Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

The Benjamin New York: what is this hotel close to?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2004, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Staying in New York for the first time and at The Benjamin. What sights is this hotel close to? Any shopping locations you can suggest that 16yr girl would enjoy going to. Thanks for the help.............
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 06:29 AM

The Benjamin is on E. 50th Street across from the Waldorf-Astoria, convenient to just about all midtown shopping (5th Avenue, Madison Ave, etc.). It's also close to a 6 subway stop which will take you downtown to Canal Street (Chinatown), Little Italy, Soho (Spring Street), etc.

The 6 train will also take you uptown to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Guggenheim, Frick, etc etc.

Enjoy!
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 06:53 AM

As Gekko said, it's close to everything.
It's midtown and there are subways and cabs. Any attraction in Manhattan is just a short trip away.
My teenage daughter really likes Canal Street and specifically Empire Luggage on Canal @ Broadway. NOT CHEAP, they are authorized Kipling dealers and have the largest selection I have ever seen.
Also Century 21 is too hectic for me, but she liked it.
Also, my daughter loves the name sign artists in Times Square. If you daughter likes these things, check a few of the artists because some are VASTLY better than others.
Our guy was in front of Sephora the whole time we were in town.
She buys them for all her friends as gifts.
Have fun...
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 09:05 AM

H & M is a chain of clothing stores with the latest trends at very cheap prices. There's one on 5th ave & 51 st. Daffy's is a discount store where she might find some things. The closest to you would be 57th st between Park & Lexington (near Bloomingdales).
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Are there any sporting goods stores nearby, golf? How about poster shops,picture frames etc...
Any negative views on The Benjamin I had a hard time finding the right hotel to stay in, wanted a luxury hotel
but not $400-$500 a night. Staying 4 nights........
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 01:43 PM

I have always LOVED the Benjamin. I seem to always get a king suite with a living room/pull out bed and a huge bedroom. A little kitchen is in the living room. Beautiful furnishings and my room was quiet as a whisper!
Nothing like the reviews I have read on tripadvisor.com
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 07:01 AM

The Benjamin got a lot of publicity when it opened for having a sleep concierge & a pillow menu. They guarantee you a good night's sleep.

I'm not a golfer but did a quick search & found the NY Golf Center (www.nygolfcenter.com) near Macy's. Macy's is a long walk (34th & Broadway) but maybe a $6 cab ride or a short subway ride. There used to be a Foot- Joy retail shop near Rockefeller Center but I think it closed. There are national sports chains like Sports Authority all over the city.
Poster shops everywhere. Look on Lexington Ave. For frames, you'll find them in most poster shops. Also in Office supply stores (like Office Max). There's a big office supply on 54th between 3rd & Lexington. Frames also at art supply stores. There's a Sam Flax art supply at Park Ave & 56th st.
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great shopping locations I know we will use them. Another question, we are going to see Hairspray is there a great place for italian food nearby? I was thinking of
Becca......
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 09:56 AM

If you mean BeccO it's good (not great)food & good value. Certainly if you're going pre-theater its' fine but get a reservation ASAP. I noticed on another thread that this is a birthday celebration for your daughter. If you go after theater, Orso (on the same street) is better food & you're more likely to spot celebs. Also more $$$ Not worth the extra $$ IMO for before theater-too rushed & celeb spotting unlikely

Joe Allen's (also on same street) is American & a good bet for affordable good food. Celeb spotting also possible- but again more likely after show.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Since this is our first time to a broadway play and it is a special 16th birthday for my daughter, dinner after the play is better? We have 8pm for March 17th, Orso sounds good. Any other suggestions for after the theatre?
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 06:52 AM

A lot of people don't like eating before the show because it's rushed (especially if you're coming from work) & some people find they're uncomfortable sitting for 2+ hours at a show having eaten a big meal. NYers tend to eat dinner later in general, than other parts of the country (8pm if you're not going to a show). So celeb sighting is more likely after theater. If you want to dine late, you could go for "tea" at 4 (do a text search here for tea in NYC-lots of places) so you're not starving. Or even grab a slice of pizza to tide you over.

That said, some folks don't enjoy eating so late (after 10pm). I'd hate for you to get indigestion from a late meal in the hopes of a celeb sighting that might not happen.

I'm not up on what 16 year olds would like. I just know celeb sighting is a "thing" & was pointing out where & when it might be likely in the theater district. Another option is to have a low key before theater dinner that night & do a more special restaurant on another night.