Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

My husband suprised me with a trip to San Francisco - a few questions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 11:23 AM
alex

My husband gave me a trip to San Francisco for my birthday. We leave in 2 days. Staying at The Four Seasons, dinner reservations at Zuni and Aqua- still have 2 nights open. We would like ideas for fun,funky dinners for those 2 nights. What is the weather like - I know that the evenings are cool - what about daytime? Can we still get tickets to the baseball game? Any concerts, plays, art exhibits going on this weekend? Thanks for any and all help.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Laurie

I like Postrio which is a Wolfgang Puck restaurant.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Gayle

Alex,
Pick up the new Wine Spectator. The issue is all about San Francisco hotels and restaurants and details many local, neighbourhood, funky type places you may enjoy, as well as the stellar offerings. We love Zuni and Aqua. We also love Farallon, Plumpjack Cafe, Postrio, Mooses Grill (in North Beach), Rose Pistola (in North beach)and Venticello. Farallon, Plumpjack and Postrio are more upscale dining like Acqua. The others are casual and fun. You can read reviews of all on www.zagat.com.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 11:49 AM
kam

Betelnut over in Cow Hollow is a Pan Asian fun place. The Fly Trap is old SF, Crustacean. Go to SFGATE.com to see what's going on. Weather is in the 60s-70 and night much cooler when the fog rolls in. Can almost guarantee no rain.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 11:56 AM
Abby

Hi,

A very fun and very funky restaurant in SF is AsiaSF, which is in the SOMA district. Ask to sit at the bar (easier to have a normal conversation because the music is so loud) and enjoy their awesome fusion food...finger-type, so get stuff to share. The gender-illusionist wait staff perform every hour or so, and it is a very unique experience, and everybody seemed to be having a good time. Call ahead for reservations if you get the chance!

Another favorite is Foreign Cinema...sit on their heated patio to watch old black and white movies while dining on scrumptious (not too expensive) french cuising.

Have fun!

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 12:55 PM
Gail

Go to Teatro Zinzanni down near Pier 39. It's dinner and a show. It is so much fun and the food is decent.
Check out www.sfgate.com and click on entertainment.

As far as baseball, there are still good seats for the Giants against the Devil Rays. Not sure about this weekend however. Check out www.sfgiants.com Acme Chophouse at the stadium is great as well as MoMo's across the street.
Have a great time!

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 12:58 PM
Faina

bayarea.com and sfgate.com have all events, exhibits, etc... listed.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 01:19 PM
gail

foreign cinema for outdorr dining (or indoor) with a view of the latest cinema. Drive in speakers are mounted outside in thes trendy patio.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Kelly

If you're going in a couple days you should be able to get Giants tickets as they have interleague home games from 6/18-23. The first 3 are against the lowly Devil Rays, followed by 3 games against the Orioles. We went yesterday -- the weather has been great and should continue for a while.

You can order online at the Giants website, sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com or buy from a scalper before the game. If you want really great seats, check the DoublePlay ticket window at the Giants website -- it's where season ticket holders sell unused seats. Have fun!

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 03:13 PM
alex

What a great supply of information. Thank you so much. Guess I'll throw some clothes in a bag and take off. Alex

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 04:15 PM
kal

There are also some decent restaurants along the Embaracdero where you can dine outside and get a great view of the Bay Bridge, Treas Isl, Berkeley Hills and Oaktown.
Gordon Biersh, Palamino, Waterfront, Pier 23. McCormick's and Kuleto's at Ghir'Square has good seafood and a killer view.

Would "fun/funky" require a trip to Scoma's? Fog City Diner?
Kal

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 04:24 PM
kam

Oh yes---I forgot AsiaSF--that's a good one.Also Slanted Door for Vietnamese food and Black Cat for funkiness.