Where do you get gas?

Search

Where do you get gas?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where do you get gas?

Funny title, eh? Seriously though, I saw an interview on CNN a few weeks ago about how BP is putting significantly more time and money into research and development for new fuel alternatives. On the flip side, evidently Exxon/Mobile is doing just the opposite (still focussed on oil, oil, and more oil). It made me really think twice when I buy gas and try to go to BP versus Exxon/Mobile when I can. What do you think?
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 10:07 AM

I think Darwinism, applied to businesses, will show us that not only the alternative energy companies will prevail, but also the auto makers who take the gov't mandate seriously.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 10:21 AM

I certainly applaud BP for looking for alternate fuels. But my daughter is very down on BP because of their involvement in Tibet. I realize the following info is old, but here's a quote from Students for a Free Tibet:

"In April of 2000 BP invested $600 million in the Chinese state-owned oil company PetroChina. PetroChina is exploiting Tibet's oil and gas reserves and has built a massive pipeline to transport Tibet's natural gas to China's industrialized East Coast. This cash infusion made BP the largest foreign invester in PetroChina, and covered the estimated $530 million for the construction of the Tibet pipeline. After pressure from human rights groups and Tibet supporters worldwide, BP elected not to directly invest in the Sebei-Lanzhoue pipeline, but their money fueled the project.

BP talks a lot about their commitment to human rights, yet their willingness to underwrite Beijing's economic occupation of Tibet and East Turkestan (Xinjiang) makes it clear that their prifits come before their principles."
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

I don't know anything about the Tibet situation, but if they decided not to invest after protest, it seems like that is a move in the correct direction even if they did fund it initially. If you protest and a company changes their intent/actions based on the protests, what more can one ask?
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 10:50 AM

I think switch to a bicycle.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 10:56 AM

We live in NYC so don't have a car, but friends do and recently pulled up to a gas station and I was shocked that the gas was $2.72 a gallon for "cheap" gas the higher octane was over $3.00 a gallon. No wonder the airlines have upped their prices too.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 11:20 AM
GoTravel

I get gas seconds before I run out.

Old Aug 9th, 2005, 11:43 AM

Where? Usually at a greasy spoon restaurant, after I ate food I shouldn't and ate it too fast.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 02:00 PM

Snowrooster, I think you misunderstood. After protest, they decided not to *directly* fund the pipeline. But they *did* still fund it through PetroChina.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 02:19 PM

I paid $2.999 for premium Chevron two days ago - just so I could finally say that I paid $3/gallon. "Do people care? People do." Remember the Chevron advertisements a few years back?

The highest we paid during a Bi-centennial cross-country trip in 1976 from CA to the Liberty Bell, the peak of the gas crisis was 74 cents. At the time, I felt gasoline would be $2/gallon by the time I had a driver's license.

Anyway, I'm surprised that the thread police haven't posted here, yet.

What we know about BP, Exxon/Mobil, Shell, Chevron, et al, is only the info that gets released. Somebody types away online. Somebody broadcasts on FOXnews Somebody prints it in the papers. Most of the truly scandalous info doesn't reach us. Don't you think?
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 02:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I get gas at Sheetz which happens to be cheap and near my house.
I own BP stock and they are usually at least 10 cents a gallon more than sheetz. I go cheap!!!
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 02:33 PM

Just caught my typo in the above post. Should be "their profits come before their principles."
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Kal

Faina2,
Maybe you can borrow ***someone's*** Del Vista Boca broom to get about? LOL!!! O

Gas was about $2.75/gal in Las Vegas NV this past week. Ditto Reno a few days prior.
Wonder how much Hot August Nights cost the motorheads?

In Vegas, I bought the gas deal from the rental agency for about $2.45/gal.

gasbuddy.com
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 03:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
And oil companies, all of them, are making record profits these days. Didn't there used to be a law about energy companies and obscene profits? Now, with our new "energy" bill, they're also going to get billions of dollars in government subsidies to build more nuclear power plants. I'm sure that, one they're built -and is that good or bad?- we'll be charged an arm and a leg because it cost so much to build them.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 03:19 PM

Oh, Kal, so this is how you made it to Yountville - on a 2-seater broom with Mrs Kal? No wonder she needed a couple of drinks!

Where did you park your broom? Did it have a motorhead? I'd say you have a different type of head
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 04:30 AM

I use BP when traveling as they are everywhere (& I've had there card since 1982) Union 76 in town as that is about all there is to choose from. From an ethical standpoint, I really don't think it matters...the extraction of oil is an endangerment to the environment regardless of the intention of doing good. We're about to go hybrid w/my wifes next car since she drives the most.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 05:50 AM
JJ5

If you go hybrid, do it in the time frame that is most favorable to yourself. There is a period in which the differential will be completely income tax deductable dollar per dollar. This is straight off the top of your declared income, dollar to dollar.

The details are re Jan. 2006 forward and I know that not all hybrids later at the end of that year will fall under this encouraging umbrella. So do read up on this and purchase within the most favorable time frame.

My ex swears that all the gas deliveries/ tankers are selling to each other. He services their truck tire needs. My mechanic says to only use Mobile in IL because the others' additives are stressing my Saturn fuel injectors. I don't know who to believe. I do know that IL has lots of additives by law and that gas is cheaper in MI, and still cheaper in IN.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 05:01 PM

I like the idea of getting gasoline at "ethical" oil companies like BP and totally agree with the OP's point about Exxon/ Mobile focusing on the same old fossil fuels. At least BP is facing up to the fact that we're running out of oil. As for Exxon/ Mobile, it's like a kid being afraid of the monster and sticking his head under the blankets as if not seeing the problem will protect him from it.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 05:19 PM

First you resurrect a year-old thread.

Then you attempt to tell us who's ethical and who's not.

Frankly, I could care less where you do and do not buy your gas -- and that's being respectful.

You don't like Exxon/Mobile, I don't like BP. Who gives a rat's arse!! Take your discussion to a political forum -- this is a travel forum.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 05:41 PM

Amen Budman! Why would anyone resurrect this thread anyway? Another year old thread was resurrected about staying at the Wynn this weekend dated 4/5/05... please see thread entitled "Topping Threads"