Search

Hawaii in June/July-too congested?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2004, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawaii in June/July-too congested?

Hi,

I am planning to get married in June or July of next year. Am thinking about the Big Island for a honeymoon but am worried that it will be incredibly busy as the kiddies are out of school. We don't mind the wee ones, but don't want to wait in lines and spend 10 hours on the roads with bumper-to-bumper traffic.

For all you Hawaii experts, is June/July a bad time to go? We would be willing to wait a couple of months and go in September but don't want to defer if we don't need to.

And, any suggestions for romantic condos would be appreciated. I am looking at the big hotels but a lovely condo with a view and a BBQ sounds more relaxing and romantic.

Also, we have approx. 200,000 American Express miles in addition to 200,000 American Airlines miles. If anyone has used miles to obtain a hotel, I would love your suggestions.

Thanks!
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 08:23 AM

Personally I wouldn't do it. We were in Maui during July and the kids were everywhere. Also spent a 4th of July on the BI and while it was less congested than Maui it was still filled with families. Traffic was not a problem, any more so than it normally is. If a quiet environment is important I would hold off. I would use the AA miles for the 4 Seasons. I'm not sure if that will get you a while week but it will get at least a few days. Also, hotel rates will be cheaper in Sept. Warmest wishes
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 08:48 AM
MaureenB

We have been to the Big Island about five times during the summers, and have never been bothered by crowds. It's not like Maui or Kauai, where traffic can get congested 24/7. Anytime of year, you'll want to avoid evening rush hour, though, on the main drag up and down the Big Island.
I'd say definitely go for it, so your honeymoon can take place right after your wedding. Otherwise it's not as special.
We like a smallish, very nicely-kept condo complex called Sea Village, which is just a tad south of Kona village. It may not be luxurious enough for your honeymoon, but it is very nice with gorgeous ocean views and a small pool, free tennis courts, and barbecue area in the garden. Great location with beaches nearby. Definitely one of the nicest condo complexes we've seen in that vicinity. They are individually owned, so search on the 'net and you'll find many different rental offers. Actually, we've used a place in Florida, called Donita's Vacations Unlimited, to swap our condo for there-- but they also do straight rentals, I believe. If you look at Sea Village, be sure to get a full ocean view and maybe ask for the top floor (the third floor) for privacy. Each unit has a nice lanai, and we've always had a sweeping view of the ocean from there.
We have also liked the Mauna Lani-- better for a honeymoon than the Hilton Waikaloa (too many kids there, I think).
Hawaii is so great, you will love it.

Old Nov 29th, 2004, 09:19 AM

I think there is a huge difference in crowds, hotels vs condos If you are planning to stay in a hotel it will be extremely busy with families. I won't do it again. I am a person that doesn't have kids and prefer quiet hotels. I have been to Hawaii many times all seasons and these are my opinions, take it as you will. Also Hawaii travel is back to pre 9/11 numbers. Have a great stay
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 09:36 AM
bonniebroad

Alisa, IMHO, the Big Island would not be a problem in June/July. (I would think twice about Waikiki then, although I love Oahu so much, I might still do it! ) I would keep my wedding/honeymoon "together", and go for it, especially if you're staying in a condo. I don't think there'd be that many activities you'd participate in that would require standing in long lines anyway. Most things you'd have a reservation for anyway, right? I have been to Hawaii several times, and there's no time that I absolutely wouldn't go! (Although I prefer April through July.) Whatever you decide, have a wonderful trip. You will fall in love with the place!

Old Nov 29th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank Ladies!

Still a bit mixed. I really do not want to spend my days with a bunch of screaming kids at the pool, although exploring the island is more of my thing anyway.

Maybe the best plan is to go for a condo if I can find one. Or, consider somewhere else.

Given the number of posts about Hawaii on this site recently, I may be a bit behind! .

Any other suggestions for condos?