Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What's Your Poison and What Act of Mother Nature Has Affected Your Travels?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sipping a Chardonnay this evening and thinking about tonight's question, courtesy of PamSF. Thanks, Pam.....and everyone else feel free to offer up topics for future threads.

I suppose we have been quite lucky because I can't really think of many acts of mother nature that have directly affected us in our travels. Only two come to mind and neither of them were really during pleasure trips.

In 1994 we were visiting family in Houston and a tropical wave came thru the city causing major flooding. On top of that, a nearby chemical plant line ruptured and the San Jacinto River (which we were staying very close to) caught fire. Until I saw that huge fire burning on the river with my own eyes for two days I'd never really considered that a fire could burn so long on top of water. Thankfully we never had to be evactuated, although it was considered.

The only other thing that comes to mind is when my husband was seriously injured after Hurricane Luis devestated our island back in 1995. We were airlifted to San Juan for his treatment since all local hospitals had been demolished, only to be stranded there during Hurricane Marilyn seven days later. We had no idea if our home or pets were being looked after because we'd had to leave so suddenly, and we had no way of contacting anyone due to phone service being out. So, it was quite stressful not knowing what was going on here. I should have known, however, that our dear friends and neighbors would all chip in and fully look after everything in our absence. They even had our home put back together, cleaned, and dinner made when we were finally able to return several days later. I won't go into the duct taped, broken gauged, stinky lobster plane that we finally found to get us home, since so many aircraft were inoperable after both storms hit the area. I'll save that for another night.

So, what's your poison and what acts of Mother Nature have affected your travels?
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 02:45 PM

Hey Statia ~

First timer caller here on your poison thread, hee...

The gust of wind that came OUTA-NO-WHERE last weekend, shattering the glass on our deck table, ripping the umbrella right out of the bugger, prevented me from 'traveling' to Home Depot to start my dresser painting project, lol, does that count?

Oh, and right now sipping a lovely Iron Butterfly before we leave for Vivaldi.

Old Aug 5th, 2005, 02:45 PM

Faina's post, take 3

I have a bottle of red Hungarian wine, something with the word "bull" in it, not as in BS, the animal. I really can't wait to go home today, such a crazy day.

While at the Date Festival in Palm Springs, all of a sudden the sky got black, strongest wind and heavy rain. Who could expect it in the desert??

Other then that... 2 co-workers got caught in snowstorms and were late to work.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 03:00 PM

Just like last week, it's a Mojito...what can I say, I'm addicted!

I've been very fortunate with my travels and have only had the occassional rain and snow storms to get in my way.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 03:01 PM
bonniebroad

Good evening Statia, and happy Friday! I'm drinking a big glass of my favorite Rhine, and just polished off a huge pasta bowl of spaghetti with clam sauce ... yum!

A couple of times come to mind .... last summer, when we took our dgd to Wrightsville Beach, we arrived with a tropical storm (no clue it was coming, so busy we'd not watched the weather!), and could not go in the water the three days we were there because of it!!! Thank goodness, we were in a wonderful Residence Inn with a beautiful pool, so we played on the beach but swam in the pool!

Also, in Hawaii a few years ago, we had a tsunami warning on Maui, had to cancel our plans for the day. That afternoon, after the warning was called off, we decided to do a partial drive to Hana. I fell off a six-foot embankment, broke my ankle and was on a plane back to the Mainland the next day! Oh, well, I did get six nights in Hawaii ...

A third thing that Mother Nature did ... we finally rented a beach cottage this year, in Indian Shores, Fl. Red Tide algae affected our beach the entire time ... dead fish, choking fumes .... but we had a good trip anyway, just couldn't swim at *our* beach! I think that's about it ....

Hope everybody's having a good Friday evening ....

Old Aug 5th, 2005, 03:12 PM
dcespedes

We had a bbq for friends a few weeks ago and someone left behind a bottle of Blackstone Chardonnay, Monterey County 2002--it's quite good she says half way through the bottle.

Faina, I saw your post(s) ;-) on the Europe board and am anxious to hear about this Hungarian wine!

Gosh, I can't think of a thing which through admission will no doubt jinx me for sure. Sure we've sat on tarmacs at times for hours on end, or, in airports due to weather. And it seems every year we ski there's a terrific snow storm the night before we leave but even that has never prevented us from getting to where we're going. Unlike REO Speedwagon who, according to our shuttle driver to Breckenridge last year, told us they wrote "Riding the Storm Out" while stuck in a Colorado blizzard. One year dh had an unexpected overnight stay at DFW when a tornado whipped through the city but that's it...she says causiously....

Old Aug 5th, 2005, 03:15 PM

Hi Statia,

DH and I just finished our customary Friday eve bottle of Ca. Chardonnay.

Thank goodness for good neighbors!

Funny you should mention 1995...

We were on St Lucia for two weeks when Karen, Luis and Marilyn all hit on or near the island.

Because our room at Anse Chastanet only had one solid wall (one was completely open and two were jalousie shutters), all of the island's fauna decided to weather the storms with us. Birds, lizards, crapeau - you name it.

