Where: Internet Access in NYC?

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 12:59 AM
Elya

Where: Internet Access in NYC?

Where should I be looking for an Internet access service, on my Manhattan visit next month?

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 03:38 AM
Owen O'Neill

If you only want to check email a few times and not spend time web browsing there are two options in midtown that will be the least expensive. First is the gian Internet cafe on W 42nd between 7th and 8th. It is huge, has bright flourescent lighting and is a bit daunting in size (literally hundreds of machines) but is reasoanbly priced (there are countless small independent coffeehouses and such places with 'net access that get $10-12 per hour). Next place... believe it or not, is a McDonalds on W 42nd between 8th and 9th. They have really cheap access - you might have to buy something but there's always bottled water (can't think of anything else on their menue that I can tolerate). many hotels also offer it if they have a "business center" but beware of pricing. If the 42nd St srea is too far from your hotel, indicate where you're staying and I'll offer other suggestions.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 05:12 AM
Paul

What, no libraries around?

*curious*

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 05:20 AM
Owen O'Neill

It may be different in NYC but where I live in nearby North Jersey you need a local library card to access the Internet. Depending on time of day you may also have a lengthy wait to get access to a terminal. If on vacation and just doing a quick email check it may be worth spending a few $$ to do it at a fee based location.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 05:29 AM
thereuare

The giant internet cafe mentioned above is called "Easy Everything" which i discovered on a trip to London a few years ago (before the NYC location). I think they both work the same way....

You buy a dollar value on a "card" and the amount of minutes you get per $1 depends upon how busy they are. At busy times it may be 10 minutes per $1, at slow times it may be 300 minutes per $1 (which really is a great business model). They also had a "button" on the computer in which you could order coffee and have it brought to you!

Another (perhaps more convenient but probably more expensive) option is any of the various Kinko's copy centers that are all over NYC. They offer intenet access on a per minute basis, with i think 15 minute minimum.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 06:01 AM
michelle

On Broadway in Soho there is a huge cyber cafe on the corner, I am afraid I never notice the name, but someone on here might remember.
Did you try search using"NY cyber cafes"?

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 06:10 AM
Ted

Just about every KINKO'S offers internet access for a reasonable fee (as long as you don't print, which is very expensive). There are Kinko's all over Manhattan. There's also a nice private internet store on the north side of East 57th Street near Third Avenue (convenient to many midtown hotels). It's not large but it's never crowded.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 08:01 AM
NY

Paul and others who are interested:
NY Public libraries offer free internet access (no local library card needed) but due to budget restraints, the hours of the library system have been severely curtailed and the number of internet terminals very limited. In most libraries, you have to sign up early in the day to get an appointment to use one of the terminals , unless the specific library has on or two 'express terminals' , first come first serve, for 10 minutes at a shot. If you happen to pass a public library on your walks, definitely stop in, but don't count on having access when you need it!

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 08:43 AM
Elizabeth

There is a little Internet cafe on University Place at about 13th or 12th Street, on the east side of the street.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 09:11 AM
Owen O'Neill

There's alsooe that I reallly like - it's called "The Internet Cafe" and is on E 2nd Street just east of 2nd Ave. It's a half-basement place - brick walls, subdued lighting, good coffee and dessert/pastries and they used to have excellent live jazz 3 o4 nights per week. Last time I checked the live music was on hiatus until they could get permit issues worked out but when the music is going it's a great place just to hang out.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 09:18 AM
Elizabeth

As a New Yorker--I really apreciate this thread--it's got information in it I can use.

My computer is in my office (I am self-employed, I hasten to add, so this activity is on my time!), and the building is closed after &:30 pm Saturday until Sunday morning.

During the 9/11 early emergency stages my building was in a frozen zone, so that was the first time (except in Europe) I wanted an Internet cafe. I found one, and it's great to know about other ones. Esp 2nd St/2nd Ave. thanks.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 04:50 PM
Teresa

Elya,
I wish I could remember the exact place, but one of the tourist information centers in Times Square has free Internet access. We stayed at the Doubletree in Times Square and it was about a block south of there. It was great--we checked our email there every day.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 07:47 PM
Patrick

While spending a month in Manhattan last May, I popped into a couple of library braches but always found a line waiting for internet usage with no time estimate available. I did Kinko's a couple of times at about $15 per hour, then found that great internet place on 42nd street between 7th and 8th. It was wonderful. First of all they have the quickest speed computers I've ever encountered. And I usually paid something like $5.00 per hour. They are great!!!

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 02:16 PM
Statia

In case it's of any help, I just used internet service at a place on 32nd between Broadway and 5th (can't remember the name). It was not crowded and easily accessible. Also, not expensive in my opinion.

I also used the free access at the Times Square visitor's center at one time. You can even send free photo e-cards from there. Kinda neat for the folks back home.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 02:26 PM
r-travels

Theresa-

The NYC Visitor's info center just N of Times Square, on E side of Broadway, just below 47th has free internet access. But at early afternoon on a Saturday they were all in use.

Now: does anyone know where to find a locker or bag-check? (remove x in my e-ddress to write me)

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 02:34 PM
Owen O'Neill

The luggage lockers that once existed in places such as Grand Central, Penn Station and PA Bus terminal are all gone. If you're at penn Station and have a valid Amtrak ticket for travel within the next 24 hours, you can leave bags for a small fee. My method is to find the nearest decent hotel (I don't try this at the most upscale places although perhaps it could be done there), approach a friendly looking bellman with a small tip visible in hand and ask if I can leave my bag(s) there for a few hours or the evening. Has always worked for me in the past although I have not tried this post 9/11.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 01:16 AM
Elya

Owen O'Neill and the other lot: thanks for your invaluable tips. I will be staying at the Comfort Inn on 129 W. 46th St., if this can help...

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 03:45 AM
Owen O'Neill

From that location the free access mentioned at the Tims Sqyare Visitor Center will be closest, about a block from your hotel. The giant internet cafe on 42nd will be next closest and the access from McDonalds on 42nd will be the next closest.