Where is a good place to stay around Monterey, Ca. Looking for bargains

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know a place around Monterey, Ca where one might find a bargain to stay in a nice place?
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 09:40 PM

Is there a price range that you consider a bargain? and what should you get for your bargain price? Need more info in other words.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 03:12 AM

We stayed in the motel 6 there and it's only a short drive to Carmel or the Wharf. Dont forget to try their fabulous clam chowder.Paul
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 06:54 AM

Search hotels on Expedia.com in the cities of Monterey and Seaside and you will find lower priced hotels listed.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 08:44 AM

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Monterey four years ago. It was a great location...could walk to the aquarium and Cannery Row, they didn't charge for parking, and we got their free breakfast. It wasn't "cheap" but I felt it was a good value because of the above benefits and a chance to add some points to my Priority Rewards account.
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 12:39 PM

i go there a lot and have found if i am not there at a peak time and not on a weekend hotels offer pretty good deals at the last minute--i frequently stay in some of the pacific grove hotels near the pacific grove public golf course
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 02:27 PM

Ok so he didn't come back so I'll just give my opinion of a bargain.

I think ocean front in a decent hotel for around $100 per night (AAA) is a bargain.

http://www.bestwesterncalifornia.com...sort-monterey/
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 06:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I think the Monterey Beach hotel above, although a bargain, is actually closer to Seaside.

Having stayed in most hotels in Monterey from the awful to the sublime, best hotel at bargain basement price recently has been the Surf Inn on Munras, close to the shopping mall, but still walkable to Fisherman's Wharf. Why? $99/night; good size room; clean; free wifi in room; microwave, fridge; nicely appointed; flat screen tv; free parking (huge plus!); pool (didn't use); really good serve yourself breakfast. Since the place is managed by a nice family originally from India, at least going into reception/breakfast area, you should not be allergic to incense or the sweet smell of Indian curry. I personally love those smells, but some may not.
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all your info very helpful I'm looking to keep my
stay under 200.00 a night, I was looking at Marina, ca which
does not look far from monterey but was wondering if it is a safe area to stay as far as crime? But thanks again The Holiday Inn express sounds interesting too.
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 08:01 PM

Some neighborhoods in Marina have a high crime rate, but the motels are generally in safe areas.
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Would Seaside be a safer place to stay?
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 07:55 PM

Check out www.pacificgrove.org. It is the web site for the town of Pacific Grove on the Monterey Peninsula. Most of the coast on the peninsula is actually located in Pacific Grove. Everything is close here. They have great B and B's and great small hotels. The ASILOMAR is actually across from the Pacific Ocean, owned by California and historic. You will be a short drive to anyplace if you stay in Pacific Grove.
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 10:31 PM

Go to Hotwire.com or bid on Priceline an you will most likely be able to knock quite a few dollars off any rack rate. Read www.biddingfortravel.com or www.betterbidding.com the see results and study up on these systems.

Betterbidding has a quick search box near top of page so you can quickly see winning bids and hotwire purchase prices.

The Portola spa was having a summer special. You'll have to dig around the website a bit to find it.

My son got the Portola for $80 bidding on Priceline in July. Good luck.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 03:16 AM

With your hotel budget, I would recommend sticking to Monterey & Pacific Grove and using the tips above. Saving a few bucks to stay in Seaside or Marina wouldn't be the choice I'd make.

Priceline is a good idea, especially the way the area is structured for rebidding 4-star hotels. Along with post above, I also recommend betterbidding.com if you haven't done rebids before.