Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite San Francisco Bar and San Fran Restaurant?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 12:01 PM
Brooke

Well, I know that there are many different opinions out there as to what's a "must do" or the "best" - but that's the greatness of this board! So, my question is, my sister in law and myself (ages 29 and 34) are going to SF for the first time. We absolutely love to cook, eat at great restaurants,-- are going to wine country -- and want to go out to a few "trendy" bars while we're there. We're staying downtown but will venture anywhere. Any recommendations on "must go to's" for San Fran restaurants, bars? Also any for a favorite restaurant in Napa or Sonoma?

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 12:55 PM
snarla

I was there a few weeks ago visitng my brother and I really enjoyed "Home" in the Castro. It was loud, but not deafening. The food is great, plus(a huge plus), it was reasonably priced. $5 martinis! Pretty trendy mixed gay/straight crowd.

You can take a cab or it's right off the train at the Castro stop.

Have fun!

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 01:53 PM
kam

Absinthe is a beautiful bar plus restarant in Hayes valley--over by the opera house. there's also a nice wine bar over there that I can't think of the name right now. The bar at Farallon is pretty gorgeous, but don't waste your time and money on dinner. Kuleto's on Powell has a nice old fashioned bar. And the Top of the Mark (Hopkins) is a SF institution. Try taking a look at www.sfgate.com cause I'm a bit older than you and don't really know where the young crowd hangs out right now. Cow Hollow is very popular, I do know that.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 02:24 PM
lizbeth

Here's a place that is hot right now - Chez Papa in San Francisco's Potrero Hill district (on 18th near Mariposa). Chez Papa is run by the same folks who own the ever-popular Plouf on Belden Lane. It has a southern-French feel to both the menu and the ambiance.
Be warned that it's really popular - we were there on a Monday night at 5:45 and the place was nearly full and stayed that way throughout our meal. We had the wonderful "beignets du jour", savory fritters which on that night were eggplant and sweet pepper. We moved on to fish and lamb entrees and finished with a molten chocolate pudding cake. It was all to die for. The waiters were very knowledgeable about the wine list, leading me to the perfect Rhone to drink with my halibut.
Potrero Hill would be an interesting neighborhood to visit while you're here - it's a little funky, very cool, has great Victorian houses and has a view over the Bay and of downtown S.F. Plus, the weather is always a little warmer there - it's like a sunny island in the fog.
Anyway, just a recent personal experience I'm passing on to you - welcome to the City and have lots of fun.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 03:04 PM
kal

Is Moose's still trendy? We liked the local "bucket of blood" bar "The Saloon" on Grant.

As for Napa/Sonoma area, Della Santina's, Rutherford Grille, Napa Vally Grille, Bouchon's, Bistro Jeanty,
Taylor's Refresher, Martini House to name a few.

Good luck and you're right, still a pretty nice "board".
Kal

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 03:36 PM
Nanette

In the wine country "French Laundry" in Yountville is a must! Reservations are necessary, though lunch is easier to get into than dinner. For a lovely setting, try Brix in Yountville. At least sit on the patio and enjoy the scenery. In SF, Fifth Floor was a wonderful experience, the Compass and Rose is a great place to have a martini or Bix for a great supper club like feel. Music included. Also, since you both like to cook you might look into the California Culinary Academy in SF(they serve lunch and dinner). If you want to cross to the other side of the Bay, try Chez Panisse in Berkeley. Hope this helps!

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 03:41 PM
kal

Oh..and Pier 23 in SF has a nice bar and if you sit out back, a nice view.

And Shanghai Kellys on Polk/B'way had a rather eclectic group of characters.
kal

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 05:39 PM
SF

We just returned from San Francisco yesterday and had a great time!!! We are in your age group and Loved Bix supper club. We went on Tuesday night and the bar was packed - there was Jazz music and the food was great!! It is definitely a trandy bar with lots of locals who were there after work. We also had drinks at the Tonga room in the Fairmont hotel - great atmosphere and band but not really hopping - was told Thrus/Fri/Sat were packed there so try to go then! Have Fun!

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 02:01 PM
margie

There are so many great restaurants in SF.
Some favorites

- Farallon: this is where we usually take out of town visitors because the interior is so hip (you'll feel like you're in an undersea gallery) and the food is outstanding (as are the drinks)
- Fringale: outstanding food, comfortable environment
- Ti Couz for crepes in the Mission (the mission is just a fun/trendy place to wander around. Good restaurants/bars in a very relaxed atmosphere)
- Slanted Door (currently located SOMA). just great food.
bayarea.citysearch.com has good reviews of local restaurants with other patrons feedback

have fun!
Oh -- and in wine country you really should try to go to Graystone Castle. It's the restaurant at the Culinary Institute (CIA) and is a bit easier to get in to than French Laundry
and, if you want to go over to berkeley, there's always Chez Panisse

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 06:36 PM
barbara

42 Degrees...very good,vey hip with live jazz!! Highly recommend!

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 01:30 PM
Kate

We went to Boulevard in San Fran for dinner one night...Wonderful! Go there - great food - great atmosphere.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 01:55 PM
Hi

Suppencuche (pron "soopin-coo-chay)is a great German restaurant. Now, I know German restaurants can be totally marginal, but this place is gourmet in nature. Its on Hayes St (near Fillmore)and its very warm and homey. The candle lit tables are unstained hardwood w/ benches that you share with others (if you have a small party)Great Beer and wine list and the food is really delicious and filling. Cost is about $25/person with 1 drink.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 09:43 AM
suzanne

Here's another vote for Absinthe in Hayes Valley - delicious French food!

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 10:09 AM
Fran

Don't forget Tadich Grill. Oldest restaurant in SF and still the very best seafood in town. The Sauteed Sand Dabs Amandine are to die for. Also love the Fifth Floor and Silks for elegant fine dining.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Jacquee4

Was just in Napa, Sonoma, & San Fran in September; my fav's:
Napa- Tra Vigne (St. Helena- beautiful outdoor wine bar(though it closes early) & outdoor dining area.
Sonoma- Bistro Ralph(Healdsburg)- small but nice atmosphere- across the plaza- nice jazz bar (sorry can't think of the name- next to the Inn on the Plaza).
San Fran- Boulevard- fun, young, lots of atmosphere.

They all have equally excellent food.
Enjoy!

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 08:45 PM
seamus

Another vote for Absinthe. Also fun is Plumpjack Cafe and Bettelnut.