Search

Where in VT

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2005, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where in VT

Looking to go to VT this weekend and stay in a nice B&B. Key is we can't go skiing, pregnant wife, so we'll need other activities, shoping being one. Any suggestions?
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 06:12 AM
bm

Hi-
Since shopping seems to be high on your activity list, I'd go to Manchester. Lots of outlets. Mom lives nearby so I've never stayed in any of the lodging establishments.
Next on my list would be Woodstock or Stowe.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 03:36 PM

Manchester is one big shopping outlet IMHO! There is some charm beneath the surface, but it's not immediately apparent, at least to me. If activity is important, I might choose Burlington, a vibrant small college city on Lake Champlain. Church Street Marketplace is an extremely fun place to shop, stroll and dine, and it is closed to traffic. In good weather, there are often street preformers. You can dine in a restaurant overlooking the lake,visit the lake-side museum, and, in good weather, walk. Plenty of night-life. Not sure what's available for B&Bs there, though.

If you're looking for that small-town New England feeling, Woodstock is indeed a fine choice. Not as much to do, but some lovely-looking inns, and you can always take the short drive to Hanover or Lebanon, or a bunch of other places. I haven't been to Stowe in forever, so can't comment.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 03:46 PM

The Kedron Valley Inn is wonderful! Great food, excellent breakfasts and very close to down town South Woodstock with great shopping. Also, check out Simon Pearce Glass factory in nearby Quechee, VT. Also a wonderful place to eat but beautiful glass work (check out the "seconds" too) and you can see them blowing glass. There is also a a wonderful factory that makes amazing furniture called Shakelton Furniture. Really lovely furniture. And if you like cheese, there is a buffalo mozzerella (sp??) farm right up the hill from Kedron...called...I forget but they will know at Kedron. If Kedron is full, check out The Grist Mill House a few doors down and much, much smaller but very quaint. I LOVE the area!! Have fun. P.S. If you have a dog, Kedron allows dogs I am pretty sure.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 04:09 PM

Hi -

I'd recommend Manchester, VT as well. Lots to do and the outlet shopping is the best in Vermont, in my opinion. I'm not a shopper myself, but even I can see the appeal. I'd agree with the person who wrote that Manchester's charm is not so visible at first glance, though. However, the little village of Dorset, VT is six miles north of Mancehster on route 30 and has more charm than it knows what to do with - it's one of the prettiest little villages you can find, and it's got a number of really beautiful inns. The Dorset Inn is just one of them - it's more of an inn than a B&B - and it's got a really great restaurant (ask for a reservation in the Tavern). Just make sure that you don't get a room facing route 30 if noise troubles you at night - although it's not exactly New York City, even if you are facing route 30.

Across the street is the Cornucopia Inn, the Dovetail Inn, the Barrows House and the Inn at West View Farm (another great restaurant, fancier than the Dorset Inn). They're all beautiful, but they do fill up fast on president's day weekend. If you do go, make sure that you take a drive north from Dorset on route 30, to the really tiny village of pawlet - you'll go through some of the most beautiful valley farmland around.

Woodstock, VT is absolutely lovely as well, and there's lots to do in that area and plent of great inns and restaurants (don't miss the Prince and the Pauper, right in town). But if you're looking for big-label outlets, the shopping is better in Manchester.

Hope all that helps - I'm a Vermont girl stuck in a big city, and I miss my home state, so I love to give long-winded advice about it
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 04:13 PM

Hi -

It's me again....
I just wanted to add that I got married at the Kedron Valley Inn last year and it is everything that rjsinclair says it is, as is Simon Pearce. The rooms are gorgeous. And yes, they do allow dogs, I'm almost positive.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 07:48 PM

Another vote for Kedron Valley Inn. My parents have been going there for 30 years and they love it! Woodstock is a charming little town. Lots to do.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 06:02 AM

I'd recommend Stowe, VT. It's so cozy, and you don't need to be a ski enthusiast to take advantage of it's rustic charm. Lots of lovely restaurants, and romatic carriage rides that you and your wife can take part in together. I hear it's going to be cold in VT this weekend so bundle up. We stayed at Ten Acres Lodge. I actually have a soft spot for Stowe, it's where we got engaged!
Enjoy!
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 06:00 PM

Check out the Rabbit Hill Inn if you are looking for a really romantic & pampered getaway. Wonderful rooms, amazing food & service, terrific hospitality. There are plenty of activities nearby(shopping too). The innkeepers are always there to help plan your days. We even enjoyed terrific massages in our room.