I was afraid to go to the bathroom during the night because I didn't know whom I might step on.

At dinner the night the storm was at its worst, we ate at the oceanfront restaurant which was fortified with sandbags.

Every so often, we diners at the closet tables to the water would yell, "WAVE!" and everyone would lift their feet up off the floor while we continued to eat so the water would not get our feet wet.

We stayed at the bar that night until part of it collapsed, and when we went down after breakfast the next morning after enduring 70 mph winds all night long, the dive shop was mostly gone.

STuck at thre resort for the entire time we were there, we consumed far too many Coco Loco's and incurred a $1,000 bar bill for two people.

Cheers!
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 03:19 PM

Happy Friday everyone!

Just lots of ice water for me. Too darned hot here for anything else. Yesterday was 103 and right now its 99...and no, we do not have a/c...very few people here do. We will in a few weeks though, lol! Yes, we are heat wimps.

Can't remember where we were, but there was an e coli outbreak once. Had to use bottled water for everything.

Another time, we left SE GA during Hurricane Andrew (when they thought it would hit there) and we headed to Pensacola. Of course it came through near there, and I was miscarrying at the same time. Not a fun time.

The only other time I can think of was a trip to Europe, but we lucked out. We avoided several things. We had just left Scotland when hoof and mouth disease was found. We got out that morning, before everyone was being disinfected or whatever. Then the day we left London, there was a bombing at the BBC, but again, we had just left. While in Paris, there was the earthquake in Seattle, which was home for us at the time. So we personally avoided all this, but we kept wondering what was going to happen next! Luckily, when we returned home there was no damage and our friends made sure our pets and home were fine while we were away.

Old Aug 5th, 2005, 03:20 PM

Prosecco for me right now, but I may need to switch to something stronger. It's been a long day. I drove 45 miles downtown, pulled into the parking garage, then realized I'd left my wallet at home. I had to borrow money from my client (how embarrassing?) to get my car out of the garage and then drive very carefully (sans my drivers license) all the way home.

Acts of Mother Nature...I've been pretty lucky (knock on wood). A few years ago, I had a trip to see my brother in Houston delayed by a day due to that massive tropical storm that caused a lot of flooding. When we finally got there, we had to detour all the way around the city to get down to Lake Jackson as some of the expressways were still under water.

And I had a business trip to LA cancelled due to the infamous 1990 Valentine's Day snow storm in Chicago. It was just a business trip, so who cares? But who wants to spend Valentine's Day evening watching the monitors at O'Hare?

And, oh yeah, we went on a Caribbean cruise with my family over the holidays about 15 years ago. There was a very unusual cold front that came through, and it was in the upper 20s in Miami when we left port. So much for all that summer clothing we'd brought along. The ship's gift shop quickly sold out of sweatshirts.

Happy Friday, everyone!

Old Aug 5th, 2005, 03:21 PM

I'm about ready to mix up a fuzzy navel -- think I'll make it a double

Acts of nature...

My DH has been re-routed many a time due to weather. Or like dcespedes, we have waited on the tarmac for ungodly amounts of time.

The biggest problem we had was many years ago, during the winter, we came home to frozen pipes. I'd rather sit on the tarmac anyday then to come home to a flooded house, lol! We stopped traveling during the winter because of that until just recently when we made a trip for the first time in March to Florida. But we, just like BB, suffered from Red Tide. It was very unpleasant, but whatcha-gunna-do!

I have close friends who go to SC nearly every year, and they had to be evacuated once during a hurricane. Glad that never happened to us. But we did drive through I believe NC on our way to SC, and moments before we passed through, a tornado hit and tore the roofing off a strip mall. That was scary.

Sometimes you just never know what will happen!

Safe travels everyone and may the sun always shine down upon you!

Have a wonderful Friday evening
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 03:33 PM

I'm sipping chardonnay also. Just finished dinner and I am trying to avoid the dessert craving by coming here!

The one event I can think of is a snowstorm that hit Boston about 6 or more years ago on the day before we were departing for a trip to St. Martin. It was predicted to be a BIG one! So, as soon as I got out of work we drove to the airport to try to get on a flight to Newark so that we could at least be there on the morning our departure for St. Martin. Nothing was leaving Logan.

We rented a car and started driving to NJ. It was the drive from hell! I think I rode all the way huddled in the back seat except for the stop to get a bite to eat. I begged my husband to go back, but he wouldn't. We finally got to NJ and stayed at one of the airport hotels. I think I aged 10 years that night!!!

The next morning, we got to the airport only to discover that we did not have our passports. In our BIG rush, we had left them at home! A Continental agent was kind enough to help us and we got on our flight and had a great trip despite the ride from hell and the passport surprise.

Just thinking of this event has made me need another glass of wine!

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Old Aug 5th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Amy

Hmmmm....does ice water count as my poison? Perhaps if I tell you it's tap...

