Cheap Flights, Best Days to Travel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when we started looking at flights to las vegas or phoenix, the prices were reasonable (3 wks ago or so). we're finally ready to start booking flights/hotels, etc & I was floored to see that the flights are close to $400 per person. Can't remember exact rates but over $100+ less, which actually surprised me then.

at any rate, do you all know any tricks for acquiring the best rates for flights? Certain days of the week better? particular websites that are especially good?

thanks!
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 12:29 PM

My guess is that you saw flights that were on sale 3 weeks ago and that they are no longer on sale.

You don't say where you are coming from, but flights from Sunday through Thursday are generally chaper than on weekends.

Do a general search on Expedia, Orbitz, or Travelocity, but then try to book directly on the airline's Web site. Also check JetBlue and Southwest.

$300 is absolutely not unusual for an airline flight right now. You're kidding yourself if you really think you're going to do better than that. $400 is more typical for a lot of destinations now that flights have been cut back, but if they do not fill up, then you can probably expect to see flights around $300 again, though I doubt very much lower than that.

Also look at air/hotel packages, which can save you some money.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

thanks. i'll see if we can combine it with hotel & rental car & try to fly on those particular days. thanks for the suggestions.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 12:35 PM

Are your dates flexible? Are you near a Southwest city?

We're flying Southwest in April from NH to Las Vegas for $99 each way (per person). This sale has been extended twice so far. But, you have to watch and book. The $99 fares for our outgoing date are gone already.

Note that you have to shop Southwest specifically on their web site.

It's been a long, long time since I've seen a hotel/air package to anywhere for less than booking individually.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 12:36 PM

Airfares fluxuate almost as quickly as rabbits multiply - often fares change in hours rather than days. Your best bet it to check fares to you intended destination on a regular basis and when you see what looks like a good fare go ahead and book the flight as the fare may be "here today, gone tomorrow".

Generally speaking flying mid-week (Tusdays thru Thusdays) is cheaper than flying on weekends or around holiday periods.

You can also sign up for "Airfare Alerts" with the airline(s) of your choice (you do this on their websites) and they will send you an e-mail when there are fare sales to you destination.

Lastly, you can monitor fares on websites like www.kayak.com.

the thing is no of us can predict when airfares will rise and/or fall - you just have to be a savy consumer nd know a good fare when you see it.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 12:44 PM

And, if you decide on Las Vegas, it's ALWAYS better to book directly with the hotel. Not only are rates the same or lower, but they tend to go down (and down) as your dates approach.

Also, there are discount codes for Las Vegas hotels with rates significantly lower than Expedia. For example, with their "one day sale" (today) "Enjoy rates from $120.00 per night between Feb-5-2009 and Apr-6-2009. " at the Paris Hotel. You can book directly with the Paris hotel for as low as $60/night ($75 weekends).

Expedia's "low price guarantee" gets you a $50 travel coupon" if you find a lower rate within 24 hours after booking.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 01:49 PM

Some websites have "my dates are flexible" feature. Sorry don't remember which ones. Maybe Orbitz.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 02:11 PM

Try kayak.com I don't think they include Southwest, so you might try SW seperately.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

thanks. very helpful. how accurate do you think farewatcher is in terms of predicting whether fares will go down.

it said 68% chance of fares reducing by $40 in the next week.

but these sites have far better fares that i was finding yesterday---and i am much relieved! thanks