Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

1st trip to Hawaii - 10yr anniversary (no kids!) - Kauai and ???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2011, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning our first trip to Hawaii for May 2012 to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. We are leaving the 3 kiddos at home (thank you grandparents!) and will have 10-12 blissful days to ourselves. We're flying direct to Oahu from NY, but don't necessarily want to spend much time in Oahu. We know we definitely want to visit Kauai (will probably stay on the North Shore) and one other island, but we are having a hard time deciding between Maui and the Big Island. We want a combination of adventure and relaxation - we would like to try surfing and do some hiking, possibly take a heli tour, maybe horseback ride or ATVs, but we also want some beach/spa time, scenic drives, waterfalls, etc. My husband gets seasick so unfortunately we can't do a lot of boating/snorkeling type activities. We are not huge "nightlife" people, though we do love good food and enjoy finding local treasures as much as fine dining. Would love some advice from people who have been before as to which island might suit us best. And if you agree that with our time, 2 islands is more manageable than 3. Finally, any recommendations for accommodations would be appreciated - we love luxury but unfortunately can not spend $600+ a night for the whole trip. $200-$300 a night would probably be our range though we'd be willing to splurge for a couple of nights around our actual anniversary. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 08:28 AM

This "which island" topic comes up a lot. I suggest for starters that you look at the many previous posts on this subject. In the "Search the Forums" box, put in "Maui or Big Island", then click on "Search". Good luck.
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 09:32 AM

Personally I would spend the entire time on Kauai in a condo on the northshore. You could do all of your above activities on Kauai. We have split 2 weeks with 4 days on Maui and 7 days on Kauai. We have also spent 10 days on Maui. I would love to visit the Big Island but it is big and you need more than a couple days there.

If you really want to visit another island, I would suggest staying on Oahu--you could even stay on the northshore or go to Maui. The islands are all so beautiful. You can't go wrong no matter what you choose. I like to relax and find that switching to another island requires checking out, returning the car, flying to the other island, getting another car, checking in........You lose valuable relaxing, beach, hiking, sightseeing time.
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 10:16 AM

Kauai is beautiful, look at Hanalei Bay Resort (rent from an owner if you decide to stay here) or possibly one of the condos up in Princeville for your budget.

It's been awhile since I've been to Maui but it does have good restaurants (Kauai has gotten at least 4 new upscale places in the last few years also) and good snorkeling. It does have some nightlife also in the Lahaina area.
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 11:46 AM

I agree with Linda. You can do everything you say you'd like to do on Kauai, so why waste time traveling between the islands. For a change of scenery, consider splitting time between the north shore and the Poipu area.
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 03:40 PM

We love all the islands. The north shore of Oahu is so much different than the Waikiki area. You could spend 3 or 4 nights on the north shore at turtle bay exploring that area. There are some great uncrowded beaches. Turtle Bay has a nice spa, beach area, and some good restaurants. Then the remainder of your trip you could get a nice ocean front condo in Kauai. Whichever island, it will be an awesome anniversary, we spent our 10th on Maui.
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 04:28 PM

In order of priority - our favorites are the North Shore of Kauai and the Big Island - especially spending some time up at the Volcano House or in nearby Volcano Village. Driving around the Big Island is probably the most fufilling of any day you can spend in Paradise, although driving around Oahu is fun, and out to Hana in Maui is well worth traversling the 600 some curves (once you get there. .

If you were younger and liked nightlife, might suggest Maui - but think after spending some time on both North Shores (and getting around both Kauai and Oahu) - taking the 40? minute hop over to Big Island would be a nice cap to a wonderful trip.
Old Nov 15th, 2011, 06:53 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think 3 islands is too much for 10-12 days. And it seems like you are going to Oahu for sure, plus Kauai. I'd just stick with that. Maybe spend 3-4 days on Oahu at the beginning or end of the trip (there is more to Oahu than Waikiki, it offers much of what you list... surfing, hikes, waterfalls, etc.) and 1 week on Kauai.

It takes time, expense, and effort changing islands. I'd rather just pick one or two great locations and stay put and enjoy what's there (than seeing the insides of taxis, airports, planes).
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 11:59 AM

We have been to Oahu, Maui, Big Island, and Kauai. Kauai is by far our favorite. We have done condo's in Princeville but more often have stayed at what used to be the Hilton on the East side near Kapaa. It was the most central location for both North Shore and Poipu. Some hilights not to miss is renting a Kayak on the river. It is a short paddle to a beach where you leave the kayak and hike to secret falls. The hike is about an hour trough a beautiful forest type setting. The Smith Family luau in Kapaa was great. Ke'e beach at the end of the road on north shore is perfect for calm snorkeling with lots of fish.
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 04:53 PM

On our first trip to Hawaii, we did three islands in 10-12 days (just two days on Oahu, and the rest of time split between Maui and Big Island). It didn't feel rushed then because everything was new and amazing. We've been back a few times since, and we've settled on Kauai and Maui. Maui has a little bit more nightlife and we like the snorkeling and the beaches there.
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 11:27 AM

Last trip to Hawaii, we spent 3 nights on Oahu - loved the hike up Diamond Head, visiting the Arizona Memorial, driving up to the North Shore & around the east side of Oahu, visited the Byodo-in temple & drove back to Waikiki across the Likelike Hwy. Stayed at the Outrigger Reef, which was nice; had 1 dinner next door outside at the Halekulani, House Without a Key, watching the sunset over the ocean in the background, while in the foreground, Hawaiian dancing & music. Also had a wonderful meal at Alan Wong's in downtown Honolulu (take a taxi!)

Then, we hopped over to Maui where we spent 11 nights. We did also get to visit Lanai on a Trilogy Sail/Snorkel trip (there is an optional van tour of the island which we did & enjoyed) or you can just catch the ferry from Lahaina, Maui to Lanai & spend a day on your own. Our favorite places to eat on Maui were Merriman's in Kapalua & Mama's Fish House for a nicer dining experience and Mala Ocean Tavern & Paia Fish Market for more casual dining.
We moved around a bit on Maui to capture what we wanted to do at a more leisurely pace & we don't mind changing our lodging, but it's certainly not for everyone.
We started with 2 nights at the Paia Inn Hotel from where we enjoyed a sunrise at Haleakala, ziplining, visiting Alii Kula lavender farm, a winery, & just enjoying the coolness & views from upcountry Maui.
We then drove the Road to Hana at a leisurely pace, spending 3 nights in Hana & enjoying some wonderful hiking, waterfalls, an oceanfront couples massage at Luana Spa, etc.
Lastly, we stayed at a nice B & B in West Maui - the Hooilo House.

We'll be returning to Oahu for a wedding in June & will be staying at the Aulani, the site of the wedding. We hope to see Lanakai beach & Kailua which we missed last visit and Iolani Palace. May also do the Hole in the Wall food tour.

Then we'll spend a week on Kauai & will split our time between the North & Poipu - renting a condo in Princeville & staying at the Koa Kea our last 3 nights.

Hope this helps!
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 06:43 PM

If you want to have an amazing helicopter tour, you really can't beat the Big Island! Where else in the world can you fly overan active volcano? There are also several excellent horseback riding outfitters there, too.