Where do the celebrities go in NYC?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where do the celebrities eat lunch in NYC? Dinner? Just looking for somewhere that I might see some while visting. Thanks
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:45 AM

This question comes up all the time. Just search on this board for celebrities and you'll probably find lots of posts.

To be honest, I live in NYC, but I rarely see any. Even when something is being filmed, I rarely see actors or for that matter, much 'action'.

My daughter, on the other hand, is a good "spotter". She sees people all the time (usually actors I'm not familiar with). She's seen them in restaurants, Starbuck's, and just walking down the street usually in the afternoon when she's walking home from school.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:49 AM

Weekends are "amateur nights" in NYC, particularly in the summer months, so it's rare to see "celebrities" out and about.

On most weeknights, however, at least one or two famous people eat dinner at Da Silvano or Bar Pitti next door.

For the most part, however, celeb encounters are random -- if you try, you'll fail.

And, please, don't bother anyone while they're eating. I hope that goes without saying.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:53 AM

Joe Allen's on restaurant row often gets celebs for a late dinner (after the theater around 10 pm)

Here's one of many web pages with more info
http://www.littleviews.com/home/newy...W=&date_range=

(do a search for celeb hangouts in nyc)

I see celebs all the time, most often walking on the street. Madison Ave. in the 60s (near Barney's) is usually full of them. But as MFNYC says, you have to have good spotting skills.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:54 AM

I would read a few entries on gawker.com under their "gawker stalker" celebrity sightings. Honestly, pick a place in the W. Village with outdoors seating, sit down, and wait. You may or may not see anyone, but that probably has the highest concentration of celebs. I've also had quite a few sightings in Central Park.

You can select the day to see where spottings occured, but most of them are downtown (below 14th street).

http://www.gawker.com/stalker/
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:56 AM

I've walked by those 2 restaurants a million times (they have outdoor seating) and never saw a celeb. But, my daughter has (alway in the afternoon and during the school year).

And I agree, please don't bother them while they are eating.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 08:10 AM
Suerich68

I've seen many celebrities on Madison & 5th Avenues (above 55 St.); and also in the little restaurants on Columbus Ave.

Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 08:12 AM

Most of the time I see celebs just walking down the street. I've never seen any at a bar or restaurant...but then when you're trying you never see anyone usually!
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:00 AM

I've seen lots of celebrities in NYC - but it's soooo random, as others have said. I've seen them walking on the street, jogging, in the park, at Starbucks, walking dogs, etc. Uptown, downtown, midtown, everywhere. I've never seen any celebrities in tourist areas, though!

I've heard that Nobu is good for celebrity-spotting (friends have seen plenty there, I haven't, though), as is Bar Pitti (already mentioned). I'd imagine the more expensive restaurants are where you'd be most likely to spot someone famous.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:09 AM
Ike

It just depends where you are and when. I met Robert Goulet and his wife in the bar at the Helmsley NY late one night. I met Ivana Trump in Davidoff's Humidore room. We have seen Charles Bronson, Ray Charles, Anthony Quinn and several other celebities in hotel lobby's, bars, etc. I sat next to Tommy Lee Jones at breakfast in the Meridian Hotel once. We met Robert Nourie in Cafe De Artiste after a play one night and he invited us back state later to meet Julie Andrews on Victor Victoria. Nice guy but I had given him a Cuban cigar at dinner which helped. Robert Goulet sent an autographed picture to our room.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:18 AM

I think that's Michael Nourie, at least the one who was in Victor, Victoria.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:21 AM

I usually spot celebs at Saks and Bergdorf's. But, I really couldn't care less about them. I agree with Gekko, don't approach them. I once witnessed a soap star ask the manager of a grocery store to call the police because someone approached her. I also witnessed a BIG (original cast) Saturday Nite Live star read a tourist the riot act when she asked him for his autograph near the Plaza Hotel.

And all New Yorkers knew what would happen if anyone DARED to approach the late Katherine Hepburn or Jackie Onassis in a public place!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:28 AM

Of all the celebrities I've seen, I've only ever seen one be approached by a fan or tourist. Usually everyone sort of discretely tries to get a look without staring, and sometimes you hear whispers like "Is that really so-and-so?"
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:32 AM

We saw Ted Danson at Chelsea Market when we were in NYC in late June. We were both shopping for wine in the wine market
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:35 AM

Oh, and forgot to add another place: The lobby of the Mercer Hotel. I've seen at least 4 or 5 celebrities just hanging out on the couches in the lobby.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:42 AM

When we lived in NYC years ago we always saw several celebrities at the local greenmarket on Saturday mornings. It was the one place we always saw actors.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:47 AM

Celebrities eat lunch and dinner in all sorts of places. It depends on what type of celebrity you are looking for.

You are most likely to see them in the most expensive and trendy restaurants. but you will rarely see them on Fri or Sat - esp during the summer - since they're all in the Hamptons then. Also - you will see them late - celebs don;t eat dinner at 8pm.

As for clubs - I can give you some names but it's not likely you can get in - and even if you can they won;t let you into the VIP room where the celebs are.

Your best chance is to see them when they are working (theater or early AM live TV, or perhaps a premiere) or in their own neighborhoods - just doing errands and stuff.

I have seen many celebrities in NYC and only one in a restaurant - but many in supermarkets, Tower record, Barnes and noble, just walking on the street etc.

If you give us an idea of who you want to see someone may have a reco.

Best areas: Village, meat packing district, upper west side.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:47 AM

I didn't read this whole thread so I'll suggest that you just stroll around the West Village and Tribeca and you're bound to run into someone "famous".
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:47 AM
SAB

If you go looking for celebrities you probably won't find or even recognize them. As Gekko stated such sightings are random: I have seen people such as Uma Thurman and Susan Saradon on the street in the West Village; sat next to Anne Bancroft and in front of Stacey Keach at the theatre; seen Glenn Close having lunch at Cafe des Artiste; and seen Amy Irving on Central Park West. Most "celebrities" who live in NYC do so because they are not interested in being "seen" .
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:49 AM

I saw many celebrities when I lived in NYC for 30 years. It is all very serendipitous where they may be found. Henry Fonda was walking east on 57th Street, Hugh Downs was in a cigar shop, Dustin Hoffman was running up the street near Lincoln Center. Keep your eyes open, but don't be disappointed if you don't spot one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -