When to Book, Your experience wanted!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2004, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for a budget trip to Hawaii. Last year around the first part of March, I found a great airfare price from Houston, Tx to Honolulu(under $400 pp) for first part of June 2003, but couldn't go. Drat!!! Should I wait until March again,and hold out as it gets closer to June to try and find good prices on airfare? or just bite the bullet and don't take any chances. Graduation gift & anniversary so I have to go at this time this year. What about finding accomodations if I wait will I have problems? I've heard the first part of June is slow season but great weather.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 10:25 AM

If you are only going to Honolulu, you should have no problem finding less expensive flights as the time nears. Airlines will lower fares to fill planes and there are lots of planes going to Honolulu daily. It may not be a non-stop flight from Houston however. May require a stop in another west coast city. Likewise, hotels in Honolulu are prevalent. You shouldn't have a problem finding a room either. Are you planning to visit another island besides Oahu?
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 10:03 PM

Don't count on this March having the same sale. I tried that & it didn't happen. I found $179 RT from Dallas to Honolulu on United back in Oct. '97. Couldn't go but kept watching for it the following Sept & Oct. Never happened. Nor the Oct. after that.

What I have learned from years of being my own Travel Agent is that you cannot predict prices when it comes to airfare. Even when airlines should be fully booked (during holidays, Mardi Gras, Summer, Spring Break, etc.) sometimes they add more flights or for some reason more seats need to be sold fast & they'll do that at a reduced rate. I booked Austin to Denver this week for $158 RT all fees incl. The fare was the same yesterday. Today, the very same flight is $392!! It could come down drastically again but then, again, it may not. When you are looking know when you can go, make sure that you are in sync with any other parties planning to travel with you & be ready to pounce right then on the sale. If you hesitate you may lose.

I have literally been on the phone calling an airline having a big sale & turned to my husband & said, "Do you want to spend our anniversary in NYC for $58 round-trip (before fees)?" & he said "sure". That was in early Jan. & our anniversary is in Feb. Good Luck
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advise so far. I do plan to change islands. 3 days Honolulu is all I can stand. Plan on spending 16 days total, with 7 Big I, 6 Kauai.
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 08:12 AM

I've noticed a few people on this board do what I do-that is, use the fare watcher system on travelocity, expedia etc..They are usually pretty good regarding fare sales and letting you know via e-mail when your destination goes up or down by certain incriments (you choose the $value)Also, if you have the time, go to the major airlines web sites them selves and just play with the systems they have set up. I also subscribe to many airline e-mail newsletter type stuff and many times know about sales happening through these notifications. About a week or so ago Continental had a great fare to HNL from Toronto (my home airport) for about 3 or 4 days and I only knew about it because of the travelocity fare watcher e-mail I got. (fare was an absurd $551 canadian or about 385 american) Anyway, good luck, something will come along.
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Any one had any better luck between expedia travelocity orbitz etc....
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 05:11 PM

We use frequent flyer miles so I have to book my flight 330 days in advance. After I do the in bound and the out bound, I figure out which islands we will visit within that time frame. Then I shop for hotels. I find the earlier I book, the better price I get. I call always continue looking for the best price while holding what I consider is a good price. We booked the new Westin Ocean Villas on Maui as soon as they were available to book. I thought it was pricey at the time but the rate has gone up considerably since then so I am satisfied with that. We also got a good rate at the Hilton Waikaloa and then I was able to get an even better rate for one of the rooms through Hilton Grand Vacations. I over lap the dates until I set up my interisland airfare. I used United ff miles for those. Its easier to delete a couple of days then to add them later. As far as rental cars, earlier is usually better. Shop for your best rate as early as possible. You have a baseline to work from and then every month or so, check the rates. So far I can't beat the rates I initially booked. There is nothing that isn't refundable, unless of course its airfare so book early if the rate looks good and continue to shop.