Anyway, the act of Mother Nature part happened when I went to Vancouver for New Year's a few years ago. I had wanted to go to Iceland, but was unable to get back in time for school on January 2nd. You got it: I didn't get back from Vancouver either! A snowstorm delayed the plane so much that I couldn't make a connecting flight, and was overnighted (? if that's a word) in Minnesota. Now, nothing against MN, but I had just come from the Wedgewood in Vancouver, and, well... However, the guy at the hotel desk was a real sweetie and let me use his computer to email instructions for the next day to the school.

Oh, and the hottest temps in Beijing since 1873 did put a bit of a slowdown on me a few weeks ago. Climbing the Great Wall in 104F temps is not recommended. (But oh, was it glorious otherwise!)
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

I'm enjoying hearing everyone's Mother Nature stories. DH reminded me of one more.

In 2003 we were at CDG in Paris headed back home and our flight was delayed for a few hours due to the island of Montserrat erupting more ash over the local area. Planes could not fly in the ash so we were held up in Paris for awhile until we could come home. We did make it home in one day, however.

Diana, I have sympathy for you if you went thru Luis and Marilyn, even if you were only hit at close range. We were hit straight on by both, along with Georges the following year. What a nightmare.

I'm still knocking on wood this year and hoping for the best.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 03:49 PM
lov_my_girlies

A frosty Bud Select here in St. Louis and in summer 04, we were in a tornado at Truman Lake in Missouri (all the other boats at the dock sank but ours...lucky?...I call it good clean livin!) THEN just 40 days later, HURRICANE CHARLEY in Orlando!
But we keep on going!

Old Aug 5th, 2005, 04:00 PM

Started on antibiotics (as a preventive measure) since my sick cat bit me yesterday. If I could, I'd be numbing myself with a series of nice stiff drinks--something I haven't done in forever.

I remember flying home one weekend eight years ago for my brother's 30th surprise party. It was a hellish winter that year and they had just had blizzard maybe 2 days before. My dad picked me up at Newark Airport and driving out of the parking lot was like going through a snow tunnel. The snow was piled so high and so deep that there was just enough room for our SUV to get through. We had no landmarks b/c the snow banks were obscuring everything. In fact, we almost missed our own driveway b/c we couldn't see our house from the road. The next night was the party and about 1/2 the people who RSVP'd made it and my SIL had a helluva time picking up the platters, booze and everything else b/c some businesses had lost power or missed deliveries and had a tough time getting orders together...That weekend was like living the ice house scene from Dr. Zhivago.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 04:05 PM
dcespedes

"That weekend was like living the ice house scene from Dr. Zhivago" -- oh my gosh, what an image!

DH is still not home from work...I am now 3/4+ through my bottle of *hick* wine...perhaps my bottle of wine is dinner--was it not food for the Gods?!

Old Aug 5th, 2005, 04:10 PM

Dr. Zhivago is one of my all time favorite movies but it's one thing to see that much snow and ice, it's quite another to be in the midst of it. I get cold just thinking about it! And my family wonders why I never moved back to NY...
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 04:17 PM

Evenin' All
It's just a tad past 5:00, and I am
just beginning to ponder my poison for the eve...

I am reminded of a flight from SF to
Tucson one August, late afternoon. We diverted to Phoenix because of a
problem with radar-not good when flying
in the monsoon summer storms
(and God bless all on that Air France flight!)
After 6 hours we were cancelled until morning. Exhausted, we spent the night in Phoenix, too tired to make the 2 hr.
drive to Tucson.
Sooooooooo....on our adventure to
St. Louis next month we will leave SF on a -oh, my - 6O AM flight praying to avoid late afternoon thunderstorms.
Mother Nature knows I am not the earliest of risers !
R5
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 04:17 PM

Hey Statia, everyone!

Well it was a pilgrimage of sorts. Heading to spread a dear girlfriends ashes in Ute country in Colorado. The first act of nature would definately be altitude sickness. Exhausted and driving thru Monarch Pass on our way to Gunnison, well we started laughing so hard, I had to pull off to the side of the road, tears streaming down my face. I never laughed so hard.

On our way to bury the ashes on Indian Reservation under my dear friends chosen tree...the sky opened up like an orchestra and knocked out the tree. Then the storm passed and we had the most amazing memorial at her fallen tree.

Haven not been to that part of the country, we headed to Telluride. Again due to the weather making it not a good day for the pool, we headed out on the Million Dollar Highway for a drive.

Upon our return from Silverton, heading to Ouray, I saw something up ahead......well we were about a minute behind a huge landslide and the second car on the scene. We convinced the van in front of us to drive thru. Mind you we were in a mustang converbible with about 4" of clearance.....we went thru the debris admirably!!! All those years of doing donuts in parking lots during snow storms in the East! In the rearview mirror we saw a F250 in trouble!! Timing is everything, and knowing when to go for it! We stopped at Ouray and told them a lot of people would be turning back as the highway was shut down behind us!

So of course after all these adventures, we headed back to Denver to fly home, and were grounded for 5 hours of lightning storms!

It was one of the best trips ever!!!!!!!

Cheers!!!
G'Lou
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 04:29 PM

Oops poison.....vodka spritzer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -