Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where in Hawaii for 4th of july without crowds?

Old Apr 9th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it even possible to avoid? My husband can only take 1 week this summer and its on the 4th. We want to go to an island, hawaii, or carribean, but we especially love hawaii. Our concern though is these hotels will not be top notch during this week, based on reviews from others on their hawaii getaways for july 4th. Some people have written that even the four seasons on the big island couldnt keep up with all the crowds and that guests at the hotel have been denied seating by the pool or on the beach bc there is an excess of people. When we visited maui and stayed at the 4 seasons in early september we had difficulty getting a lounge chair, so I imagine July 4th could be way worse. Should we avoid hawaii during this time or do you have a rec for a full service hotel that will hold up to it's standards no matter what time of year?
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 07:38 PM

Mission impossible. We stayed on both Maui & the BI for the 4th (4Seasons also), hotels were full with many, many kids. Price will not make a difference. The 4S Maui at that time was the worst place I have ever seen misbehaved children in all our travels.

Lanai? But they may not have fireworks and there still be a lot of families.

We only visit hawaii during off season and not on holidays. Perhaps someone else can give you more encouraging info but I do not think you will find any tranquility at a hotel.

Ps, I don't dislike kids, it just seems as you are a couple you may want to avoid that type of scene if you only have 1 week. We travel with our nieces regularly
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 10:18 AM

I just wanted to follow up for you, if you really have your heart set on Hawaii I'd suggest hotels that have adults only pools. The 4Seasons Big Island really does keep their Banyon Tree pool quiet and cell phone free. The beach cabanas are moved in large rows beachside so if you use one of those you will be by neighbors but the pool would be better though busy.

Also, though I've never stayed there the Fairmont on Maui has an adults only pool. Maybe someone else that has been there can assist.

Regards
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 11:15 AM

The 4th of July in Hawaii is a BIG thing - one of their (the locals) favorite holidays. I was fortunate enough to be there last year and went with my BF to Schofield Barracks (on Oahu)for the 4th of July festivities - it was AWESOME!! There are also fireworks displays in Waikiki as well.

As far as where to stay (which island) - I only have experience (on this holiday, anyway) with Waikiki - any of the hotels would be crowded, but if you know that going in and are prepared for it then it shouldn't be so bad as if you're expecting it to be a slow time to visit.

If you want to get away from the crowds, try Turtle Bay or Ko'Olina - both are away from the hustle & bustle of Waikiki, but close enough to come in and enjoy what Waikiki has to offer (dining, shopping, nightlife, fireworks, etc) They may have fireworks shows out there too, check with the hotel to find out. There will be families and kids there too, but because they are pretty much by themselves and not part of "hotel row," so to speak, like in Waikiki, it will obviously be much less crowded.

I would opt for Hawaii over the carribean, especially on the 4th of July - to share in the patriotic celebration.