Waikiki

Feb 16th, 2003, 11:40 PM
Original Poster

Waikiki

First timers to Hawaii, wondering if anyone can give us some information of Waikiki, our plans are to be in Waikiki Mar. 12-20th/03 Has anyone stayed at the Waikiki Beachcomber Hotel, if so is it close to the beach and is it nice and fairly easy to get to different restaurants. Wondering if anyone can recommend restaurants/bars fronting the beach that are outdoors. Will March be cool? Is Waikiki dressy? Laua's which ones are outstanding in your mind that you have been to, and would frequent again. Any ideas on tours and day trips would be very much appreciated.
Thanking you all inadvance for any information you can pass along..We are really looking forward to this trip, as it is our first.
Feb 17th, 2003, 12:32 AM

Have a great time! Waikiki is the best, I love it, even though I'm from sleepy Kauai! the best bar (almost the only one) on the beach is Duke's. It has a wonderful view of Diamond Head, so make sure you have your mai tai in hand. On Sat. and sun from about 4-6 they have contemporary Hawaiian music, from some of the best artists we have, it gets crowded, and is so worth it. The dinners can be pricey, but the pupu (appetizer) menus are yummy and cheaper. fun place. The Beachcomber is easy access to everything, most hotels in Waikiki are. It's easy to walk from one end to the other, and they just redid a lot of it so it's all beautified. Not on the beach but close and good food is Auntie Pasto's, there are 2 and both are Honolulu classics. You can take taxis.
Feb 17th, 2003, 05:13 AM

Duke's Canone Club at the Waikiki Outrigger is the best beach bar, and perhaps the only one. They serve breakfast, lunch and dinner, and usually have live music in the evening.

Another restaurant that I highly recommend is the Top of Waikiki or something like that. It's in the top floor of a tall building in the heart of Waikiki. It's a revloving restaurant, and the views at sunset were stunning.

Everything is casual. I wore a sundress a couple of evenings, but shorts are fine. Not sure about weather in March, but take a light sweater for evenings.

There is so much to do on Oahu! Some of my favorites were hiking to the top of Diamond Head, touring the Arizona Memorial, Bowfin, and U.S.S. Missouri, Pali Lookout, drive out to the north shore (a great change from Honolulu and Waikiki), an eco-hiking tour through the rainforest, snorkling in Hanauma Bay.

Have a great trip!
Tammy
Feb 17th, 2003, 05:26 AM

Average high in March is around 80 degrees. Been there at that time. Weather was wonderful - warm days, sometimes a little cool in the evenings on the water. Forementioned evening sweater not a bad thing to bring. Plenty warm enough for swimming during the day.

Ken
Feb 17th, 2003, 10:58 AM

You can also enjoy sunset cocktails under the banyan tree at the Sheraton Moana Surfrider (my fave drink, which I made for a party, was the Moana Sands). The Sheraton hotels are all on the beach and offer free live local entertainment during sunset. Another place my tourist friends like is the Shorebird Beach Broiler, which is a place where you grill your own food. It is not bad!

For lunch you can go to Neiman Marcus at Ala Moana and grab a table outside at Mariposa Restaurant.....or eat at Tiki's Bar & Grill in the Aston (forgot which one but it is across the street from the Waikiki Beach Marriott).
Feb 17th, 2003, 12:50 PM

Congratulations on your first trip to HI. In Waikiki you will see many people who are dressed very casually and some who are dressed up--if you want to be dressy you will certainly fit in.

The Banyan at the Moana is a really beautiful spot for drinks and is right on the beach as Melissa said. A moderately priced restaurant called the Sunset Terrace is upstairs from Duke's, and has a balcony overlooking the beach, which is another nice spot to watch the sunset.

Also as Melissa mentioned the Shore Bird is open air and looks out on the beach; they have a really good well-priced buffet breakfast with a vast array of food. (the grill-your-own dishes are at dinner.) Shore Bird is in the Outrigger Reef next to Ft. deRussy park. Pick up some of the tourist magazines for coupons to save a few dollars.

Some things to do, in additiion to those mentioned already: watch bodysurfers at Sandy Beach; see the Byodo-In temple; swim or boogie board at Waimanalo; drive up Tantalus for a spectacular view of Honolulu, especially at night, when you will see the sparkling city lights against the limitless ocean. To learn about HI's history, you can go to the Bishop Museum and to I'olani Palace, where Queen Lili'uokalani lived when U.S. commercial interests overthrew the Hawai'ian monarchy.

You might want to pick up "Driving and Discovering O'ahu" by Richard Sullivan for very specific directions to numerous sites. It makes a good souvenir too as it has many gorgeous photos.

Have a wonderful trip!
Feb 17th, 2003, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the time taken to reply to my message. Believe me I will drink to you all while sipping on a cool beverage at sunset!
Can anyone recommend a good jewelery store that sells Gold jewelery,within walking distance of the Beachcomber hotel. Hawaiian bracelet or ring with name engraved in Hawaiian..Thanks again.

Search this Thread