Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where is the nicest place to eat in Waikiki in January?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to Wakiki in January for three days for business with a group of people I really don't want to hang out with after hours, so does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can make a reservation for a single lady for a really nice meal with a great view that isn't packed with just couples? Never been to Hawaii before and this is not really the way I want to visit, but I hope to make the best of a bad situation.

Also staying at the Hawaiian Hilton Village, are there any buildings better than others?
Old Nov 11th, 2011, 03:12 AM

Haven't been there for years, but John Domenis (sp) - is on the harbor - looking back at Waikiki, with a great view of the lights at night. And if you want an authentic Japanese Teahouse, if it's also still in fine fettle, there is one up on the hillside overlooking Honolulu that is pretty spectacular. One of our hosts, who was of Japanese descent, said that is where the Japanese spies watched the bombing of Pearl Harbor, but who is to say if he was joking or not?
Old Nov 11th, 2011, 03:14 AM

Ah - here it is: Natsunoya - a short cab ride from Honolulu. http://natsunoya.com/
Old Nov 11th, 2011, 03:23 AM

Oops. Guess John Domeni's closed down, but there are any number of restaurants with ocean views along the main drag of Kalakaua ave - including Orchids, Hoku, Michels at the Colony Surf, Hau Tree, the old, fun Duke's, or at the beautiful hotels, including the venerable Royal Hawaiian (worth a walk through just for the classic beauty) or the newer Hakelani (please excuse any spelling errors).
Old Nov 11th, 2011, 07:03 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I vacation in Waikiki solo (by choice). And the nicer restaurants are going to be "filled with couples", that's just a fact. That said, I really love the set up at the Hau Tree Lanai restaurant down at New Otani hotel (quiet end of the beach near Kapiolani park). I had a nice meal solo at Ocean House at the Outrigger Reef hotel with incredible sunset views, but have heard mixed reviews lately on their food quality.

You can't beat the atmosphere at Moana Surfrider or the Royal Hawaiian, the two historic hotels.

Duke's is very popular, if you want something more lively, and the Barefoot Bar on the beach outside is a nice more casual option. I've had drinks at sunset there alone and felt very comfortable. It's a mixed crowd with people coming in off the beach, others dressed up for dinner. There's often live hawaiian music/vocals. Either eat on the patio or get a seat along the railing.

For upscale the restaurants at Halekulani, as mentioned, as a good suggestion.

Hy's Steakhouse, no view and pretty 'old school. but fun and great food.

Honestly solo I'm more comfortable in the slightly more casual places. I really like Arancino's on BeachWalk (reasonably convenient to HHV) an upscale Italian cafe wiith great food and atmosphere.
Old Nov 11th, 2011, 10:34 AM

The Hau Tree Lanai at the New Otani Hotel is a casual, open air, oceanfront restaurant that you might enjoy for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It is on the Diamond Head end of Waikiki and across from Kapiolani Park. My only caution is for a single gal not to walk alone in the area after dark, as the area is tree-lined and not well lit. You can take a short taxi-ride back to your hotel at the other end of Waikiki, or to mid-Waikiki then walk back.

The Moana Hotel is Waikiki's oldest, and quite charming. You can dine outdoors there as well.

The Mariposa Restaurant at Neiman Marcus at the Ala Moana Shopping Center has some nice views, again any time of day until it gets dark. The food is good, and it's an easy walk or short taxi ride from your hotel. On Friday nights you can see the fireworks from the Hilton Hawaiian Village, where you'll be staying (ask to sit on the lanai for perhaps a better view than you'd get at the hotel).
Old Nov 11th, 2011, 01:52 PM

The "best" restaurant in Waikiki is La Mer in the Halekulani. It's chef, Yves Garnier, is the only chef in Hawaii to ever earn a Michelin star. The restuarant is a little "stuffy" for my tastes, though (one of the few in the state that has a dress code and doesn't allow young children).

Orchids, also in the Halekulani, is a little more casual and while it has a dress code (no slippers), it's not as strict and men don't need a jacket. It has a nice view.

Or, try Azure at the Royal Hawaiian. The chef, Jon Matsubara, is formerly from "Stage" restaurant, and is one of the up-and-coming chefs.

My wife sometimes has brunch or tea on the Veranda at the Moana, but I don't know whether there is any service during dinner hours.

As for the Hilton, I've only stayed in the Rainbow tower, which was in need of renovation at the time, but I think they've recently renovated. We had a corner room that had two balconies, one facing diamond head and one facing straight out to the ocean. I can't imagine a better view. However, I've heard the Alii tower is the nicest, although I've never been fortunate enough to stay there myself.

One last thought - I wouldn't worry about a restaurant being packed with couples or not. There are many business travelers who dine alone. I've done it many times. Just enoy your trip.
Old Nov 11th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much. Will check them out. As for nice, I meant good food, not necessarily stuffy. And thanks for the hints about walking after dark.
Old Nov 12th, 2011, 06:41 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It's OK to walk after dark in the main areas. I always do. There are always loads of people out and about. It's that New Otani is a bit isolated down on the other side of Kapiolani Park, so not as well traveled or well lit coming from that direction.

Another tip for comfortable solo dining is to make your reservation for a bit earlier in the dinner hour when restaurants are less crowded.