When to Upgrade? Is the Ocean View Room worth it? Maui and BI

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got great advice last time from everyone, so hopefully you can shed a little light on this for me!

We will be staying at the Westin Ka'anapali Resort Villas on Maui, and Mauna Lani Bay on the Big Island. Currently, through two different package deals, we are booked into an Island View Villa and a Garden View Room, respectively.

Is it worth it to upgrade one or both of our rooms to Ocean View/Ocean Front? Anyone have an idea of the upgrade fee at either resort? When is optimal/cheapest time to have the upgrade conversation: now, or right when we check in?

Also, is it more worthwhile in terms of view to upgrade on Maui or Big Island? We're on Maui first, then the BI, so it might be nice to have a great view on our last nights of vacation.

I've been to Hawaii before, but my boyfriend has not, and I just want to ascertain how much that ocean view/breeze from the lanai will really matter, and what it might cost.

Thanks again!
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 01:15 PM

Now or when we check in? Might help if you say when that is.. peak season?

I think it's worth calling the hotels to check out what they say regarding upgrades.

Check through latest reviews on Tripadvisor too.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 01:53 PM

Do the rooms have a deck, where you can sit, have a drink or read a book and enjoy the view or are you just looking out the window?

Are you on Maui during whale season to watch whales breaching from the room?

If you are visiting during off season, you should book the non-view room and take a chance on requesting a free upgrade to the ocean view at check in. If a Westin is not full, hotels are generous with the view upgrade.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 02:21 PM

When we're near the water, we always want a water view especially when a room has a deck, balcony, or terrace. Sometimes "ocean front" rooms are more expensive that "ocean view" rooms from which water views are as (or nearly as) good.

HTTY
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 03:34 PM

We try always to have an ocean view or ocean front! Just seeing and hearing the ocean to us is one of the best parts of being in Hawaii. We leave our lanai doors open almost around the clock. I think both places are worth it. But I don't know what an upgrade will cost you. Whether it is worth it in dollar terms has to be up to you.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 03:40 PM

I agree regarding the view. In Hawaii, I want to see (hopefully hear) the ocean from my room.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 05:25 PM

That Westin is a time share villa set up, not sure that they can simply move you around when you show up since units are individually owned and rentals maybe hard to shift from one unit to another.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 06:30 PM

Ocean view, depending on the property, can mean just seeing the ocean from one window. Ocean front should mean that you will have a great view from the windows/doors facing the ocean.
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 02:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the explaining the difference between ocean view and ocean front, loveitaly!

We leave in about a week, and will be there for nearly two weeks in August.

All rooms at the BI hotel have lanai; not sure about the Westin but from the website it appears most have lanai.

I'm definitely going to take sassy_cat's advice and call the hotels to just find out the upgrade policy. And it also sounds like it's probably worth it for me to ask at check-in what's possible once I'm there.

Thank you!!!
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 03:30 AM

Have a lovely time, thusspakezara. I always think of Hawaii as the jewel of the United States. Two weeks in beautiful Hawaii sounds divine, a vacation I could use. Enjoy every precious moment no matter what view you have from your rooms!
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 07:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Even without a view of the ocean, views in Hawaii can be pretty dramatic - mountains, lushness. That being said, there is NOTHING like sitting on you balcony seeing and listening to the waves crash below you, especially in the evening with a bottle of wine.
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 07:48 AM

When my wife and I travel, the view from the room (unless it's a brick wall) is of relatively low importance. We're out seeing the sights and not sitting in the room. So it depends on how you want to spend your vacation.
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 08:21 AM

In my experience the meaning of "ocean view" varies from "glimpse" to "full view." There are instances where a building, though set farther from shore than an "ocean front" building, still affords great views of the ocean.

I scour TripAdvisor reviews of a property and I call the property to learn what I will have if I book an "ocean view' room as opposed to a "ocean front" room. An "ocean view" room may have a very pleasing view even if it isn't a full ocean view.

HTTY
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 11:14 AM

It's also true that 'ocean view' can be a glimpse that you can only see from a corner of your balcony or not at all visible while seated. Not worth an extra $100 a night or more..IMO.

So as HTTY says do your homework and find out exactly what the terms mean at the properties you have booked.
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 11:22 AM

Check not only what view you'd actually have with ocean view, but also what view you'll actually have if you don't upgrade. We stayed at a resort on Kauai a few years ago where "garden view" meant anything other than oceanfront or oceanview. That included overlooking the parking lot/landscaping. In that case, oceanview also meant a full-on view but from what seemed like miles away. Only oceanfront was truly accurate.
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 11:22 AM

Check not only what view you'd actually have with ocean view, but also what view you'll actually have if you don't upgrade. We stayed at a resort on Kauai a few years ago where "garden view" meant anything other than oceanfront or oceanview. That included overlooking the parking lot/landscaping. In that case, oceanview also meant a full-on view but from what seemed like miles away. Only oceanfront was truly accurate.
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 12:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would ask at the time of check-in if they had any rooms available with an ocean view (even though you are booked at a lower category). Depending on the hotel's occupancy rate, you may get an ocean view for no extra cost. If they say no, I would continue to be booked into a room in your category. Check the room out and if you don't like the view or still want to get an ocean view, go back out to the front desk and say you are not satisfied with the view and is there an opportunity to upgrade. Find out how much and then ask to see the room before you pay the upgrade. Then you can make your decision as to if it is worth it knowing the view from each room.
Old Aug 15th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for everyone's advice! I will be sure to pay it forward with a trip report when I get back, and let everyone know if/how the upgrade process occurred!