Reload this Page >

When to go to Yellowstone?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 12:08 PM
David

We have some time flexibility for a trip to Yellowstone this year. We are trying to decide between early June or early September. Any pros or cons with either time?

TIA,
David

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 01:21 PM
steve

Went about June 10 in 2002. Weather ws fine, not many people. If you are going to go in June, better get revervations soon. We stayed at Old Faithful LODGE cabins - nice location, decent cabin, inexpensive ($40-%55)

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 01:22 PM
steve

Went about June 10 in 2002. Weather ws fine, not many people. If you are going to go in June, better get resvervations soon. We stayed at Old Faithful LODGE cabins - nice location, decent cabin, inexpensive ($40-%55)

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 01:22 PM
steve

That should be $40-$55

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 01:25 PM
hiker

We went June 1-10.
A big pro is that you can travel around and find lodging at the last minute. We loved that it was still fairly quiet, no traffic, few crowds. In terms of wildlife viewing, a lot of babies are roaming around. The cons include unpredictable weather. We camped out 2-3x in Yellowstone and 2x in GTNP, but other nights we stayed inside because it was cold or snowing. Also we ended up hiking in snow above say 7K feet. Finally, they close some small parts (SE part of park) because of bears in early June.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 01:39 PM
GOL

First, I'd make reservations ASAP. eat the cancellation fee if you cant decide.

If your thing is wildlife, there are great differences. Example, the elt rutt (?) in September. Wildlife viewing opportunities vary on season. The NPS site (& email) will give much more info. If you get into the chat area of www.yellowstone-natl-park.com you will see many sighting of wildlife. I would also check out that site and post your question there.. many YNP fans.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 07:07 PM
Rammy

Just a thought but consider Yellowstone in the winter! Went in Jan 2000 and the snowmobile experience, the cold (-31), the absolute beauty of the park and heavy snow, Old Faithful, the wildlife, words cannot describe the once in a lifetime trip we had.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 07:59 PM
Jim Rosenberg

One interesting aspect of Yellowstone in September is that the elk bugling season is underway. Tourism tends to tail off once school starts and it's true that you can also beat the largest hoards on the front end by traveling in June. Another advantage of June is that the days are longer, but either time is enjoyable.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 08:13 PM
Bob Brown

The main problem with being in Yellowstone before mid June is that the road between Tower Falls and Canyon may not be open. The other roads will be.

If you are there in very late May, the park will not be in full swing yet. The summer ranger staff and trail crews are not yet on the job. When we were there in late May, we found some of the roads still closed, even the road to Great Fountain Geyser.
Very few Ranger guided hikes will be in operation until the summer complement is in place, which is usually about Memorial Day.

If you are there in September after Labor Day, most of the summer crowds will have dwindled, but tour buses still roll in. I think early June would be your best bet, with the slight problem of the Tower - Canyon road still being closed. This closing, however, is 100% dependent on the winter's snow fall.
In a year of light snow, it may well be open before June 10.
This year, being an El Nino one, may see more than average snow in Yellowstone. Let's hope so anyhow; we don't need the fires of '88 again any time soon. Those babies burned enough of the park to last for the next 30 years.

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 07:31 AM
Dayle

Parts of the mountain west, including Utah and the Yellowstone area are having a SEVERE drought this winter. Yellowstone doesn't even have enough snow the the snowmobile tour operators to run! The town of W. Yellowstone is a ghost town.

Therefore, this might be a very good year to go in early June. Unless Mother Nature catches us up for the season, the snow will be melted and roads open. Wildflowers are the major plus for early summer!

My most memorable trip to Yellowstone was early June. Although it was a regular snow year, quite cool during the days and some rain - No crowds and the wildflowers were awesome. I had many of the pictures blown up.

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 04:08 PM
Julie

I was there in July, so can't say which time would be better, but we stayed at the Lake Yellowstone Hotel and thought it was very nice. Also, the restaurant was pretty good and reasonable. We liked the Canyon area best and the hotel was close to it. We visited the Old Faithful Lodge and there were too many tour groups and people running around for me, but maybe that doesn't bother you. I'm sure you'll have a good time whichever time you decide upon, but if you do want to go in June, you should probably make reservations soon.

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 05:46 PM
CPS

Speaking as a resident of Jackson Hole (right beneath Yellowstone & Grand Teton National Parks), I would recommend September. The crowds are thinned, and the weather is usually spectacular that time of year. It may be cool at night, but it can be shorts weather during the day. Can't say that about June! Another factor many do not consider is mosquitos. They are murderous in early Spring (which counts as June here). By September, they seem to be sated and are not such pests. My bet: September.