Thanks for your help!!!

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 10:43 AM
lisa

San Francisco is fantastic and since you haven't been there, I think that's a great idea. You definitely don't need a car there. It is expensive but you should be able to find something under $150 per night, especially since it sounds like you are flexible on your dates of travel so you can go at off-peak times. Spring or fall would probably be best. Depending on how much time you have, you could rent a car for part of the time and expand your trip to include other nearby areas within driving distance -- Napa/Sonoma wine country, Yosemite, the Big Sur coast, etc. You have lots of options.

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 10:46 AM
kam

San Francisco in late September/ early October. There are lots of reasonably priced hotels if you look over on Lombard Street. Or you could go to Seattle and ferry around in Puget Sound--to Victoria, the Orcas, etc. Weather is a bit more iffy in Seattle, but I would go for September there as well. If you want a more southern California destination, San Diego can be done without a car if you're careful to stay at a central hotel. Lucky you!

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 11:39 AM
Christina

I think San Francisco is the best idea, also. However, if you really want to get the most value out of your tickets, it isn't necessarily a matter of distance as closer airports may cost more if there is not as much demand. That is one reason I would absolutely not use such a prize to go to Vegas--you can get dirt cheap air/hotel packages to Vegas easily at many times of the year. You can also get good RT air fares to LA and San Francisco usually, right now there are deals for only about $200 RT from east coast (according to my Yahoo fare alert). It would cost a lot more to go to Fargo ND or Dubuque IA by air than San Francisco, I'll bet (not that I'm suggesting you go there). Wanting to go someplace you won't need a car is the biggest problem, I think, as that really limits you to very large cities (or Vegas, as you said, where you don't go much anywhere). So, if I were you, I might think about where I really want to go rather than the farthest spot, as that doesn't make that much difference now adays in air fares. Also, to really maximize the value, if they will let you, you could use them during a holiday period when fares are very high. If you really want west coast, though, I'd definitely pick San Francisco.

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 11:41 AM
Michele

San Francisco is my recommendation! You don't need a car (unless you go to Napa Valley or stretch your trip to include Yosemite), and there is LOTS to do and see! Hotels in the city can be somewhat expensive, but, as mentioned above, those around Lombard Street are reasonable. Even if the hotel is slightly outside the city, San Fran has such good public transportation that it is easy enough to get wherever you need to go. Any months except the winter months would be fine. San Fran is always cool - even in the dead of summer - so it makes for a good climate to walk around. (up and down all those hills!) A GREAT city!

Have fun wherever you decide to go!

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 11:48 AM
raffle winner

Michele you sold me on San Fransisco with cool summers!!! I live in the southeast and summers are miserable (temps over 90 with humidity to match).

Christina, I've never had a desire to go to Fargo, but I understand you bit about best value vs. most distance. Maybe I should think about Yellowstone, Glacier, and Bad Lands National Parks.

Thanks for your suggestions. I have always dreamed one day I'll go to ... and now that time has arrived, it's hard to pick one place.

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 05:04 PM
Justin Case

raffle dude or dudette:

Forget the cities and go to one of the national parks like you mentioned (although Yosemite by way of San Fran. sounds good!)

I know you wish to avoid a week of car rental, but I recommend early-to-mid-June or Mid-September to visit Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks. The crowds are thin, the air is thin. For one thing, airfare isn't aways affordable to Jackson Hole airport, but flying in to the airport at the base of the Grand Tetons is awe-inspiring and amazing! Rates to stay at a lodge in one of the parks is at off-season rates, and you will get your walking by way of gorgeous hikes and beautiful vistas.

If you like to shop, stay at the touristy town of Jackson. Wonderful restaurants. (Harrison Ford is part owner of the Snake River Grille --yum!)(The food, not Mr. Ford.) Lodging.

Or stay at a lower cost national park lodge, and dine at one of the more expensive ones.

I was reading some of the other threads about Hawaii being the most beautiful, awe-inspiring place to some people, but snow capped mountains, the earths molten geographical crust, forests, herds of bison, double rainbows of NW Wyoming does it for this midwesterner used ot humid summers and boring flatlands.

Believe me, if you want a beautiful getaway, this may be it. It's not for everyone -- gawd, especially not in tourist summer -- but research a little and see if it is for you.

BEST!!

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 05:10 PM
Marlena

We recently stayed at the Commodore in San Francisco for under $150 a night and LOVED it there.
www.placestostay.com/SF-Commodore/

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 02:39 PM
Christina

Actually, I like Justin's idea -- I was going to recommend Idaho, Montana or Jackson Hole myself as I know it costs a lot more to go there than some big city, but didn't because it seemed like you really didn't want to rent a car very much. I wasn't sure if that was due to money or just not liking to drive or dealing with a car. Don't dismiss Fargo so lightly, not to mention Bismarck (just kidding).

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 01:05 PM
raffle winner

Thanks for the suggestions. I am a "raffle dudette" who is house poor. Husband and I purchased a home last year and spend most time/money on it. NO budget for a trip, but a $5 charitble contribution and wow -- plane tickets! We were thinking no car, for no car expense. BUT, with a rental car and a cheaper hotel in a cheaper location (that's why Las Vegas made the fist cut) maybe Yellowstone/Grand Tetons would be a good place to go.

Friends went to Mt. Rushmore/Badlands/Custer Park recently and loved it. Other friends highly recommend Yosemite.

You never realize how hard it is to pick just one place to go see! Well, if this is the worst problem I have today, I'm a lucky person.