Reload this Page >

Where can we take our mom for a nice weekend within

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 04:48 AM
daughter

6 hours of the NY metro area? For a mom like most, who doesn't need anything, my sister and I would like to take my mother somewhere for the weekend for a Christmas present. Not NY or Boston (been too many times)

We like strolling charming neighborhoods, would like an excellent restaurant and shopping would be nice. Also want to avoid bitter cold weather since we'd like to go witin the next few months. Any suggestions?

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 05:16 AM
daughter2

Great Idea
I would a luxury hotel or air travel would be fun. Why not pop on a plane to London or Dublin. Not the expense or exhaustion you would think it would be if you plan a stay at 2-3 star hotels. Both places have shopping excursion promotions for long weekend travlers. I did it on a very meager income just a few years ago and I am only one daughter. Gave me memories I will always cherish. Might be fun to pop down to Miami or New Orleans also. Does not have to be Europe but something that was out of the ordinary. All kinds of fare deals out there right now (www.smarterliving.com) Just a thought. Not trying to offend. Have a great time where ever you decide to go!!!

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 07:01 AM
r-travels

How about a split between Alexandria & Williamsburg Va? I assume you're driving, since you posted "6 hours". While in DC area, consider some strolls around Georgetown and Dupont Circle areas. I'm not much of a shopper, but I know Williamsburg has various outlet malls and some nicer shops too. Try to see "Shear Madness" at the Kennedy Center, and if you're in WBurg on a Sat. night, see the 18th century play presented most Sat. nights. The houses in the historical area will be nicely decorarated for the holidays. Enjoy!

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 09:21 AM
duaghter

Thanks. I actually was considering Alexandria. While I would love to go to Europe or the caribbean, my sister and I have our own families to buy for for Christmas and that's a little over our budget.

Any good restaurant recommendations in Alexandria?

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 10:04 AM
karen

How about touring mansions along the Hudson?

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 11:20 AM
daughter2

Yeah daughter D.C area would be my bet also.It is always a bit warmer down there.

Another idea might be some of the Christmas villages in Vermont. Friend went years ago very quant if the cold won't get into your bones to bad. I just love it in Vermont but I ski. Always feeling like I missed something on the bus rides home where we pass sweet quiet towns.