Where in Hawaii should we go next?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2005, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In December I will be having a milestone birthday and my husband has agreed to a birthday trip. Kauai is my most favorite place in the world. But I really want to go to a new island. We've also been to Oahu. I know it depends on what you like, and my best answer is that I loved everything about Kauai. The restaurants, the people, the greenery, how easy it was to drive around the island, etc. If I decide I want to go back to Hawaii in Dec (the other option is to go elsewhere for my BD and go to Hawaii in Feb)where should we go?
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 09:36 AM

Kauai is my clear favorite hawaii island as well! However, I have now been several times to the other islands and if you want to see something completely different from Kauai, I'd say the Big Island as it was beautiful in its own way. We stayed on the dry side (north of Kona) which is amazingly dry with huge lava fields with our resort (Orchid) plunked down right in the middle like an oasis! We drove up and over the mountain which was a very pretty country type of setting (pastures, cows, etc) to the other side and then down the coast towards the Volcano Nat'l park. It was very interesting to see. The Big Island takes much more time to drive and is definitely not as lush as Kauai (although there are certainly lush areas) so if you are set on something more akin to Kauai, the other "middle of the road" option might be Maui. IMO, Maui seems more touristy than the Big Island maybe because it is smaller and because it has such a huge amount of resorts. However, I really liked Maui as well and we went up into the mountain area for some scenic views which reminded me a bit of Kauai. Maui is also pretty easy to get around and there are a lot more restaurant choices than Kauai but but it is not as laid back.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 10:12 AM

If Kauai is your favorite place in the world, then I suggest you go there for your special day and go somewhere else in Feb. I have been to Kauai, Maui, and the Big Island and Kauai is also my absolute favorite (going back for the 4th time in October). I really didn't care for Maui and won't go back. I've been to the Big Island and liked it a lot because there is so much to do and see - especially the volcano and great snorkeling at Kealakekua Bay, but it does not compare to Kauai in terms of natural beauty, IMHO.

I don't think you will be sorry if you spend your birthday on Kauai!
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 11:04 AM

If at any time you want to try another island, then I think Hawaii would be very interesting for you. It is so totally different from all the others, it's very big so lots to explore, and I find the various micro climates fascinating. I think someone told me there is at least 11 and maybe more. It's an amazing place and even if you never go back again, to see it once is pretty cool. But there's no need to be stressing over this. Why would you not want to be in your most favorite place on your birthday, given the opportunity. I hope you enjoy your trip, where ever you decide, and certainly enjoy your special day.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 01:51 PM

IMHO--return to Kauai for your birthday--but with a slightly different slant. E.G stay somewhere REALLY special, eat somewhere at sunset that you might not yet hafe tried, etc--a sort of splurge you might not do otherwise.