Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What's with the electronics in Times Square?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, so last year when I visited NYC for the first time, I was surprised by how absolutely dirt cheap some of the cameras and video recorders were in shops in Times Square. What's the deal? I'm returning soon and trying to decide if it's worth the risk?
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 02:33 AM

Most likely "gray market goods" - do a search on google and you'll get all the info you need about why they cost less than the retail packaged stuff you find in reputable stores. Besides gray market goods, some of the unscrupulous stores may actually be selling you something that's refurbished (but pretending it's new). Be careful.
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 08:48 AM
Rob

If the merchandise is "gray market" it is not covered by the manufacturer"s warranty. Some stores provide their own warranty coverage but I would be suspect as to the value of the warranty - especially in some Times Square stores
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 02:43 PM

I would avoid the stores in the Times Square area... Also, stay away from any store selling computers, electronics, cameras and luggage under the same roof. There are a bunch of them on 5th Ave in the 30's and 40's. Many of these places make their nut ripping off tourists.

Some good places:

J & R, down by City Hall.

B & H photo, 34th & 9th.

Daves, 6th Ave in the mid 20's. I'll get batter address info by tomorrow.
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 05:49 PM

I agree with Allan B. Never ever buy anything...even film...at these so-called electronic stores on Fifth Ave and in Times Square. Merchandise is usually refurbished, second-hand, no warranty/guarantee. Almost all the time the "original cartons' do not contain the originals and are sealed with tape, not factory sealed.
Go to J&R Music World/Computer World. Located way downtown on Park Row, by City Hall. Open 7 days or on the web: www.jr.com
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 03:07 AM

These stores are not generally selling the newest technology. They are likely selling digitial cameras and computers that are a few generations old and on their way to being obselete.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 04:36 AM

The very savvy shopper might get a good deal on a discontinued item at one of these places, but you would be bettor off going to one of the more legit (a relative term in this case) dealers such as Wall St., Cambridge Camera, B&H, etc. Even at these places you have to know your merchandise.Many years ago I worked at the NJ shore for a family who owned some of the camera stores in the Times Square area. Although they treated their employees well, and were hard working people, they have no qualms about ripping people off. Prices were often 'adjusted' based upon who the customer was.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 07:49 AM
jor

It is the same in tourist areas around the world. Time Square is filled with tourists. When the tourist returns home and finds that the product doesn't work or is used, what are the chances that he is going back to NYC for a refund??

These tourist trap stores are also in downtown San Antonio which is also filled with primarily tourists.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 08:30 AM

Hmm...I'm not as bearish on the Times Square electronics establishments. Competition is tremendous, the dealers get product "right off the boat," they do tremendous volume -- that all adds up to low prices. I've bought all kinds of personal electronics in Times Square since I was a child and, knock on wood, never had a problem.

My advice is check model numbers online before purchasing, obviously check to make sure the packaging is sealed and original, and be willing to walk way to get the best price.