Search

Carmel or Monterey

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 04:38 AM
tammy

Carmel or Monterey

Would like to spend a weekend in this area next spring. Is there really much difference between the two towns? Does on have a better choice of where to stay and dining options?

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 06:01 AM
Kaye

Tammy,
My husband and I spent a few days in each town and we loved them both. Carmel is more quaint and Monterey was a bit more touristy. We stayed at the Best Western in Monterey which was decent and the Tickle Pink Inn in Carmel which we really liked. The Inn sat on a Bluff. Hoped this helped a little bit.

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 07:03 AM
shannon

Monterey is more spread out than Carmel. Although we always stay in Monterey, if I had the choice, I'd stay in Carmel (our yearly conference leaves us no choice). Since they are 10 minutes from each other, it doesn't really matter where you stay. Both areas have lots of dining options. The reason I'd stay in Carmel if I could is because, to me, it is more charming, and a walkable town, plus, you will have a place to park if you stay there. Going into Carmel and looking for a parking place can be a bit of a drag. When you find a place, you get 90 minutes to park there, and the parking people are REALLY serious about that!

Both places have a ton of options on where to stay. You probably have your more cozy options in Carmel. By contrast, in Monterey you have a choice of large hotels (i.e. Marriott, Doubletree), historic hotels, and lots of motels. In nearby Pacific Grove, you have some great little B&B's in Victorian styled homes.

Carmel is a great walking and shopping town, but other than the mission (which you should go to -- good parking there!), there's not a lot to do. However, it's a good place to relax and enjoy the beauty.

I find more to do in Monterey. I love hanging out at the wharf, going to the aquarium, strolling down cannery row, paddling boats in Dennis the Menace park (in good weather, of course), taking in a movie at the Del Monte shopping center, and walking along the beach.

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 07:17 AM
tammy

Kaye, you stated that you really liked the Tickle Pink Inn. Did you like it's location outside of town, or do you think it would be better to stay in town? How far of a drive is it into town?

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 08:00 AM
Kaye

Tammy, it's been about six years since we've been to the area (we live in Michigan), but we are guessing that the drive is about 5-10 minutes. We liked the fact that the Inn was off the beaten path. The internet said the Inn is about 4 miles south of Carmel-by-the-Sea. It is also rated AAA 4-Star. If we ever get the chance to go back, we would stay there again. Go to the site below and see what you think.
abouthttp://www.ticklepinkinn.com/home.htm

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 04:32 PM
Bob

I live in Pacific Grove and am typing this from the Monterey Peninsula.

Check out www.pacificgrove.org. Great town to stay in and close to Monterey and Carmel...about 10 minutes to either town. PG has more coast line than either town and great B and Bs with Monterey Bay views.

FANDANGOS in PG is great place to eat and BAHAMA BILLYS in the BARNYARD SHOPPING CENTER is another new place gaining business daily.

Any other questions, email me direct and I will try to answer what I know about.

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 06:50 PM
L

I agree with Bob above

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 02:34 PM
Nancy

Dear Tammy:

Carmel and Monterery are both beauitful, however I would suggest giving serious consideraiton to going north of San Francisco to the Sea Ranch area. I think it is actually more beautiful than the Carmel area. You can stop at Redwoods National Park just across the Golden Gate bridge (which is an absolute joy to drive across!) and then continue up the coast. Another plus: it is much less crowded than Carmel/Monterey.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 02:35 PM
Duke

"Golden Gate bridge (which is an absolute joy to drive across!)" From the poster above. I hope you hit the bridge at the right time! In the morning and in the evening it is not a "joy". Plus, "it is much less crowded than Carmel/Monterey." Simply not true.